Home vs. New York: 2 points
Home vs. New York: 0 points
Road vs. New York: 0 points
Home vs. New York: 2 points (+3)

Home vs. New York: 4 points

So in the first 2 series he had 4 and 5 points on the road vs at home. So really all your saying was he played bad on the road in against the Rangers. And really it looks more like he just went cold after the 1st rangers game.

Yet somehow this leads you to believe he was super sheltered by Therrien at home and got soft minutes but then on the road he got exposed because he had harder minutes.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Then give him 3. It's less than what Bourque, DD or Briere make. It's a little more than Prust. Don't nickel and dime the guy. He's worth three anyway.

Let's be honest here, if it was announced that Eller had signed for three mil per, nobody would've have batted an eye. I think most would've said "good job Bergie" and called it a day. The odd person might've said that MB overpaid but it wouldn't have been by much.

Now it looks like we're going to wind up in an arbitration situation here instead with our club coming in at 1.6. To me this doesn't make any sense.

The problem with that approach is that MB has Subban to sign to the largest contract in team history and Tinordi, Beaulieu, Bournival, Gallagher and Galchenyuk have to be signed next year. Are you hoping that management give them whatever they want as well? The team's going to be in cap trouble in no time with that sort of thinking.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Give Eller the DD spot and see how many point he can get....... would say 50-55 right next year.

Eller does not dish the puck well, you really think he can feed Max like DD does. IMO Eller with Max is a terrible fit.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
So in the first 2 series he had 4 and 5 points on the road vs at home. So really all your saying was he played bad on the road in against the Rangers. And really it looks more like he just went cold after the 1st rangers game.

Yet somehow this leads you to believe he was super sheltered by Therrien at home and got soft minutes but then on the road he got exposed because he had harder minutes.

After one point against the Bruins in the first road game, he had a terrible game two, finished with a -3 and never had a point on the road in the playoffs again.

"super" and "soft" are your words not mine. I think Therrien just didn't put him up against the best defensive lines at home. He put the Plek and DD lines against those. That allowed Eller and Bourque to have a lot more freedom. It isn't about placating as is accused of DD. It's about good coaching.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I don't think Eller will be a long term hab. I can respect that he likely wants a bigger role(who doesn't) but Plekanec is still better than him and even if DD is traded, galchenyuk is next for top 6. Eller will be a top 9 player for us for the foreseeable future if he chooses to stay.

I hope he wants to stay. He'd be great behind Galchenyuk and Plekanec in the future.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I don't think Eller will be a long term hab. I can respect that he likely wants a bigger role(who doesn't) but Plekanec is still better than him and even if DD is traded, galchenyuk is next for top 6. Eller will be a top 9 player for us for the foreseeable future if he chooses to stay.

Pretty much how I feel. But I can see him signing on to be a long term 3rd C if he gets paid well and perhaps with some PP time.

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
You said he excelled and his game translates well in the playoffs. But DD vs. road competition and Eller vs. road competition, Eller is doing no better with exception to against Tampa.

I like Eller but he hasn't proven anything. If he plays 82 games this season I don't know if he'll be a 60 point center or a 30 point center. And he has more evidence as a 30 point center. He's hard to figure out. The difference between you and I is you are convinced he'll be the 60 point center.

If he's on the third line without PP time it will be impossible to put up 60 points over a full season. Nobody can do that.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
After one point against the Bruins in the first road game, he had a terrible game two, finished with a -3 and never had a point on the road in the playoffs again.

"super" and "soft" are your words not mine. I think Therrien just didn't put him up against the best defensive lines at home. He put the Plek and DD lines against those. That allowed Eller and Bourque to have a lot more freedom. It isn't about placating as is accused of DD. It's about good coaching.

Beside a chance by Eriksson at the 3 minute mark none of the goals or chances were his fault, he was on for an empty netter. Also, as for your main point, it's not like Eller was given minutes to produce offensively. How much PP time did Eller see in the playoffs exactly? The answer is 28 seconds a game. As for his TOI as a whole? 16:27 a game. That's nothing crazy considering the minutes he plays on the PK.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
If he's on the third line without PP time it will be impossible to put up 60 points over a full season. Nobody can do that.

If Eller can't put up points on ES he doesn't deserve PP time. From January to April of this year he couldn't put up ES points. Why the heck should we sacrifice our PP just to make you feel better?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

60 pts is an acceptable total for a first liner especially on a team with no C paid above 5m. Nobody should seriously expect 60 pts from the 3rd line with corresponding PP time.

Eller gets lots of undeserved love and some underserved flak here, but nothing of it should stem from him reaching or not 60 pts.

Whoever said 3M per : as per market, its too much for a 1 year deal. 3m makes sense starting at 3 seasons.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I just thought of the fact that the best team a guy like Eller can join for next few years is a team like Edmonton(Junior Team:sarcasm:). He plays with talented wingers, gets a 2nd line role as well since Gagner is gone. Leaves as a UFA with inflated point totals(to be fair, playing with those talented wingers would inflated anyones totals so nothing exclusive here) and gets a contract as a 2nd liner elsewhere.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
If Eller can't put up points on ES he doesn't deserve PP time. From January to April of this year he couldn't put up ES points. Why the heck should we sacrifice our PP just to make you feel better?

He put up more ES points than DD in the lockout season and has put up as many as Plekanec over the last few seasons.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY

We sacrificed our PP, in the POs no less, simply to continue employing MTs prodigal son, who according to your own stats, was completely neutralized when put up against defensive lines at home.

I also can easily argue that DDs wildly impressive 2 more ES points on the road were the result of opposing teams focusing their defensive lines against Eller, whom they saw as the more dangerous threat.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

Some times there's more evaluate than points... Our PP was so inept and that mainly due to the strategy that Gallant wanted us to do. Dump and chase with Desharnais, Gallagher, Plekanec, Briere and Gionta is super dumb. Giving Eller a shot would have made perfect sense in a strategy like that. Also, for a good portion of the season, the second we lost the faceoffs it took us a good 40-50 seconds (hell even at certain times we were never able to contain possession in the offensive zone and ruined a PP opportunity), adding our best FO guy would have made perfect sense but nope. Eller might win a board battle, screen the front of the net or forecheck hard and hit a defenseman which will turn into a giveaway but these don't turn into points. I would also remind you that as much as Eller benefited from puck luck in the month of october (ie the 'goal' vs Vancouver) he also suffered from it for the rest of the season. For instance that ridiculous save by Crawford comes to mind but there were countless times throughout the season where he set up Bourque or Prust and they fanned or ****ed up completely which didn't translate to points. Those are chances that a guy like Gallagher or Pacioretty would normally bury. Put one of these two for a full year with Eller (hell Therrien never tried Vanek with him) and he'll finish with a lot more than 26 pts.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I just thought of the fact that the best team a guy like Eller can join for next few years is a team like Edmonton(Junior Team:sarcasm:). He plays with talented wingers, gets a 2nd line role as well since Gagner is gone. Leaves as a UFA with inflated point totals(to be fair, playing with those talented wingers would inflated anyones totals so nothing exclusive here) and gets a contract as a 2nd liner elsewhere.

Or just another take on the Jordan Staal story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad