Speculation: Elliott wants out

Status
Not open for further replies.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
Let's try and keep in mind that Elliot was hurt and when he came back he was a hot mess in about half his games after his return. At the time it was obvious that Hitch should go to Jake Allen if the Blues had any chance of winning in the playoffs. Late in the year Allen was playing MUCH better than Ell's and the coach did the only he could at the time. If you don't believe me just go look at the numbers the last month and a half of the year. Elliott is a team player, leader and experienced goalie but he ha the same weakness for the soft goal people hate in Allen. I thought the goalie situation was one of the few positives for Hitchcock. It is exasperated by the team trading for Miller and Halak before him. Jake is still a very young goaltender so those lumping him with Elliott are just wrong. I personally would like Ells back as our #2 guy because i think Allen has a much higher ceiling and Ells is the perfect back up.I do think the coaching change will make a difference though and it is possible no on offers him a clear path to start 60 games and they just decide to mend the fences. If Army does try and facilitate a trade i would think i will be to a team where Brian can play most nights. I still think this could work out and from where i sit the goalie position is not our biggest problem.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Brian Elliott is Gold. Stop focusing on him and Jake. Brian owns a stack of records and is the goalie who played the only series we have won.

But you want to trade him?

We got enough goalie depth in the system to choke a horse and people still whine about needing a goalie?

STOP. Right now. Its nonsense.

Sign a few PROVEN ELITE FORWARDS who can take the average talented players we got to the next level. Package up Osh Backes and whoever else we got. We have an asset of depth that gives us the ability to do this, depth thats been mismanaged. Don't play Lind and Bortz? Are you mad???

Start there. Change the entire outlook overnight. And for Gods sake, get an HC hungry to win.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Brian Elliott is Gold. Stop focusing on him and Jake. Brian owns a stack of records and is the goalie who played the only series we have won.

We got enough goalie depth in the system to choke a horse and people still whine about needing a goalie?

Sign a few PROVEN ELITE FORWARDS who can take the average talented players we got to the next level. Package up Osh Backes and whoever else we got. We have an asset of depth that gives us the ability to do this, depth thats been mismanaged. Don't play Lind and Bortz? Are you mad???
Start there. Change the entire outlook overnight. And for Gods sake, get an HC hungry to win.

I think you'll be highly disappointed then. Those kind of players don't just make it to free agency.

And yes, play Lindbohm and Bortuzzo. They were two of our six most effective.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

I too would like a few of these unicorns to join our team. Are they cost controlled too?

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

For the sake of discussion, who is on your list of "proven elite forwards"?

When you say "sign" you're talking about UFAs, right?

timtindall

May 10, 2013
st. louis
Lou Korac ‏@lkorac10 3m3 minutes ago
Armstrong says he sees a goalie tandem for next year. Allen and Elliott. #stlblues
13 retweets 7 favorites

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Armstrong says he sees a goalie tandem for next year. Allen and Elliott. #stlblues
13 retweets 7 favorites

Hi folks. Devils fan here. Sorry about the loss to Minny. I was pulling for you guys. I have to ask this. All hypothetical of course, but most on the Devils board think that an adequate return for Cory Schneider would be Tarasenko AND Jake Allen. I think they are certifiably nuts. Please tell me you guys wouldn't do that.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Hi folks. Devils fan here. Sorry about the loss to Minny. I was pulling for you guys. I have to ask this. All hypothetical of course, but most on the Devils board think that an adequate return for Cory Schneider would be Tarasenko AND Jake Allen. I think they are certifiably nuts. Please tell me you guys wouldn't do that.

In no universe would we give up Tarasenko alone for Corey Schneider, never mind Jake Allen.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I'm fairly certainly that any phone call Army receives that has the name Tarasenko involved is immediately shot down. At this point he is our big game player. I don't really think there's any realistic scenario in which he is traded.

BlueBeard

Aug 17, 2008

Not even remotely close to being a realistic return from the Blues.

Please tell them to post that to the main trade boards so everyone can share in the lulz of that idea.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

The list of players we would trade Tarasenko for can be counted on one hand. Schneider isn't on it.

Goalies in general, even elite goalies, don't command that kind of trade value. But Tarasenko is untouchable in trades, or else I'm done being a Blues fan.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
The list of players we would trade Tarasenko for can be counted on one hand. Schneider isn't on it.

Goalies in general, even elite goalies, don't command that kind of trade value. But Tarasenko is untouchable in trades, or else I'm done being a Blues fan.

Nice to know I haven't lost my mind :D

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

i'll clarify this statement. we're not insane.

we don't view tarasenko+allen as an "adequate return" for cory. it's ludicrous overpayment, and we get that. but it would take that kind of a return for us to trade him -- we wouldn't move our recently-acquired, recently-extended top-10 goaltender for an "adequate return."

does st. louis do that deal? hell no.

so for those of you that were appalled, hope this clears things up. sorry this was dragged to your board.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
If Elliot actually DOES ask for a trade, would you guys think Scrivens would be something good for Allen to work with? Maybe a package deal with oshie or Bergy + prospect for Eberle too?

Just throwing ideas around. Personally I'd hate to see the moose go.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
i'll clarify this statement. we're not insane.

we don't view tarasenko+allen as an "adequate return" for cory. it's ludicrous overpayment, and we get that. but it would take that kind of a return for us to trade him -- we wouldn't move our recently-acquired, recently-extended top-10 goaltender for an "adequate return."

does st. louis do that deal? hell no.

so for those of you that were appalled, hope this clears things up. sorry this was dragged to your board.

I don't understand why Devils fans are coming here still talking about this. Its a ridiculous trade offer that no one with a glint of realism will give a moment's thought. Is there seriously a discussion going on here?

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I don't understand why Devils fans are coming here still talking about this. Its a ridiculous trade offer that no one with a glint of realism will give a moment's thought. Is there seriously a discussion going on here?

no, the thought has been dismissed by most devils fans on our board, and i have no idea why it would be brought over to your board. hence the apology.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
13 retweets 7 favorites

If Elliott is back next season, I don't want any doubt over who our #1 goalie is. Name Elliott as the start, even if he is only playing 48-50 games, I want the coach to come out and say in preseason that Elliott is our #1 goalie.

If Elliot actually DOES ask for a trade, would you guys think Scrivens would be something good for Allen to work with? Maybe a package deal with oshie or Bergy + prospect for Eberle too?

Just throwing ideas around. Personally I'd hate to see the moose go.

I wouldn't really be interested in Scrivens.

The Oilers should trade Eberle, but I think they view him right alongside RNH.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
If Elliott is back next season, I don't want any doubt over who our #1 goalie is. Name Elliott as the start, even if he is only playing 48-50 games, I want the coach to come out and say in preseason that Elliott is our #1 goalie.

I wouldn't really be interested in Scrivens.

The Oilers should trade Eberle, but I think they view him right alongside RNH.

I think its more likely they name Allen the starter, or at least view him as the starter. But there is less pressure on him if they just let it happen and call it a tandem. Eh.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014

You can blame me. The discussion was over the value of goaltending and what Schneider means to the Devils and if we were to trade him what would we be looking for in return. Since Tarasenko kept popping up and I thought that was crazy I decided to come over here and see what Blues fans thought of it. Sorry for the breach in protocol if it was one.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I think its more likely they name Allen the starter, or at least view him as the starter. But there is less pressure on him if they just let it happen and call it a tandem. Eh.

If we do view Allen as the #1, then you're right about saying go with a tandem. I think that would be a mistake. He had a hot streak down the stretch, but I still think Elliott is the better goalie.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
If we do view Allen as the #1, then you're right about saying go with a tandem. I think that would be a mistake. He had a hot streak down the stretch, but I still think Elliott is the better goalie.

I'm of two minds. I do think Allen has much better puck handling, and better rebound control/direction. That had a bigger impact on the transition game than I'd appreciated. Elliott on the other hand just plays better more consistently. I think he has a higher level of 'fight' in him. And his concentration seems to be more steady.

I think Allen can still develop some of those attributes. That last 5 hole goal keeps coming back to my mind, though.....and I just have a hard time getting enthusiastic about him being the guy to lead the team to the Cup.

I see some posters on here getting optimistic about key off-season changes. I'm just not feeling it. I'm still feeling hopeless about the team's future.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
If Elliott is here next year, I don't see him not being the starter. He has to be the most resilient and mentally tough goaltender we've had in a long time. He's going be hungry and have a chip on his shoulder.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If Elliott is here next year, I don't see him not being the starter. He has to be the most resilient and mentally tough goaltender we've had in a long time. He's going be hungry and have a chip on his shoulder.
I think it depends on what Armstrong and the coach want though. As we saw in these playoffs, if they want Allen to be the guy, then he will be the guy as long as he doesn't completely bomb in camp. I don't think Elliott's performance will really matter, because they know what they have in him. Allen controls his own fate from this point on, IMO. But I do think Elliott deserves another chance at the starting role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad