Sportsnet Elliotte Friedman: Some of the biggest questions the NHL faces after pausing its season

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
If this only lasts two months , I for one would be very surprised. I do hope that's right though.

Yup. Since the CDC is recommending no sports for 8 weeks...that's May 11. And that's a preliminary recommendation. I can't believe they'll go from 50 people to 50,000 right on that date, even if everything "looks good" - which I don't think it will. That's a best case scenario - it might easily take until June or July - or longer - for the world to get back to quasi-normal.

I think we're gonna kiss the playoffs goodbye. Wouldn't surprise me if they held off on formally announcing anything in order to hold on to STH money. Bruins STHs have 6 regular season games worth of cash tied up because they're "postponed", not cancelled. There is no fairy tale world in which 6 regular season games are going to be played at the Garden. Even if you assume that hockey in August could be a thing and that people, for some reason, were "aching" for regular season games, the most they'd probably do in terms of the regular season is maybe "top off" each team - 72 games, get as close to 36 home games as possible, so nobody has a game in hand.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Yup. Since the CDC is recommending no sports for 8 weeks...that's May 11. And that's a preliminary recommendation. I can't believe they'll go from 50 people to 50,000 right on that date, even if everything "looks good" - which I don't think it will. That's a best case scenario - it might easily take until June or July - or longer - for the world to get back to quasi-normal.

I think we're gonna kiss the playoffs goodbye. Wouldn't surprise me if they held off on formally announcing anything in order to hold on to STH money. Bruins STHs have 6 regular season games worth of cash tied up because they're "postponed", not cancelled. There is no fairy tale world in which 6 regular season games are going to be played at the Garden. Even if you assume that hockey in August could be a thing and that people, for some reason, were "aching" for regular season games, the most they'd probably do in terms of the regular season is maybe "top off" each team - 72 games, get as close to 36 home games as possible, so nobody has a game in hand.
Whenever this is done... take the top points-leaders in each conference and have a Final. Even if it’s next February.

I’m itching for Bruins-Blues Part II.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
my sources tell me that if the season were to resume this year, the Habs players have all petitioned NOT to return regardless

I`m in Barbados, swam with turtles yesterday, positive I saw Gallagher in the water with us

didn`t read the article but what will this stoppage/cancellation do to the cap if anything?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
If the regular season is done, which seems likely, that gives Pasta the Richard (with Ovie), and Rask/Halak the Jennings, right?
Who challenges Bergy for Selke? Couturier and Kopitar didn't exactly sizzle this year.

With everything going on, THIS is your priority? Maximizing Bruin individual awards?

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
If the NHL can resume again in late April, I'd like to see them play a four game regular season finish with the two wild card teams facing off against the 9th and 10th place teams all four games. Start the playoffs in May and go through the end of June if necessary.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Trying to figure out who will make the playoffs is going to be a mess if the NHL decides to go directly to the playoffs. There are situations where bubble playoff teams have games in hand on other teams. The standings are so close that every game in hand matters (Points are at a premium). I suppose win pct can certainly be used if no more reg season games can be played, but boy is that going to make the teams that barely miss the playoffs sore since they won't get a chance to play as many games as other teams and make the playoffs.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
If the NHL can resume again in late April, I'd like to see them play a four game regular season finish with the two wild card teams facing off against the 9th and 10th place teams all four games. Start the playoffs in May and go through the end of June if necessary.

The NBA is looking at a 3 month hiatus, so I think we can expect a similar timeline for the NHL. I feel like best case is that we see a Final Four-type scenario, but it's going to be really tough to get anything done before July, when it may just be too difficult to have ice that's NHL-quality.

LavioletteScores

Nov 20, 2011
I don't see why the NHL wouldn't resume this current season in the fall and turn the 2020-21 season into something akin to a lockout year. As others have said here, I'm highly skeptical of the season resuming in April, May, or even June. Games in July would be really tough, and the entire playoff would have to be finished in like a three week span.

Give a real run of playoffs in the fall and give yourself more time to figure out next season's layout, I say.

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
I asked this earlier but in the corona thread.

If no season is there a rule that Boston gets the cup. Or is that just hoopla

Save By Thomas

Jive Turkey
Nov 12, 2011
The armpit of California
I don't see why the NHL wouldn't resume this current season in the fall and turn the 2020-21 season into something akin to a lockout year. As others have said here, I'm highly skeptical of the season resuming in April, May, or even June. Games in July would be really tough, and the entire playoff would have to be finished in like a three week span.

Give a real run of playoffs in the fall and give yourself more time to figure out next season's layout, I say.

Then what happens to/with players with expiring contracts?

Reactions: LavioletteScores

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
There is no such rule. I know someone tweeted that there was but it is horse shit.

The NHL wants to award the Stanley Cup, but it wants it competed for in one form or another.

Thank you!

Probably for the best. I was going to sell t-shirts and mugs but I spelt champions and 2020 wrong.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I can’t see them having time to get in any sort of playoffs prior to the Olympics. Which in my head means the season is a total wash or they play an abridged playoffs in the fall. No clue how that impacts next season though. You’d probably be looking at a half season for 2020-21.

I’m living life just assuming that this season is axed. Nothing in the world right now gives me any hope they’ll get on the ice any time soon

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Huge issue. A lot of traded picks have conditions. Teams that have dealt 1st round picks to better their teams now won't have a chance to compete for the Cup. Do they get their picks back? Would all traded picks move to the following year?

My point is, if the season and playoffs are canceled their is a lot on the table for NHL Franchises to figure out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->