Rumor: Elias Pettersson - No Deal Imminent (Aug 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Yup, it's annoying. So many times Pettersson is open for a one-timer and Hughes shoots a bad muffin for a faceoff instead, at best case. Hughes isn't exactly Carlson (or a prime Burns) and at this time of his career, he should only make sure the PK respects his shot, he shouldn't see himself as a primary shooter. He has fired more shots on net than Pettersson even without Petey's 9 crossbars/ posts, that's still unacceptable as a team.

If Hughes improves his shot significantly, then we can start talking about him being a legit option for point shots. But now, at this stage? He should only shoot with screens and a good chance of a deflection, his shot will never go in on its own and he's taking way too many bad shots, when someone like Petey could've fired that thing instead.

Now Hughes lies at 3,6% in shooting percentage. Not exactly a number shaking the bones of the opposition. He needs a lot better shot before it becomes a real threat. That's not where Hughes shines as a player.

The primary goal on the PP should be to feed Petey. If the PK covers the hell out of it, then there are other options available and Hughes firing the puck is way long down that list.
I noticed that A LOT of passes to Petey on the PP are not in his wheelhouse. So many times Petey is all wind up and ready, and the pass (usually from Hughes) is either too far to his back leg or too far away from it, and Petey has to stop the puck and adjust, which lose him the one-timer opportunity and have the D close the shoot lane. He is then forced to pass it up again.
Better passes from Miller and Hughes will allow Petey to shoot more on the PP.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Since the 2nd Senators games, he's 9th in the league in scoring. Look at the Toi for all the guys ahead of him. I believe the second green gets canned, and Pettersson starts getting the ice time most star centres get instead of the fringe 2C 5on5 ice time he gets right now he'll breakout.

Screen_Shot_2021-03-02_at_10.02.13_PM.png

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Since the 2nd Senators games, he's 9th in the league in scoring. Look at the Toi for all the guys ahead of him. I believe the second green gets canned, and Pettersson starts getting the ice time most star centres get instead of the fringe 2C 5on5 ice time he gets right now he'll breakout.

yea but Huberdeau has more points with even less ice time :sarcasm:

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
How many time have we seen this? Pettersson wide open and Hughes trying to shoot through 10 guys from the point. Like he did last night with 2 minutes left and an empty net. I think it's because he still has a fringe hope of being the top dog on the Canucks. Some sort of internal competition going on.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008

Nice to see Pettersson is turning it around, but there are more guys than Pettersson who would be in the top 10 in scoring if you gave them a mulligan for their worst 8 game stretch. If he wants to be considered a top player in the league he has to be more consistent.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Its good that the points are coming, but he still looks pretty mediocre. No "wow" factor so far this year. Good sign to still produce when not clicking, can only get better.
Not worried about our top players. Miller, Hughes, Boes, EP is still a legit start going forward. Seasons just gone to shit.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
How many time have we seen this? Pettersson wide open and Hughes trying to shoot through 10 guys from the point. Like he did last night with 2 minutes left and an empty net. I think it's because he still has a fringe hope of being the top dog on the Canucks. Some sort of internal competition going on.
Too many. Hughes shot is a muffin and will only be a goal if it goes through a heavy screen. Petey on the other hand can beat any goalie cleanly without any screen.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Why are people surprised his injury is not fully disclosed? Opponents use that information to their advantage. Auston Matthews announced to the media he had a hand injury, that's a risky move.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Why are people surprised his injury is not fully disclosed? Opponents use that information to their advantage. Auston Matthews announced to the media he had a hand injury, that's a risky move.

1) it’s not really. Show me a case of someone in the 90s and 2000s before this stupid upper body lower body crap that specifically targeted another players bad wrist?

2) if they wanna keep the nature of the injury private then at least don’t lie about the timeline of it. Every single f***ing time.

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
Unfortunately, I feel like this kid will never play a full season. Not a durable body type.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Unfortunately, I feel like this kid will never play a full season. Not a durable body type.

He only missed a single game last year through 85 games including playoffs. The year before he had to sit out 11 games based on the cheap play by Kotkaniemi.

I don't think I'm ready to write him off like this, there isn't enough evidence to support it. He should get better as his career goes on as well if he fills out.

Reactions: rotiman187

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017

Not all random thoughts are worth posting. But since you bothered to, you should go look up players who were known to be jacked and had persistent injury problems. I'll throw one out there, Ryan Kesler.

Reactions: Lupuls Grit

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
Lol nucksflailtogether, I'll be sure to run any future thoughts by you before I go public with them. It's hilarious how defensive people get about observations of their favourite players that aren't 100% super optimistic. Get over yourself.

Anyway, my concerns regarding Petey's durability aren't solely based on his diminutive physique. He is very weak on his skates and hits the ice more often than Big Country went down in the paint. He gets manhandled regularly and seems to wind up in awkward positions on the verge of injury more frequently than most players. The fact that he backchecks more fiercely than most skill players with slight builds probably puts him in harm's way more often as well.

Hopefully this is something that will be less noticeable as he gets older and stronger, but pretending it's not an issue right now is pretty delusional.

Last edited:

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
Lol nucksflailtogether, I'll be sure to run any future thoughts by you before I go public with them. It's hilarious how defensive people get about observations of their favourite players that aren't 100% super optimistic. Get over yourself.

Anyway, my concerns regarding Petey's durability aren't solely based on his diminutive physique. He is very weak on his skates and hits the ice more often than Big Country went down in the paint. He gets manhandled regularly and seems to wind up in awkward positions on the verge of injury more frequently than most players. The fact that he backchecks more fiercely than most skill players with slight builds probably puts him in harm's way more often as well.

Hopefully this is something that will be less noticeable as he gets older and stronger, but pretending it's not an issue right now is pretty delusional.
If you look at him skating, he leans forward almost to the point of falling all by himself. Only takes a gentle nudge to push him over...

What if this "injury" is not an injury? I mean, there are quite a few Euros having problems this year. I guess it's extra hard with their social situation this year, and maybe his "upper body" injury is depression or something?

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
They need to pay him whatever he wants before we get a smart coach who plays him 22 minutes a game and then he ups his value 10-20%.

This is a no brainer 8 year deal if he is willing to sign it.

100% agreed. Whatever issues he is going through this year I believe is more of a blip. The player we saw in the playoffs is what I think(/hope) he really is. A positive game changer all over the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad