Elite defender, Miro Heiskanen

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
Trusted to defend the lead over Klingberg, you say?!?!

Care to qualify that?
I've had access to NHL games on demand for 10+ years now and I'd wager I've seen the debut games of about 75% of finnish players in that time period and can't recall a single player who impressed me the way Heiskanen did in their first shift.

Reactions: FinPanda

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I may be the only person that expected him to be this good out of the gate. In trade proposals for guys like EK and Nylander I was saying that when the season starts you instantly regret including him in such a trade. Don't think some people were getting it. I think he'll also end up at .5ppg by the end of the season as well.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
I may be the only person that expected him to be this good out of the gate. In trade proposals for guys like EK and Nylander I was saying that when the season starts you instantly regret including him in such a trade. Don't think some people were getting it. I think he'll also end up at .5ppg by the end of the season as well.
Yeah, I also was really confused as to why Heiskanen wasn’t mentioned in people’s top three calder contenders. When he starts to produce, watch out!

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Couple of finns and 3 stars fans equal to "a lot of hype" and "flood" on this forum. People are incapable of understanding that a same poster can post multiple times.

Doesn't change how stupid and annoying it is when people do this.

And yes, 5 or so people trolling a prospect thread is flooding it with dumb comments.

Crocoduck

Mar 3, 2013
Peterborough, Ont.
Nope, This is also what I was expecting after watching him last year. I also said from day one, even if he wasn't producing right out of the gate, his presence would be huge and extremely noticable. He' already my favourite player on our roster. I'm still blown away he's a Dallas Star.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
He's a 19 year old newb yet when he's out there and things start to look sketchy like there's a turnover or might be an odd-man rush or something coming , and even if he's out of position at the time I think "they're okay Heiskanen is out there."

Reactions: Waldemarsonson

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Elite? Not yet at least. However, Heiskanen will an absolute beast going forward. Good thing that the Stars got lucky in the draft lottery because they can't draft at all under the Nill era.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
He’s been great so far for us. Rarely gets beat or allows scoring attempts, skates like the wind, and has a sneaky good wrist shot. Still needs to work on his playmaking a little, it’s a good thing he has Klingberg to learn from.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's not elite yet, due to the sample size but he's on his way of becoming the 1st Finnish superstar on defense.

Over Klingberg? Is that supposed to be some great accomplishment?

Kling is a star player and rookie is already taking minutes away from him.

That's impressive as hell.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
One of the most promising starts from rookie defender I have ever seen.

I knew he was elite at Finland but darn, I never knew this good.

He is allready superb in defence etc. , but can he make points enough to become Norris contender one day?

Dallas have something extremely rare here.

I mean there was just McAvoy doing this exact same thing last season so that's still fresh in everyones mind.

I think he can get enough points easily, his production will come with experiance it's not like he lacks to skillset to do it.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Very impressive rookie. Hard to argue against Pettersson as the Calder favorite so far but if anyone is going to challenge to take that away my money would be on Miro. I think the race will have a clear top 2 at years end.

He could be better than Dahlin right now. But keep in mind he's a year ahead, so I wouldn't count on that lasting forever. But boy do the Stars ever have a good young defenseman here.

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I doubt anyone has/will but someone needs to make a shift by shift video of his game against the Caps last night. Incredible defending all night long against their top guys. 27:10 TOI and perfect defense as a 19 year old rookie against the defending Stanley Cup champs top players? Pretty impressive stuff.

I would make the video but I don't know how to download/where to download games from lol

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
ranked him #1 predraft

and above petey this offseason. Now it's debatable

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
He's so young, plays big minutes and fits right in, I'm jelly.

He'll only get better from here.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I know that this thread is about Heiskanen, but speaking of Finnish Defensemen, Way too many of you are sleeping on Jokiharju. He looks really poised for a 19 year old and was an absolute steal by the Hawks at #29 OA in 2017. Dallas could have had them both, as they traded with the Hawks in that draft and picked a goalie(I don't remember who)
I don't know enough about Team Finland's other defensemen in the pipeline, but Heiskanen and Jokiharju are two really good ones.

Reactions: FinPanda

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I know that this thread is about Heiskanen, but speaking of Finnish Defensemen, Way too many of you are sleeping on Jokiharju. He looks really poised for a 19 year old and was an absolute steal by the Hawks at #29 OA in 2017. Dallas could have had them both, as they traded with the Hawks in that draft and picked a goalie(I don't remember who)
I don't know enough about Team Finland's other defensemen in the pipeline, but Heiskanen and Jokiharju are two really good ones.

It was Oettinger and Dallas badly needs a goaltender to pan out. Something that hasn't happened since Mike Smith . Good for the Hawks
Jokiharju looks great i'm still fine with that pick.

As for Heiskanen. With the injuries Dallas has on defense he's heavily relied on and he's delivering so far. Monty even called Klingberg , Lindell and Heiskanen the big three yesterday. All three played 27 minutes yesterday because #4 was Polak #5 was Honka who have some weaknesses and #6 was Heatherington who only played 7 minutes and even in those looked completely lost.

Last edited:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Kling is a star player and rookie is already taking minutes away from him.

That's impressive as hell.

Kling Bling Bling is a star player offensively.

Phil Housley was also a star player, y'know. (Not saying Bling Bling is Housley bad defensively though)

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
It was Oettinger and Dallas badly needs a goaltender to pan out. Something that hasn't happened since Mike Smith . Good for the Hawks
Jokiharju looks great i'm still fine with that pick.

As for Heiskanen. With the injuries Dallas has on defense he's heavily relied on and he's delivering so far. Monty even called Klingberg , Lindell and Heiskanen the big three yesterday. All three played 27 minutes yesterday because #4 was Polak #5 was Honka who have some weaknesses and #6 was Heatherington who only played 7 minutes and even in those looked completely lost.
I haven't followed the Stars all that much lately but they kept me interested in hockey during the Bill Wirtz cheapfest years. I will forever hate JS Giguere for his stealing of the 1st round series in 2003 as well as that stupid 5 OT game where he was a brick wall. I still have a soft spot for Modano. the 1998-1999 and 99-00 seasons were really fun, even though they fell short of a repeat. I followed Belfour to Dallas. He was my favorite Blackhawk as a kid. I quit following the Stars secondarily after realignment because it is tough to follow another team in the same division as your #1 team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad