Friedman: Elliotte’s Pre- Free Agency Predictions

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Where's his prediction on Alex Galchenyuk? Or is he doing his Leafs overlords a favor by sweeping under the rug the fact that Galchenyuks a UFA?

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Last thing the Rangers need is another skill winger and we have a ton of cap space so cap savings aren't really a selling point.
Well, you got one less than last year, and a limited cap hit WILL be a selling feature next season for you guys I imagine.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Where's his prediction on Alex Galchenyuk? Or is he doing his Leafs overlords a favor by sweeping under the rug the fact that Galchenyuks a UFA?
Galchenyuk is a <1.2M signing. Pretty inconsequential. He'll have maybe 2 or 3 teams looking at him. A bunch of better players were not mentioned on the list and you are upset that Galchenyuk was left out?

Zach Hyman is going to join the oilers. Whether it's at 5.7 or 5 isn't much of an issue. He'll be a 50-60 point player for half that deal and start sucking the other half anyway. Oilers build well they'll win a cup with him on the team at either of those cap hits.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Galchenyuk is a <1.2M signing. Pretty inconsequential. He'll have maybe 2 or 3 teams looking at him. A bunch of better players were not mentioned on the list and you are upset that Galchenyuk was left out?

Zach Hyman is going to join the oilers. Whether it's at 5.7 or 5 isn't much of an issue. He'll be a 50-60 point player for half that deal and start sucking the other half anyway. Oilers build well they'll win a cup with him on the team at either of those cap hits.
Im a Gally fan so I've been looking for news about him. If this list is only for premier UFAs then it makes sense. Although it wasn't too long ago that Galchenyuk would make a list like this. He's fallen very far.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
But wouldn't his upgrade be costlier still?

I’m pretty sure it’s going to be someone like Danault (reported ask is 5.5x6) or Dvorak from Arizona. Strome is going to demand 6.5M+ on his next deal most likely. I don’t think they’re going to go to an upgrade in a traditional sense. I think they feel that if you’re at least moderately skilled (Danault 47/53 point seasons, Dvorak good offensive output relative to super low scoring Coyotes, etc) Panarin will make sure you’re productive and so they want someone who does the other things well. Wins faceoffs, backchecks, cycles and keeps the pressure on, etc.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Even after signing Shesterkin and Chytil we'll have like $15m in free space. Really not a selling point at all.
Sure, you have 15M now, maybe 10M+ once you fill the rest of your roster. But:

1. You have like 7M+ in potential performance bonuses to worry about, so you can't really go to close to the cap.
2. Again, what happens next season when Zibanejed, Strome, Fox, Blais, Kravstov, Kakko, Strome, Gauthier, and Georgiev all need new contracts?

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
montreal will for sure get savard to shore up the right side . deangelo would be great for the powerplay to but being realistic he'll be settling in the south some where . the montreal media wouldn't give that a chance but he'd be ideal splitting a 4/5 role with savard on the right side .

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
But wouldn't his upgrade be costlier still?

Could be--but Strome hasn't added defense. He's not a 1C, and he's maybe too good for a 3C role, but he lacks the defense to fill the 2C role that the Rangers are looking for.

The big question is if he can strike out on his own or if he is a product of Panarin. While Panarin was out, he produced, so there's some real question marks there heading into this year.

If the rumors are true and Zibanejad is seeking something close to a Eichel contract, plus Fox needing a contract, the cap squeeze is going to be on sooner rather than later.

I don't agree with the "get way tougher" mentality. The Rangers had this in 2011-2015, and while they were tough to play against, they lacked firepower. Now, they have firepower, but they're not as tough to play against. There needs to be a middle ground.

The Rangers do not have a shutdown center unless you think that's Kevin Rooney.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Im a Gally fan so I've been looking for news about him. If this list is only for premier UFAs then it makes sense. Although it wasn't too long ago that Galchenyuk would make a list like this. He's fallen very far.
Ah, I see, yeah he has fallen from his MTL/Arizona days. Before his decent stint with the Leafs, he was being rumored to be heading to the KHL if things didn't work out now.

Not sure where he goes now, but he probably needs at least a year of 35-50 point production before a team should give him 3-4 years and 4M or so.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
6x5 for Cokeman? not buying that but if he DOES get it, it better not be from Dubas.

I do want Cokeman but not at 6x5

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Ah, I see, yeah he has fallen from his MTL/Arizona days. Before his decent stint with the Leafs, he was being rumored to be heading to the KHL if things didn't work out now.

Not sure where he goes now, but he probably needs at least a year of 35-50 point production before a team should give him 3-4 years and 4M or so.
What do you think the Leafs offer him?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
What do you think the Leafs offer him?
Hopefully 1 year 1.2M tops. His play could be a mirage and he could fall off to how he was with the Pens and Wild

Despite playing with Nylander and Tavares he only produced for around 35ish points which aren't that good. I wouldn't give him much of a raise. If he got an offer above 1.2M I hope the leafs walk away

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad