Recalled/Assigned: Elliott Sent Back Down to LE

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
not even sure if he was a better option than zanon at this point, i hope there is some growth to his game over the off-season, seems he hasn't progressed much at all over the last 2 years.

I disagree that there "hasn't been much progression over the last 2 years".

He came up last year and was a real pleasant surprise on the Defense...when it came to providing Offense.

His stumbles were being able to play effective defense, something that many posters thought would happen. And this year he has either A) Been unlucky or B) Injured (remember he missed a good chunk of time) or C) Been in Colorado but put in positions NOT to succeed.

I'm not saying that he should have been handed 22+ min a night and all the PP time he could handle right away, but Sacco COULD have tried pairing him with either EJ or Hejda, to see if the same thing that happened with Hejda/Barrie could have happened with Elliott...instead he puts him with Zanon/ROB/SOB and we're surprised that he doesn't look great?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I would rather have Elliott in there over some of the older useless defensemen but he hasn't shown anything since getting called up. No impact at all.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
I disagree that there "hasn't been much progression over the last 2 years".

He came up last year and was a real pleasant surprise on the Defense...when it came to providing Offense.

His stumbles were being able to play effective defense, something that many posters thought would happen. And this year he has either A) Been unlucky or B) Injured (remember he missed a good chunk of time) or C) Been in Colorado but put in positions NOT to succeed.

I'm not saying that he should have been handed 22+ min a night and all the PP time he could handle right away, but Sacco COULD have tried pairing him with either EJ or Hejda, to see if the same thing that happened with Hejda/Barrie could have happened with Elliott...instead he puts him with Zanon/ROB/SOB and we're surprised that he doesn't look great?

when i refer to the last two years i date back to his first call up, and yes i agree his incision of offence was great last year, i thought that with the terrible back end play from our current offensively stifled group and his "ability" to make rushing plays he would help but he has not, he was more effective at it in his first call up. he seems to have lost his swagger from a first call up, almost similar to holos in terms of what i've seen on the ice from him

defensively i haven't seen any improvement in my eyes, i thought he might have shown some improvement but i haven't seen it.

my mistake for forgetting he was injured at some point, i vaguely remember it, but not for an extended period of time.

i'm agreeing that sacco also isn't giving him the opportunity or chances for him to succeed , but unlike barrie i haven't seen elliot do anything that is going to say " i'm going to stay up with the club" or any play that has made it a tough decision for the club to send him back down, first year up he was doing rushes taking chances, now he's not, maybe he's listening to what the D coach is saying (quinn?) , regardless a player getting called up needs to make a statement, and he more or less is just another bottom pair on this wretched defence.

when i refer to him showing no growth , growth may have happened but if he isn't going to use his talents or seemingly fight for the roster , then what's the point even if he is twice the player. he was much better his first 25 or so games in the nhl. a year and a half later he should be trying to do more than he was.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
when i refer to the last two years i date back to his first call up, and yes i agree his incision of offence was great last year, i thought that with the terrible back end play and ability to make rushing plays he would help but he has not, he was more effective at it in his first call up. he seems to have lost his swagger from a first call up, almost similar to holos in terms of what i've seen on the ice from him

defensively i haven't seen any improvement in my eyes, i thought he might have shown some improvement but i haven't seen it.

my mistake for forgetting he was injured at some point, i vaguely remember it, but not for an extended period of time.

i'm agreeing that sacco also isn't giving him the opportunity or chances for him to succeed , but unlike barrie i haven't seen elliot do anything that is going to say " i'm going to stay up with the club" or any play that has made it a tough decision for the club to send him back down, first year up he was doing rushes taking chances, now he's not, maybe he's listening to what the D coach is saying (quinn?) , regardless a player getting called up needs to make a statement, and he more or less is just another bottom pair on this wretched defence.

when i refer to him showing no growth , growth may have happened but if he isn't going to use his talents or seemingly fight for the roster , then what's the point even if he is twice the player. he was much better his first 25 or so games in the nhl. a year and a half later he should be trying to do more than he was.

But, just to point out your statement on Barrie, he didn't do anything to say "I'm going to stay up with the club". You'll remember that he was placed with Hejda in the first game after EJ was concussed.

Until then yeah, Barrie showed some nice stuff, but also some rookie struggles and he was in/out of the lineup.

I mean it was incredibly stupid for Sacco to not even TRY an EJ-Elliott pairing, because Elliott couldn't be WORSE than Hunwick on EJ's side, could he have been?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
But, just to point out your statement on Barrie, he didn't do anything to say "I'm going to stay up with the club". You'll remember that he was placed with Hejda in the first game after EJ was concussed.

Until then yeah, Barrie showed some nice stuff, but also some rookie struggles and he was in/out of the lineup.

I mean it was incredibly stupid for Sacco to not even TRY an EJ-Elliott pairing, because Elliott couldn't be WORSE than Hunwick on EJ's side, could he have been?

Or Zanon for that matter. I fail to see how Barrie was any worse than Zanon in any aspect whatsoever.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010

sure barrie had more chances, but he was much more effective then elliot in terms of chipping in on the offence, and it was his defensive play that seemingly sent him back, although with our vet's playing at a similar level i think that's why i was upset he was sent down, but he certainly has his setback too, but with his offesnive play i thought it was enough to keep him up rather than play zanon/O'B/SOB

and we won't know until it happened unfortunately, but we all know sacco doesn't like to change things up, even if they aren't working.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Or Zanon for that matter. I fail to see how Barrie was any worse than Zanon in any aspect whatsoever.

Barrie can't back off, let the opposition easily enter the zone, and drop down to block the shot like Zanon can. There are few guys in the league who can do that. Luckily, we have both Zanon and O'Byrne to get the job done.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
They all do it. It's the damn "system". Let all opposition skate freely to the faceoff dots or below before making a play on the man. GREAT strategy. :shakehead

I don't know why we switched to this super passive coverage system. Avs have always given up the blue line without a fight under Sacco, but surely our defenders played the puck carrier much more aggressive in the past?

O'Byrne is infuriating to watch. He just backs off until he's in the lap of Varly and the puck is in the net.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Don't think we'll see any more call-ups if the defense stays healthy for the rest of the season, unless my wish comes true at the deadline and O'Byrne, Zanon, and Hunwick are all traded for 38th round picks in the ECHL draft

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't know why we switched to this super passive coverage system. Avs have always given up the blue line without a fight under Sacco, but surely our defenders played the puck carrier much more aggressive in the past?

O'Byrne is infuriating to watch. He just backs off until he's in the lap of Varly and the puck is in the net.

Can't tell if the acquisition of Zanon made them all that much more passive (the Skrastins Effect) or if Quinn/Sacco are actually trying a new, horribly ineffective strategy to make up for the supreme lack of speed on the back end.

I still think O'Byrne is playing with some sort of injury. Can't think of any other explanation as to why he's been so ridiculously soft this season. Probably a case of "lockout groin" that's been befalling a lot of players.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Wilson takes one look at this system and defense the Avs are icing, realizes it's going to destroy his value, so he got injured again :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad