Player Discussion Elias Pettersson - Second Half Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Seeing guys like Pettersson and Horvat really accel after the bozo management duo was turfed cant be understated on how these team leading players see their bosses. How much faith are these guys gonna have in a guy who thought the draft simulator was not only something to waste time on during the teams darkest years, but to admit it publicly that he spent hours on it? Obviously that happend before Pettersson was even drafted but imagine the other bozo things Benning did that we wont know about that the players know about

Knowing that clown show is now in the past and a potentially proper management has replaced it has to give a boost of confidence to the players. And that improvement has been shown, tho with this poorly assembled roster, clearly was not enough to overcome the early season faceplant

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
You can't base a scouting report on one curl and drag move in the slot while EP was in international play. What exactly was the scouting report on him? I definitely would've scrutinized this if I was Benning. Seems like an impulsive move to pull the trigger on a fancy shmancy dangler.

• Haha
Reactions: stampedingviking

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
You can't base a scouting report on one curl and drag move in the slot while EP was in international play. What exactly was the scouting report on him? I definitely would've scrutinized this if I was Benning. Seems like an impulsive move to pull the trigger on a fancy shmancy dangler.

Yeah! Who cares about the 3 seasons he played prior to signing his current deal, let's base his contract on a curl/drag move in international play. what?

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
The chest pumping going around with all the 'I knew he would bounce back' is cringe.

You're completely lying to yourself if you weren't worried about Pettersson's play. He looked like a broken shell of his former self. At one point I honestly wasn't sure if he would come back - and this goes with saying it's not typical of me to lose faith in young players.

The most radical of opinions (which are so very few) wanted Pettersson traded. Most of us were just worried he had completely lost it. That wasn't a knee jerk opinion, that wasn't dropping out on a young player too early - it was because he looked broken and lots of us were unsure of where he was going to go.

I'm elated he has found his game and looks like 'rookie Pettersson'.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
You and me both.

Even at his lowest I still wished we would have locked him up for 8 years. I knew he'd bounce back. Now he's going to cost a whole lot more long term.
It's not bad. There is a good argument that paying more (,that we would have) is the better option if the extension starts earlier. Would you rather pay $9m X 8 years to a 22yo star and $10m X 8 to a 30 yo star, or 3x$7 followed by $10x8.

Take Miller, he's going to get a huge contact somewhere that will likely end very badly as he ages.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
It's not bad. There is a good argument that pay more is the better option of it starts earlier. Would you rather pay $9m X 8 years to a 25yo star or $10m X 8 to a 30 yo star.

Take Miller, he's going to get a huge contact somewhere that will likely end very badly as he ages.
9 x 8 to the 25 year old all day.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
If he got that this place would have gone berserk. Nobody would have agreed with that contract at the time.
Considering he signed it before playing a game, I think most would have been happy with it.

Given the tone of the "Trade Pettersson" thread, I'm sure a lot would have soured on it quickly, but I was betting on Pettersson to bounce back throughout his struggles.

Reactions: geebaan

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Crow eating time:

I was very much on board with searching out a trade for him mid season. I was very fed up with his attitude and on ice demeanour. How play was terrible.

He’s really turned it around and owned my opinions of him. I have to own that.

Reactions: Indiana and M2Beezy

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Crow eating time:

I was very much on board with searching out a trade for him mid season. I was very fed up with his attitude and on ice demeanour. How play was terrible.

He’s really turned it around and owned my opinions of him. I have to own that.
IMHO the Canucks had no option but to ride out Petterson's struggles and hope he bounced back. If he bounced back you have a potential 1C and you can build a team around that. If you trade him you are back to the tanking rebuild and off to the draft looking to draft a 1C.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
IMHO the Canucks had no option but to ride out Petterson's struggles and hope he bounced back. If he bounced back you have a potential 1C and you can build a team around that. If you trade him you are back to the tanking rebuild and off to the draft looking to draft a 1C.

Agreed but I don’t think we’re out of the woods yet. Very interested to see which Pettersson shows up to start next season.

Reactions: Nucker101

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Hughes came back with a vengeance after last year's disaster. Let's hope Pettersson can come back with the same fire even if this late season run did somewhat salvage his awful season.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Seriously? what a horrible take and completely lacking context. 70 points is great considering how horrible the first half of his season went. He now has 31 goals when in mid-January he only had six. He went on a monster tear and was well over a point-per-game and on pace for over 100 points.

You always shitting on everything is getting really f**king annoying.

Either a thicker skin , or the ignore button will help you.

As for your response … it’s terrible. Makes no reference to what I said. You want to only look at a certain period of the year that fits your narrative. The topic is EP40 year, not half year. I didn’t say it was bad , but it wasn’t 7M , top line center good … and I stand by it.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Agreed. I didnt think he'd completely lost it either, although I thought that the folks who wanted to trade him were being way too hasty.
I think the majority here who were open to trading him were only suggesting it if the team got a young star back, like a Barzal caliber player. That was not really an unreasonable suggestion from a Canucks POV, especially at that time.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I think the majority here who were open to trading him were only suggesting it if the team got a young star back, like a Barzal caliber player. That was not really an unreasonable suggestion from a Canucks POV, especially at that time.
Unreasonable. No surprise you were in that camp given your gm games history

Reactions: Nucker101

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
The chest pumping going around with all the 'I knew he would bounce back' is cringe.

You're completely lying to yourself if you weren't worried about Pettersson's play. He looked like a broken shell of his former self. At one point I honestly wasn't sure if he would come back - and this goes with saying it's not typical of me to lose faith in young players.

The most radical of opinions (which are so very few) wanted Pettersson traded. Most of us were just worried he had completely lost it. That wasn't a knee jerk opinion, that wasn't dropping out on a young player too early - it was because he looked broken and lots of us were unsure of where he was going to go.

I'm elated he has found his game and looks like 'rookie Pettersson'.
What was I saying?

Ahh yes.

Petey was taking one for the team.

And Bo as well.

And they were. Shittiest Canucks hockey was played. Jerseys were tossed. Fire Benning was chanted. Morons were shitcanned.

I didn’t even watch the festivities due to how disgusted I was with the team.

Never gave up on Petey though because I knew exactly what he was doing and HAD been doing since last season’s injury and his refusal to play hockey despite reports of him being healthy.

Reactions: rypper

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
What was I saying?

Ahh yes.

Petey was taking one for the team.

And Bo as well.

And they were. Shittiest Canucks hockey was played. Jerseys were tossed. Fire Benning was chanted. Morons were shitcanned.

I didn’t even watch the festivities due to how disgusted I was with the team.

Never gave up on Petey though because I knew exactly what he was doing and HAD been doing since last season’s injury and his refusal to play hockey despite reports of him being healthy.

I don't know - sounds rather conspiracy theory'ish.

I don't believe a player would jeopardize his career and performance based on his opinion of management.

He had a bunged wrist and it healed slowly. Do yourself the favour of not over thinking it.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I don't know - sounds rather conspiracy theory'ish.

I don't believe a player would jeopardize his career and performance based on his opinion of management.

He had a bunged wrist and it healed slowly. Do yourself the favour of not over thinking it.
Just because you don't understand doesn't make it a conspiracy theory but thanks for your input.

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
Aw yeah buddy we need way more Elias "Basically McJesus but better" Pettersson up in this bitch, all that animal does is butters perfect passes, pops bottles pops p***yes so keep your finger on that lamp light limpdick cause the forecast is goals.

f*** your cookie jar and your water bottles, you better get quality rubbermaids bud cause she's gonna spend a lot of time hitting the f***ing ice if Elias has anything to say about it. Blistering Wristers or fat clappers, this f***in guy can't be stopped.

If I had a choice of one attack to use to kill Hitler I would choose a Pettersson snipe from the top of the circle because you f***ing know his evil dome would be bouncing off the end boards after that puck is loosed like lightning from the blade of God's own CCM. I'd just pick up the phone and call Elias Pettersson at 1-800-TOP-TITS where he can be found earning his living at the back of the goddamn net. The world record for a recorded sniper kill is 3,540m, but that's only because nobody has asked ya boi Pettersson to rip any wristers at ISIS yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad