Recalled/Assigned: Elliott Sent Back Down to LE

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
Tank on!

Do players get paid their "NHL" salary based on a certain number of games played with a two-way contract?

Wonder if that's why Barrie wasn't called up. Ownership being cheap.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Tank on!

Do players get paid their "NHL" salary based on a certain number of games played with a two-way contract?

Wonder if that's why Barrie wasn't called up. Ownership being cheap.

They can get bonuses based on games played. There was something about that last year where if Elliott played 1 more game he got a bonus.

rpontbriand

Jul 1, 2003
I have half a mind to stick Ellie with EJ and see if he figures things out playing 20+ min/night. Can't get much worse can it?

Agreed. An organization that had a clue would play Elliot and Barrie as many minutes as possible to see if they were keepers at this level moving forward. Clearly we have an abundance of number 6 / bench d-men and most have to go. This WOULD give them a determination of how many 1 - 5 type of d-men they would need to either trade and/or sign as free agents.

Makes too much sense and would cost money! Wont happen.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I have half a mind to stick Ellie with EJ and see if he figures things out playing 20+ min/night. Can't get much worse can it?

Well, he would have to play with Hunwick to play that many minutes. EJ eats his steady 19:30 every night and we all like it that way.

*ducks to avoid thrown paraphernalia.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not sure if playing Elliott with EJ is a good thing. Both are used to the right side. EJ has played poorly the last few games and needs to find a rhythm again, so he should stay on the right. Elliott badly needs to gain confidence at the NHL level, he should play the side he is more comfortable playing which looks to be the right. I'd go with:

SOB (not the best choice, but best we have)-EJ 22 minutes
Hejda - Elliott 20-22 minutes
Hunwick - ROB 16-18 minutes

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Bring up the guy that needs more work and has played worse at the NHL level. Tank on!

It's not exactly bad he's called up. Hopefully it means he will get the minutes with Hejda that Barrie got.

Obviously Barrie has been better and I'd go as far as to say is already the second best defender on this team... but thankfully it's not like we just recalled Cohen, Williams, Peltier, Macias, Vernace, Montgomery or any of the other trash we've fed our prospect teams over the years.

Last edited:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Maybe Hejda can have the same effect on Elliott that he did with Barrie. Hejda seemed to allow Barrie to do his thing while being even more defensively positioned than normal.
Maybe Elliott can get some of that confidence back!

That said, Sacco will play Elliott with Hunwick and then bench him for making Hunwick look bad.
:shakehead

CantTouchThis

Feb 16, 2012
Town in Country
I can't think of many reasons as to why they would chose Elliot. He's shown this year that he still needs strides before being ready. That said, maybe they have in mind to trade him? I don't think Sherman can sit on his hands from now till Apr 3rd. Even though we aren't far from a playoff team, we sure as hell are better than a top-3 lottery pick.

I would really hope that they don't trade Elliot. His value isn't as high as it should be... unless they are giving up on him, which is way too soon.

Edit: fine, Barrie may just be injured. -_-

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Hopefully it's just cause Barrie is hurt...but it's probably really because Sacco is still punishing Barrie for "not playing well" while he's rewarding Elliott even though he never had a good game while up with the Avs

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Well of course Elliott is getting called up, he scored the other night. :sarcasm:

I'm not sure if playing Elliott with EJ is a good thing. Both are used to the right side. EJ has played poorly the last few games and needs to find a rhythm again, so he should stay on the right. Elliott badly needs to gain confidence at the NHL level, he should play the side he is more comfortable playing which looks to be the right. I'd go with:

SOB (not the best choice, but best we have)-EJ 22 minutes
Hejda - Elliott 20-22 minutes
Hunwick - ROB 16-18 minutes

That 'minutes matrix' is the exact OPPOSITE of what Sacco had last game. :laugh:

Tell me this guy is TRYING to win. :laugh:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
At this point what difference does it really makes who plays who does not?

Tank is on full mode, Seth Jones is Denver bound!!!!

Edit: Maybe they are indeed showcasing Elliott because they want to do a Stastny, Elliott package deal with someone

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Joe+Sacco+TB5GB-rkT48m.jpg

wait...what? we called up the wrong guy?

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
They really have no idea what they're doing do they?

There doesn't seem to be a method to the madness, no.

However, I don't mind at all that they called up Elliott. Barrie certainly played better, but either one getting NHL playing time is fine with me.

Of course this is Sacco we're talking about. Maybe he called up Elliott to sit Erik Johnson or some such craziness. :)

Or perhaps they're convinced that Wilson won't be ready to play for awhile and they need another body.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Elliott was decent defensively. Hopefully he'll be a bit more assertive offensively if he gets a chance to play.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If Barrie does indeed have a minor hip injury, then this becomes a little more reasonable...

Although even still, Elliotts confidence has obviously been hurt. He should be staying in the AHL and working on his game to regain the confidence.

Only thing that makes sense is were showcasing him to other teams for a deadline deal.

I understand that often works with players, but it hasn't with Elliott this year. Maybe the best thing to help his confidence is to have him knowing he made it to the show and take baby steps from there. If he plays a calm game and put's up some average stats he will regain his confidence in a way he never could playing in the AHL. Let's just hope Sacco allows him to even try.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
not even sure if he was a better option than zanon at this point, i hope there is some growth to his game over the off-season, seems he hasn't progressed much at all over the last 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad