Eller offer sheet

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'd consider it if the Panthers or the Sabres would make a 7m offer.

In other words, no.

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
Could happen, I can mention trades that might happen within 3-4 years as well but that would receive more criticism than the "bonus 2 cents lineup prediction" that I posted about a main topic of Eller's potential offersheet.

Ya'll are getting off-topic.

Still, the line-up you made is not a good one... what else do you want us to say? If you don't even consider one single UFA signing, neither on defense nor on offense, this isn't serious.

If this were our team in 3-4 years, we'd be relegated (does it exist in english?) to the AHL lolll

Apr 28, 2010
Pacioretty - Bournival - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Galchenyuk - Collberg
Prust - Vail - Andrighetto
De la Rose - White - McCarron

Subban - Beaulieu
Gorges - Emelin
Tinordi - Nygren
Dietz - Pateryn

Price
Fucale

I think instead of making a lineup like that, what you should've done was something like this

XXX - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Pacioretty - Bournival - XXX
Prust - XXX - XXX
De la Rose - XXX - McCarron

Tinordi - Subban
Beaulieu - XXX
Gorges - Emelin

Price
Fucale

XXX = players we got through trades or from FA.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We have 2 important RFAs this off-season and they are Subban and Eller... and with RFAs there comes the possibility of signing an offersheet.

Assuming a worst case scenario where Eller signs an offer sheet -- what kind of compensation are the Habs likely to receive?

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
The third line of the future is definitely Urquhart-Chipchura-Stewart

Runner77 said:
Assuming a worst case scenario where Eller signs an offer sheet -- what kind of compensation are the Habs likely to receive?

EDIT : In 2012, the compensation was -

less than 1M$ - no compensation
1 to 1.6M$ - 3rd rounder
1.6 to 3.4m$ - 2nd rounder
3.4 to 5m$ - 1st and 3rd round picks
5 to 6.7m$ - 1st, 2nd and 3rd picks.
6.7 to 8.4m$ - two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd (!)
8.4$+ - four 1st rounders (!!!!)

In bold are what we could expect of a successful offer sheet (that is, one the Habs wouldn't sign). I think the Habs would match anything under 5m$. I doubt any team would offer over 6.7m$ for Eller, if it happens we should take the picks and run. Especially if they are coming from a basement team.

Last edited:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
We have 2 important RFAs this off-season and they are Subban and Eller... and with RFAs there comes the possibility of signing an offersheet.

I doubt Subban will sign an offersheet, just won't happen with the respect he has for/from the team and how he intend to stay in Montreal for the longer term. He would not think the risk is worth it. (plus it would be some ridiculous offersheet almost identical to Shea Weber's contract stint... I bet Nashville has regrets about the opportunity cost of four 1st rounders from Philly)

However, Eller on the other hand is more likely than Subban (not saying very likely in general) and his value is likely to climb moderately this season. His production during the beginning of the year has been ecstatic but the numbers have decelerated at this point... I predict that he will finish the season with around 25 goals 50 points IF the EGG line continues to be in the top 2, and will ask around $5 to $5.5mil a year for 4-6 years.

With his contract extension rumor not surfaced, there is really no assurance of Montreal's interest in him for the long term especially with the depth of centers we have in Galchenyuk, Bournival, Plekanec, and Briere (excluding DD in this situation since he will need to prove himself again in AHL or could be waived off to another team). Therrien prefers Galchenyuk to take the top 2 center role over Eller as we've seen when he put Chucky in the center position with Patches and Gally as his wingers... it is obvious that Chucky is developing at a much faster rate than Eller was. Even in 3 years we would have problem deciding who will center the top 2 lines since Chucky, Pleks and Bournival are all likely to be eligible for those roles.

Also, we really don't want another DD contract happening... I believe Eller can be successful but banking on 1 good season (if this season turns out well for him) and a decent prior season is risky for a big contract.

I look for the future when we eventually become a cup contending team and I just don't see it with Eller, to be honest I don't even see it with Pleks. In about 3-4 years when a lot of contracts run out, I believe the line ups will look like this:

Subban - Beaulieu
Gorges - Emelin
Tinordi - Nygren
Dietz - Pateryn

Price
Fucale

(UFA walkers: Markov, Bouillon, Briere, Plekanec, Moen, Bourque, Parros, Drewiske, Murray, Budaj)

If Eller's contract is between $4m-$5m, we would get two 1st rounders, a 2nd rounder, and a 3rd rounder.

If his contract is over $5m we would get four 1st rounders.

Let me know what you guys think.

I don't see a team offering Eller that much unless he rips it up this year...plus, offer sheets are pretty rare.

attachetatuque

un gros bonhomme!
Feb 1, 2013
this thread is hilarious. Eller is here to stay. he'll sign another "bridge-like" contract, something like 2 or 3 years for 3 million and then re-sign for 5 years, 5 million like Plekanec. End of Story

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Si if I understand well, Habs aren't contenders with Eller centering the third line, but they are if Vail is. Do I get this right?

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I believe habs management will let Plekanec go before they part with Eller.

Near future centers

Eller
Galchenyuk
Bournival

Then once Galchenyuk gets more experiences and passes Eller on depth chart:

Galchenyuk
Eller
DLR/Bournival

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
this thread is hilarious. Eller is here to stay. he'll sign another "bridge-like" contract, something like 2 or 3 years for 3 million and then re-sign for 5 years, 5 million like Plekanec. End of Story

Eller is actually on a bridge deal. I think only 2 years left until UFA status.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Eller gets a Plekanec contract this summer like Plekanec got in 2010.

6 years, 4.5 million per approximately. A bit less inflation-adjusted, but Eller is not as good now as TP was in 2010, and he has two RFA tears to go.

Eller is what a second line center looks like on a genuine cup contender.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
If Eller's contract is between $4m-$5m, we would get two 1st rounders, a 2nd rounder, and a 3rd rounder.

I think all your numbers are off, e.g. for four 1st rounders, the cutoff is $8,410,976.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
I'm not worried about Eller and Subban. I'm more concerned about when Galchenyuk, Gallgher, Tinordi & Bournival will all be RFAs at the same time. Unless you still can't offer sheet players coming from ELCs

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'm not worried about Eller and Subban. I'm more concerned about when Galchenyuk, Gallgher, Tinordi & Bournival will all be RFAs at the same time. Unless you still can't offer sheet players coming from ELCs

Tinordi won't be very expensive, as he'll only have 1 full year of NHL experience then (at best). I don't think Bourni will get a huge contract either.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
So ignoring the OP's lineup and getting back to the "what is your tipping point Eller offer sheet number" discussion...

I'd let him finish the season, if he picks it up again and earns a $4.5m contract with a 65 point season I'll be happy. If he signs an extension for that amount now and then slumps to 45 points I'll be a little bit worried.

If it's over $5 I think you have to think about letting him walk, that's a stockpile.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
So? what's your point? you can predict that 4 of them makes the roster then I predict that all of them do, you could be more right but I could end up being right in the end, you don't have a crystal ball and neither do I so I did it for entertainment of optimism on what it could be like, given the resources we have right now and ignoring the trades that would come along the way. Its not a 100% prediction I don't have psychic abilities but I'm sorry that you think I do.

Look up empirical evidence on Wiki.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
I'll gladly let Eller walk if we get a top 5 pick next year's draft. The Connor McDavid year.

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB

I doubt Subban will sign an offersheet, just won't happen with the respect he has for/from the team and how he intend to stay in Montreal for the longer term. He would not think the risk is worth it. (plus it would be some ridiculous offersheet almost identical to Shea Weber's contract stint... I bet Nashville has regrets about the opportunity cost of four 1st rounders from Philly)

However, Eller on the other hand is more likely than Subban (not saying very likely in general) and his value is likely to climb moderately this season. His production during the beginning of the year has been ecstatic but the numbers have decelerated at this point... I predict that he will finish the season with around 25 goals 50 points IF the EGG line continues to be in the top 2, and will ask around $5 to $5.5mil a year for 4-6 years.

With his contract extension rumor not surfaced, there is really no assurance of Montreal's interest in him for the long term especially with the depth of centers we have in Galchenyuk, Bournival, Plekanec, and Briere (excluding DD in this situation since he will need to prove himself again in AHL or could be waived off to another team). Therrien prefers Galchenyuk to take the top 2 center role over Eller as we've seen when he put Chucky in the center position with Patches and Gally as his wingers... it is obvious that Chucky is developing at a much faster rate than Eller was. Even in 3 years we would have problem deciding who will center the top 2 lines since Chucky, Pleks and Bournival are all likely to be eligible for those roles.

Also, we really don't want another DD contract happening... I believe Eller can be successful but banking on 1 good season (if this season turns out well for him) and a decent prior season is risky for a big contract.

I look for the future when we eventually become a cup contending team and I just don't see it with Eller, to be honest I don't even see it with Pleks. In about 3-4 years when a lot of contracts run out, I believe the line ups will look like this:

Subban - Beaulieu
Gorges - Emelin
Tinordi - Nygren
Dietz - Pateryn

Price
Fucale

(UFA walkers: Markov, Bouillon, Briere, Plekanec, Moen, Bourque, Parros, Drewiske, Murray, Budaj)

Here's what I think.

Offer sheets are rare. When was the last time a Hab signed an offer sheet? When was the last time up the Habs signed a player via offer sheet?? Very unlikely to happen, to either PK or Eller.

Lars Eller is an important piece of this team moving forward.

The lines you propose to win the Habs a cup are unrealistic. Not only will that lineup never happen, but if it did it certainly wouldn't be Cup - bound.

There's no reality to this post. But if the main question is about Eller and an offer sheet, I'm very confident it won't happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad