TSN: Elite Speculation from Bob Mackenzie re: The Leafs

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
One problem is that Brown won't be as effective in a 4th line role than someone like Hyman (I'll leave Sosh out because he plays opposite wing anyways). Brown's greatest effectiveness comes out of a good top 6 or at the very least 3rd line role. I think he's ready for it, but Marner is too and they are kind of fighting for only one spot. Even moving a veteran, unless it's Komarov which has like a 1% chance of happening, won't really solve the problem unless you want Komarov back on the LW playing down in the lineup instead of with Kadri (which is where we should put him).

I see room in the top-9 for Brown. I don't think Marner is in a showdown over one spot against Brown either.

Hyman is probably a better fit on the 4th line. But, I think they both crack the team.

Soshnikov has some pretty legit upside and he hasn't even touched on it at the AHL level yet. For a franchise that would like to over ripen prospects, he's being rushed if he starts this season in the NHL. He's a prime candidate to go down to the AHL, light it up and be back up after the Michalek's/Bozak's move on at the deadline. Hopefully, by that time he's up for good.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think Babcock is eill to give his 4th line 12ish min a night ismf there's enough skill on it.

That's enough ice time for a younger player to be effective.b

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
If Michalek stays healthy, he will absolutely draw interest from clubs around the league that are looking to fill out their top 9. He's an established big bodied forward that can put the puck in the net, and he's in the final year of his contract.

Its vogue to bash Michalek. He is not popular here.

The large ;) sample size of games he's played here on which they base their opinion is of course better than his body of work over the years.

We could cheer for him to succeed and maybe we'll get rewarded with a return at the TDL.

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
Training Camp Preview: Maple Leafs looking to turn the corner

With number one pick Auston Matthews in the fold, Toronto appears primed to turn the corner and start heading in the right direction. TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie takes an in-depth look at the Maple Leafs' training camp battles.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/training-camp-preview-maple-leafs-looking-to-turn-the-corner~954381

This probably needs it's own thread. Pretty spot on look at opening night. There has to be a trade or two coming.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
This probably needs it's own thread. Pretty spot on look at opening night. There has to be a trade or two coming.

You can start a new thread if you want to, I don't like to start a lot of threads that are similar but Go for it if you think it does.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
There's an exception to every rule. If Auston Matthews can play his way to the top line on a squad where Connor McDavid is the standard, and not look out of place with him, and do so in under 9 games, I don't understand the hesitation (for the appearances of waxing wise?) to pencil him our number one centre. And there's not a lot that Nazem Kadri and Tyler Bozak can really do about it is there?

For the sake of comfort, let's start Matthews at the second centre position for the first ten games...I think the asset whose value needs to be showcased (Michalek) should play alongside our best centre.

JvR - Kadri - Brown
Michalek - Matthews - Nylander
Komarov - Bozak - Shoshnikov
Hyman - Laich - Martin

Let Marner - as truly exceptional as he is, acclimate in the AHL for as many games as he demonstrates that dominating the AHL is no different than dominating the OHL. Just like Connor Brown did. It will become apparent, very quickly that this is the true order of our club:

Michalek - Matthews - Nylander
JvR - Kadri - Brown
Komarov - Bozak - Shoshnikov
Hyman - Laich - Martin

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
What we SHOULD have is a Media thread - then if it's a big story we can discuss it. so many times you miss articles or soemthing and it's in a different thread.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

You can start a new thread if you want to, I don't like to start a lot of threads that are similar but Go for it if you think it does.

Probably should go in the training camp thread??

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Probably should go in the training camp thread??

This is the problem, when there are a lot of similar threads and I've done it before, put an article in a thread that isn't as apt as another thread but still starting yet another thread makes it more confusing.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
What we SHOULD have is a Media thread - then if it's a big story we can discuss it. so many times you miss articles or soemthing and it's in a different thread.

This is very true. So often important stories get tucked away and lost in threads that either have a lot of traffic or none at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad