Sportsnet Elliotte Friedman: Some of the biggest questions the NHL faces after pausing its season

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
By going to 24 you bring big markets like Chicago, Montreal and New York back into the game and that will recoup some of the lost revenue.

Can you imagine the buzz if Montreal beat Edmonton in the first round and then had to play Boston?

Any playoffs suggestion that has the eternal losers in the playoffs has to be shut down.

1993 Forever!

Last edited:

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Player contracts expire July 1. The PA would need to agree to some kind of extension. It would be bad or if they didn't but it would still have to happen

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The same structure we know, with teams decided via points percentage after the season was halted on Wednesday: While, at this time, I’d love to know we’d see any kind of playoffs at all, this is a terrible idea. One player, whose team would barely miss under this plan, said he and his teammates would do anything possible to block it. Besides, it is uninspiring. We can do a lot better.

Well, it's a coin flip - it's either Vancouver or Columbus. Oddly enough, CBJ would fall to NYI due to NYI's 2 games in hand. Probably Vancouver, since they're tied with Nashville, and 1 point and 1 GP under Edmonton.

That said, I don't think just a 16-game tourney would necessarily be bad or unfair. There are a few edge cases, but you're always going to have those when you have a season where teams play an uneven number of games.

Frankly, I think we're in the denial phase. I would love the playoffs to happen. It would be a GREAT way to signal and celebrate the end of this period of isolation and the return to normalcy. But looking at what's happened in China, and what is happening in Italy, I think we're in for a total of about two months. That puts us in May. I think the best you can do from there is 8 teams, best-of-5 for two rounds, as then the SCF. Eight teams wouldn't leave much room for interpretation - the current top 2 in each division is pretty clear-cut. Unfortunately, it takes Toronto out of the picture, and having Toronto in the playoffs would be a HUGE moneymaker.

Of course, my "two months" guess for the period of isolation is just a hunch...and I'm wary of hunches, even my own. I expect to be surprised, in either direction.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Frankly, I think we're in the denial phase.

The most distressing thing I have seen on a mainstream media channel is there is now concern that some patients in China who had been classified as recovered are now exhibiting symptoms that are more severe than what they experienced previously.

Meanwhile, does anybody believe that Russia has only 59 cases????

Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS

Reactions: Estlin

armydoc19

Sep 5, 2008
If the regular season is done, which seems likely, that gives Pasta the Richard (with Ovie), and Rask/Halak the Jennings, right?
Who challenges Bergy for Selke? Couturier and Kopitar didn't exactly sizzle this year.
Rask is almost certainly a Vezina finalist, as well.

Reactions: bbfan419

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
The most distressing thing I have seen on a mainstream media channel is there is now concern that some patients in China who had been classified as recovered are now exhibiting symptoms that are more severe than what they experienced previously.

Meanwhile, does anybody believe that Russia has only 59 cases????

Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS
Numbers are about to sky rocket. 14 of those cases were in the last few days.

Russia closed the border with China back in January, has been forcing thousands of people to quarantine. Perhaps there have been more cases, but the government here has been very proactive at least.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
If the playoffs are not best of 7 game series then the cup should not be awarded.

I disagree. To me it's about precedent, it's been done in the past, why not now if need be? As long as the final is seven games, I'm OK with it. I just don't want to see any March Madness style tournament, or anything that allows teams that would otherwise not have made it, be given a chance to participate.

Reactions: bbfan419

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
That won't be an issue as the NHLPA knows they need revenue or otherwise escrow will be off the charts.

The CBA is virtually non existent at this point. There is nothing in it that deals with this situation. Everything has to be negotiated between the two parties this one time, and given the way the two sides are working on this together, they will come to an agreement.

College free agency, the draft and their free agency, unrestricted free agency, restricted free agency, buyout period, they will all get pushed back.

Reactions: Strafer

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Well, it's a coin flip - it's either Vancouver or Columbus. Oddly enough, CBJ would fall to NYI due to NYI's 2 games in hand. Probably Vancouver, since they're tied with Nashville, and 1 point and 1 GP under Edmonton.

That said, I don't think just a 16-game tourney would necessarily be bad or unfair. There are a few edge cases, but you're always going to have those when you have a season where teams play an uneven number of games.

Frankly, I think we're in the denial phase. I would love the playoffs to happen. It would be a GREAT way to signal and celebrate the end of this period of isolation and the return to normalcy. But looking at what's happened in China, and what is happening in Italy, I think we're in for a total of about two months. That puts us in May. I think the best you can do from there is 8 teams, best-of-5 for two rounds, as then the SCF. Eight teams wouldn't leave much room for interpretation - the current top 2 in each division is pretty clear-cut. Unfortunately, it takes Toronto out of the picture, and having Toronto in the playoffs would be a HUGE moneymaker.

Of course, my "two months" guess for the period of isolation is just a hunch...and I'm wary of hunches, even my own. I expect to be surprised, in either direction.

If this only lasts two months , I for one would be very surprised. I do hope that's right though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad