Sportsnet Elliotte Friedman: Some of the biggest questions the NHL faces after pausing its season

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

WHAT HAS TO HAPPEN FOR THE LEAGUE TO DECIDE IT’S SAFE TO RESUME GAMES? WOULD THE LEAGUE COME BACK AND PLAY IN FRONT OF EMPTY ARENAS?

That’s impossible to know for sure, but one thing several interested parties (executives, agents, players) agree on is that you can’t have a situation where you start up again, then have to stop. You can’t resume until you have as much assurance as can possibly exist that you’re going to be able to finish.

During his Friday appearance on Hockey Central, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said the season will resume “when it’s appropriate and when it’s safe so that everybody can be comfortable. (Our governments) will tell us. We’re not equipped to say the pandemic is over.”

To be perfectly honest, it could come down to how we live our lives the next few weeks. If we’re smart about cleanliness, working from home (as much as you can) and not overcrowding — especially if sick — we’ve got a better chance of a quicker recovery. Make good choices, everyone.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I can tell you this with certainty - the latest a Game 7 of the SCF can be is July 23rd as the Olympics begin the next night on NBC.

Friedman suggests that we could see 24 teams in the playoffs with the Top 8 getting a bye in Round 1 and then 9 plays 24, 10 plays 23 etc

Could be 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 5 BUT it brings teams like Chicago and Montreal back into the picture - In the second round, the Bruins play the lowest seed remaining and with our luck, Montreal beats Edmonton in the first round and then plays us. :rolleyes:

Maybe they make Round 2 3 out of 5 as well

For teams 25-31 they get the chance in the draft lottery.

As Bruins fans, we have no complaint with a format like this because we are the #1 seed

upload_2020-3-14_1-38-59.png

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
If the playoffs are not best of 7 game series then the cup should not be awarded.

Best of 7 sucks. Worst part of pro sports and a tv money grab. Single elimination is why college is popular.

Now hockey is a different beast and best of 7 was a part of 16/20 teams making the playoffs or something like that at one point.

Something different will be fine and we have the best record so can’t complain if it’s best of 3 or 5 at all it won’t harm us.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Owners get the money from playoff games but this is extrodinary conditions. I applaude them if they knock it back from 7 games to 5.

As fans we dont want to spend our summer nights tied to the tv here in canada so get it done before july if possible

As for opening it up to 24 teams... forcing a play in for middle 16.... it would make regular season more meaningful

Fans do say... just make the playoffs... so i think this could work

Put top 8 straight through to round 2... thats their reward

Make next 16 play a 3 game opening round but i suggest all 3 games are in top seed rink. Elliminate travel. Get it over with asap. It does give teams 17-24 some chance but they really have to overcome the odds

And yes... save the lottery for the bottom 8 teams that truely deserve it

I wouldnt mind regular season got knocked back to 76 games

4x7 in your own division 28
2x24 rest of league 48

6 less regular season games but an extra round of playoffs with a 3 game showdown is something i would go for

Reactions: bbfan419

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
Based upon everything that I've read, the idea that this thing is going away in a matter of weeks is absurd. I wouldn't be surprised to see global sport paused for a not-insignificant number of months. The logistics are going to seriously tricky.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Owners get the money from playoff games but this is extrodinary conditions. I applaude them if they knock it back from 7 games to 5.

As fans we dont want to spend our summer nights tied to the tv here in canada so get it done before july if possible

As for opening it up to 24 teams... forcing a play in for middle 16.... it would make regular season more meaningful

Fans do say... just make the playoffs... so i think this could work

Put top 8 straight through to round 2... thats their reward

Make next 16 play a 3 game opening round but i suggest all 3 games are in top seed rink. Elliminate travel. Get it over with asap. It does give teams 17-24 some chance but they really have to overcome the odds

And yes... save the lottery for the bottom 8 teams that truely deserve it

I wouldnt mind regular season got knocked back to 76 games

4x7 in your own division 28
2x24 rest of league 48

6 less regular season games but an extra round of playoffs with a 3 game showdown is something i would go for
This all sounds good to me, the regular season is too long anyway and having a play in round best of 3 would be great, they use to do that many years ago in the late 70's for sure the first round was a best of 3 and the top teams got a bye to the second round.

Reactions: Strafer and Dr Hook

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Why not run the playoffs based on point percentage and normal format (or best of 5 etc).

Adding more teams is a gimmick. Perhaps that is the intent... get more fans involved.

Reactions: BMC and Strafer

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
24 team playoff would be lame. I can get on board with a short round 1 and 2, but conference final and the cup final has to be 7.

maybe first round is 3 games
Second round 5 games
Then 7

i think this is likely all a moot point anyway. Just a general vibe (read: zero expertise on the matter) i get is that it’s gonna be minimum two months before things are considerably better worldwide.

member 96824

I can tell you this with certainty - the latest a Game 7 of the SCF can be is July 23rd as the Olympics begin the next night on NBC.

Friedman suggests that we could see 24 teams in the playoffs with the Top 8 getting a bye in Round 1 and then 9 plays 24, 10 plays 23 etc

Could be 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 5 BUT it brings teams like Chicago and Montreal back into the picture - In the second round, the Bruins play the lowest seed remaining and with our luck, Montreal beats Edmonton in the first round and then plays us. :rolleyes:

Maybe they make Round 2 3 out of 5 as well

For teams 25-31 they get the chance in the draft lottery.

As Bruins fans, we have no complaint with a format like this because we are the #1 seed

View attachment 335807

let’s just skip all that hooplah, get the duck boats ready, and put all 31 team in the lottery.

Last edited by a moderator:

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Why not just begin the playoffs using the standings as they were when the season “ended.”

First round = best of three - 1-1-1.

Second and Third Rounds = best of five - 2-2-1.
Stanley Cup Final = Best of Seven.

The same for the Draft and Draft Lottery... just use the standings already in place.

If this lasts a very long time, they might have to thin out the playoff field by going to only three or even two rounds based on points and conference standings.

If this situation showed little to no improvement in the coming weeks and months, MY nuclear option, if I were in charge, would be to find a neutral site somewhere; pit the Bruins and Blues against each other in an empty arena; and have a best of seven Final on TV. The top two teams play for the Cup.

From a hockey standpoint, this will be interesting.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Until we get more testing done and get our arms around how widespread this thing is, I just don't see anything starting back up until June 1 at the earliest.

Assuming that's the case and with he Olympics starting in late July, you've got about 7 1/2 weeks to get it all done.

If you go 8 teams in each Conference, you pretty much have to go best of 3 in the first round (Week of June 1 with a day off between games)

Round 2 would be a best of 5 (Start the weekend of June 6-7 with a day off in between) that would end around June 14-15.

That gives you just enough time remaining to have the Conference and Cup finals be 7 games and still make NBCs Olympic Deadline, assuming the Olympics even happen......

Last edited:

xjoeyc23x

Apr 1, 2015
Let's just give the Bruins the cup now, most points in regular season wins it.

I can see the banner now being raised.

Boston Bruins
Stanley Cup Champions
Covid19 - 2020

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
There's a lot of good posts on this page. If any SCF is impossible, I don't think it's crazy to give the regular season champs the Cup. They've earned it and they do it in the EPL.

Reactions: Strafer

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Single elimination with tons of teams? Why not. But yeah I am skeptical if the season is even gonna get restarted. I'd be thrilled if it did. I miss hockey already

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
I predict an abridged playoffs with the Cup awarded by July 23 or so (before Olympics start assuming they will happen). Best 3 of 5 is fine (try for best of 7 for Cup final) with a play-in game for seeds 7-10 in each conference.

What I would hope they do then is start next season (2020-21) 1 month later to allow for a proper summer of rest. Condense the schedule a bit so the season ends at the end of April. Cup awarded by late June. Then back to normal for 2022-23.

armydoc19

Sep 5, 2008
If the regular season is done, which seems likely, that gives Pasta the Richard (with Ovie), and Rask/Halak the Jennings, right?
Who challenges Bergy for Selke? Couturier and Kopitar didn't exactly sizzle this year.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
By going to 24 you bring big markets like Chicago, Montreal and New York back into the game and that will recoup some of the lost revenue.

Can you imagine the buzz if Montreal beat Edmonton in the first round and then had to play Boston?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad