News Article: Eller: “The gap between the forwards and defencemen is too big a lot of the time...â€

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I'm waiting for the slide and if we lose again to Buffalo tonight, I think this could be the one.

Also read the other article from 2008 I just posted. Same old MT.

Ain't this the truth. :nod:

Over two and three quarter seasons, Therrien has shown a penchant for not knowing the right time to stop playing players to the detriment of the team.

I do feel confident that Therrien's actions of holding on to players for too long, not playing certain types of players (like Ruutu) enough, playing games with players as "punishment" (the scratching of Orpik back home in Boston, he and Whitney playing wing), never taking blame for mistakes, not having a more flexible system, and his inability to let lines gel are a detriment to the present and future of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

This will keep the Pens from reaching the summit. This will keep the Penguins from becoming a "dynasty." He will keep the Penguins from being what they could be.

Can the Penguins win with Therrien? Maybe. With a top flight coach, their chances of winning are improved.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
You know, in 2010-2011, the Dallas Stars led the West after beating us on Dec 21, 2010. They went on to miss the playoffs. Long season folks, and if Eller and Pleks both get injured, the bad Habs will definitely come out.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
I counted at least three stretch pass attempts from either Subban or Markov, to various forwards but usually Desharnais or Pacioretty, in one shift last night. And none of them ought to have been necessary. Our "golden duo" had flown the zone ridiculously early and were hanging out up at the opposing blueline, leaving no other passing options.

Worked on this in practice, my ass.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I counted at least three stretch pass attempts from either Subban or Markov, to various forwards but usually Desharnais or Pacioretty, in one shift last night. And none of them ought to have been necessary. Our "golden duo" had flown the zone ridiculously early and were hanging out up at the opposing blueline, leaving no other passing options.

Worked on this in practice, my ass.

The blond Dane isn't as dumb as some people think.
He brought up a point that can't hurt him.
He isn't close to being engaged and PK is with him.
The room is in jeopardy just like some envisioned a month ago.
Tyranny won't cut it in today's Major Leagues.
The "my way" or the highway approach only works if the players buy into the "my way" bit.

DaHabMan

Sep 23, 2008
Lasalle
someone should ask gallagher and desharnais why they like to dump and chase so much too, id realllly like to hear theyre answer on that!

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
someone should ask gallagher and desharnais why they like to dump and chase so much too, id realllly like to hear theyre answer on that!

What else are these guys going to do? They can't really stickhandle through opponents, they're not going to outskate them either, so they dump it. Not to mention our system used pretty much encourages this. Ideally those guys don't carry the puck in.

DaHabMan

Sep 23, 2008
Lasalle
What else are these guys going to do? They can't really stickhandle through opponents, they're not going to outskate them either, so they dump it. Not to mention our system used pretty much encourages this. Ideally those guys don't carry the puck in.

Err...thats what im getting at. Our system makes us dump it in. They shouldnt be the ones bringing it in...but you can get in through slick short passing which im sure wed be capable of, the skills is there. Why its not done? Systems and coaching...like the eller quote, just commenting on the ineptitude of the staff when it comes to strategies and tactics

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...o-improve-according-to-eller/article21822642/

I wonder if our coach is taking notes.

Sean Gordon makes is careful to note that Eller's not taking a dig at his coach but he goes on to write:

"This shouldn’t be misconstrued as a dig at Therrien, although it indirectly raises an interesting question: How would this team and its best player, P.K. Subban, do under a coach who prized swashbuckling attacking play?"

Good question indeed. Pretty similar questions to the ones raised a few days ago in the SI article.
Eller traded E5

He's right though. It's good that someone around the team is finally pointing out the glaring flaws in our systems.
He is repeating what the coaches told the team E8 (he ate all their words).:laugh:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Hockey isn't that complicated and the players don't have a preference.
Either style works well when executed properly.
Both entries require speed in the neutral zone with numbers.
Speed in the neutral zone (with numbers) starts in the D zone as Lars mentions.
The more players you have hitting the opposition blue line with speed the far likelier you will be able to execute one or the other.

We aren't playing a close support exit game so many of our forays are single player drone attacks.
Dump or tip ins hoping somebody falls down? :help:
So not only low percentage passes but low percentage retrievals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad