Player Discussion Elias Pettersson | Sooner rather than Later Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I'm priming my hot takes already that he's a top 5 center in the league. Just this season he's been top 3 due to down years from his competitors.

This year:
McDavid
Crosby
Pettersson
Matthews
Draisaitl

General:
McDavid
Crosby
Matthews
Barkov
Pettersson

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Big Pete still has zero PP goals. Wonder what his season would look like had he been a bit better on the PP.

He's top 5 In ES points and Top 3 in ES goals that with him missing some games too.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Don’t forget Andrew Walker saying he might as well be playing in the AHL last December.

He’s got something like 95 points in 80 games since they Tweet.

To be fair, that was a rare time when Walker wasn't wrong.

His performance in 2021 - both before and after the injury - was absolutely horrific. Looked like an absolute zombie, horrific body language, zero effort, zero effectiveness outside of some PP points. It was ghastly and I don't think I've every seen a player perform further below his abilities than the Pettersson of late 2021.

Then a switch flicked in the second half of last season and he went from an outright liability to playing the best hockey since the first 20 games of his career almost overnight.

The whole thing was f***ing strange and I wonder if we'll ever get the full story.

Reactions: tyhee and sting101

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017

His performance in 2021 - both before and after the injury - was absolutely horrific. Looked like an absolute zombie, horrific body language, zero effort, zero effectiveness outside of some PP points. It was ghastly and I don't think I've every seen a player perform further below his abilities than the Pettersson of late 2021.

Then a switch flicked in the second half of last season and he went from an outright liability to playing the best hockey since the first 20 games of his career almost overnight.

The whole thing was f***ing strange and I wonder if we'll ever get the full story.
There could be something behind it or it could just be the randomness of human psychology and physiology. Sometimes an injury heals slowly and then boom its gone, that can be physical or mental/emotional.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012

He really did look completely shot, for like a full calendar year, and the bulk of 2 seasons.

It's his skating, it's insanely miles better now. Skating is connected to everything, can't shoot or handle the puck if your skating and stamina are trash. Always gonna be outta breath and out of position.

These guys all have public instagram pages, the youngins are quite actively posting, usually every other day. For anyone following their stories over those couple off-season's, the reason for his falloff should be quite obvious. Dude pretty much lived at the beach, other than the occasional clothing line photoshoot. Literally every other player had some semi-regular documented training/practices mixed in.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

isn’t the most obvious answer that petey becoming petey again was just a delayed version of the same fired coach/front office bounce the rest of the team had?

Reactions: mathonwy

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
isn’t the lost obvious answer that petey becoming petey again was just a delayed version of the same fired coach/front office bounce the rest of the team had?
Not really..EP wasn’t himself until the last quarter of the season..He was anonymous most of the year,and Boudreau had him on the 3rd line.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Probably, but his issues/lack of compete/body language during 2021 were *far* worse than anyone else on the team.

agree

but tbh i think he also cares far more than anybody on the team other than hughes

and personality-sise, he doesn’t suffer fools (remember his early interviews where he’d just glare at the interviewer?)

it wasn’t productive or mature, but tbh if my take is correct i wouldn’t blame him. they wasted the best contract of his career, why wouldn’t he just disengage and wait until he could leave?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
agree

but tbh i think he also cares far more than anybody on the team other than hughes

and personality-sise, he doesn’t suffer fools (remember his early interviews where he’d just glare at the interviewer?)

it wasn’t productive or mature, but tbh if my take is correct i wouldn’t blame him. they wasted the best contract of his career, why wouldn’t he just disengage and wait until he could leave?
Wasted his contract?..did you have amnesia when he injured his wrist,and the lingering issues with it the following season?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Man it really sucks that Benning bridged him, would've been great to have him locked up at around 8M-8.5M long term. Obviously hindsight since he was coming off an injury and not playing at an elite level but that would've been such a steal of a contract right now.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Man it really sucks that Benning bridged him, would've been great to have him locked up at around 8M-8.5M long term. Obviously hindsight since he was coming off an injury and not playing at an elite level but that would've been such a steal of a contract right now.
A year ago a loud vocal majority would have been shitting themselves over a long term EP contract (given how he was playing)..There was more talk about unloading him.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I’m in the minority but I prefer bridging Petey and then signing him for market value during his prime years.

I’d rather pay Market value for his prime years than have to pay him ages 35,36,37 for past performance.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
A year ago a loud vocal majority would have been shitting themselves over a long term EP contract (given how he was playing)..There was more talk about unloading him.
What does your post have to do with Nucker’s? Nucker is talking about a poor business decision. You are talking about people on a message board. The two have nothing to do with one another.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
44 goals and 101 points over his last 82 games.

Big Pete is HIM
1673578530482.png

Reactions: canuckking1

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
If Russo is right then it’s time to blow this shit team up. I wonder how he heard this though? He’s mainly a Minny guy. Brackett/Bruce? Or is JEE a friend of EP’s?

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
If Russo is right then it’s time to blow this shit team up. I wonder how he heard this though? He’s mainly a Minny guy. Brackett/Bruce? Or is JEE a friend of EP’s?

Will be third time I've posted this but here's the exact quote:

"My gut says Elias is going to want to move on. That's just my gut. Gut and a little bit of knowledge."

"As Wild fans know, if I say something it's usually because I got a...like...I don't just throw stuff out there. It's never been my style. I just think that with Pettersson, there's some behind the scenes stuff there that would probably want to make him go elsewhere."

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Will be third time I've posted this but here's the exact quote:

"My gut says Elias is going to want to move on. That's just my gut. Gut and a little bit of knowledge."

"As Wild fans know, if I say something it's usually because I got a...like...I don't just throw stuff out there. It's never been my style. I just think that with Pettersson, there's some behind the scenes stuff there that would probably want to make him go elsewhere."
Worrisome coming from a guy like Russo who isn’t a clickbait fake rumour reporter at all. The fact that he’s even taking that somewhat educated guess should make us paranoid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad