News Article: Eller: “The gap between the forwards and defencemen is too big a lot of the time...â€

CanadiensforLife

Sep 11, 2010
Montreal
Therrien doesn't look like the guy that is really good with X's and O's, but at the same thing Eller hockey IQ isn't that highly, which is weird since his dad is a hockey coach. Under Martin Eller in a game vs the Leafs, they made a goalie mid game, it turned out that Eller didn't even notice until he was told after the game by the media..

Correct your English, it's pretty bad. Not just misspelled words, but missing punctuation marks too. Makes it hard to follow.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Correct your English, it's pretty bad. Not just misspelled words, but missing punctuation marks too. Makes it hard to follow.

Speaking of punctuation marks, that sentence can't even stand on its own. My first language is not English, but I'm pretty sure this is not supposed to happen.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
To be honest, outside of Plek, Eller and Sekac no forward is ever within 10 feet of a dman. The wingers play way to high in our own end. They should be at the hash marks, and the centerman should be doing his damn job of being a 3rd dman in our own end.

I think Eller is taking a shot at his team mates and a small **** at MT for never punishig them, either way if the other 9 forwards don't stop this team will crumble in the playoffs unless Eller and Sekac play a lot.

I've been saying this for over 3 years now. Defense wins championships, offense wins TV time. Doesn't matter if you have 50 goal scorer on your team, if he, his line and his teammates think offense 1st, you won't win.

Kachino

@kachino82
Feb 16, 2008
Montreal
Yeah the gap between the forwards and defensemen is in a huge majority too big.

You can see the defensemen trying again and again for that fricken stretch pass.
Except for Subban, when was the last time you've seen a defenseman carry the puck in the offensive zone? You know, that defenseman who can create odd-man rushes or act as the trailer on a play?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yeah the gap between the forwards and defensemen is in a huge majority too big.

You can see the defensemen trying again and again for that fricken stretch pass.
Except for Subban, when was the last time you've seen a defenseman carry the puck in the offensive zone? You know, that defenseman who can create odd-man rushes or act as the trailer on a play?

He's in Hamilton...

Kachino

@kachino82
Feb 16, 2008
Montreal
He's in Hamilton...

Even Beaulieu in his limited ice time with the club didn't really carry the puck or support the forwards. He just tried to play a safe game (get rid of the puck, make that stretch pass). I still have high hopes for Beaulieu and wished he was playing full time right now. It's crazy because that's not his natural way of playing. Same thing can be said with Subban. I guess it has to do with team directives.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Even Beaulieu in his limited ice time with the club didn't really carry the puck or support the forwards. He just tried to play a safe game (get rid of the puck, make that stretch pass). I still have high hopes for Beaulieu and wished he was playing full time right now. It's crazy because that's not his natural way of playing. Same thing can be said with Subban. I guess it has to do with team directives.

He would join the rush at least...
But nobody on our team is the rush like Letang for example.
JJ had no clue how to get D to jump gaps without the puck.

Nynja*

You mean he was playing like someone who would get banished to Hamilton if they pissed off the coach?

Nynja*

Yeah, but we had better advanced stats. The score doesn't matter. So applaud Therien.

ITS FN BUFFALO!! The worst team in the league...was the worst team in the league till tonight, now thats distinction goes to Lumbus. We SHOULD be winning the advanced stats, we should also have more than 1 goal per game against the team that was expected to be the front runner for the McDavid sweepstakes, we should not be losing games because of freak bounces against this team.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I am pretty sure Eller was pointing himself and his teamates about the gap problem.

The guys are not following the game plans and structure. I am sure MT is not the one asking them to be so far apart between each other on the ice.

But of course, Eller is God for many posters on this board and MT is the village idiot. What's new here ?
I totally agree with you on this important point :laugh:

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
You mean he was playing like someone who would get banished to Hamilton if they pissed off the coach?

Thats the issue because he use to carry the puck last year. Likely why he was told he would sit in favour of Boo and murray during the playoff:shakehead

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Yeah, but we had better advanced stats. The score doesn't matter. So applaud Therien.

How do people still not understand advanced stats. They're predictive and macro. Just because you out possess an opponent in any one game, doesn't mean you're going to win. But if you constantly get out attempted, out shot and out chanced then your going to lose more than you would with good possession metrics.

Buffalo is a ***** team and it took Montreal 50 minutes to start out attempting them in score close situations. Again, Buffalo is a historically bad possession team. Mind bogglingly bad. That it took so long for Montreal to separate themselves from the Sabres is not a good thing, especially for a team that sees itself as a playoff team and closing in on contender status.

Advanced stats are best used to supplement the eye test to remove bias. Both the eye test and advanced stats say this team is playing bad hockey, and that it's mostly on coaching decisions or coaching responsibilities. Teams with talent can outperform their stats, but not forever. This team needs a coaching staff that can get them playing as more than a sum of their parts. I'm not sure Therrien is that guy.

Eller has been a good possession player in tough situations. And he's right.

Last edited:

domdo345

Jun 4, 2008
Most teams have the winger down the hash marks for the breakout. When he is effectively eliminated from the play (getting hit or just not in movement to follow his feed), the opposite DMAN jumps in to attack with 3 players. This kind of play allow the trailer play to the DMAN jumping in the offensive zone and creates confusion for the other team's backchecking coverage. But unfortunately, since Martin, we never see this anymore.

With Subban, Markov, Gilbert, Beaulieu (eventually) it would be to our advantage. The Blues and the Bruins are two of the best teams to create offense with their D's and this is exactly what is happens most of the time with their breakouts.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Another thing as well is Eller's remark "Well, winning is fun."

If the Habs go on a losing streak and they have to commit to this atrocious structure.. how long does it take for Therrien to lose the room, again..

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Another thing as well is Eller's remark "Well, winning is fun."

If the Habs go on a losing streak and they have to commit to this atrocious structure.. how long does it take for Therrien to lose the room, again..

I question whether he has it since the western road swing?
The players turn it off and on when they want.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I keep going back to that article calling for MT's firing when he was the coach of the Pens. I think that will eventually be his downfall yet again.

The head coach has proven himself to be a one trick pony, as he also did in Montreal. Just like in Montreal, he had star players who under performed because the system being used did not fit their strengths. The players over come those problems with sheer will and skill, but eventually that which can bend will break. That break came in his third season in Montreal.

For anyone who hasn't read this article from 2009.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ush-the-panic-button-and-fire-michel-therrien

Edit:
Here's another article from 2008. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/40918-michel-therrien-is-not-the-answer-for-the-penguins

The quoted part below sounds very familiar against the Sens and about upper management having to step in..

Therrien was then exposed further.

While his roster was thinner, and a tired Recchi and Malkin hurt the team, he showed what little technical abilities he had. The fast, talented, and tough Ottawa Senators quickly dismantled his system. Therrien had no counter punch. The Penguins were quickly eliminated.

The Penguins added some talent coming into the new season, but the same problems remained. Petr Sykora, brought in to play with Sid or Malkin, was put on the third line. You never knew who was going to be playing with whom. Despite more scoring depth, Recchi remained on Sid's wing even with his very poor play.

The only smart moves that were made (Staal being third line center and Recchi being waived) were made when upper management stepped in. And then, the improved Penguins (expected to be a Cup contender) struggled out of the gate.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad