Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Calder Trophy winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Brian Elliott has (or at least had at the time) the highest regular season sv % in 2012 or 2013 but he didn't win the vezina because he only played 40 games. Would be weird to give Binnington the Calder for 30 games, and not Elliott the vezina.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I am not worrying about this at all. Period. I can only see him getting better. He is being targeted, so he might not improve in points, but he has stepped up to every challenge the last 3 years.
You can tell he’s been more involved on forchecking and board battles in the second half of the season.
But he usually lost those battles due to being underweight

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I feel like if he could just get a few points in these last two games, that Rookie of the Year award is his. If he goes pointless yet again... mmmm I dunno you guys. They might factor in how cold he's gone in the last 35 games way more than you think. Might not be done deal so many Canucks fans think it is. The rest of the league could give a rats ass about him beating Bure's record.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I feel like if he could just get a few points in these last two games, that Rookie of the Year award is his. If he goes pointless yet again... mmmm I dunno you guys. They might factor in how cold he's gone in the last 35 games way more than you think. Might not be done deal so many Canucks fans think it is. The rest of the league could give a rats ass about him beating Bure's record.

It will be close for sure, Petey really struggled in the last quarter of the season as the pace ramped up. He’s going to be a phenomenal player, but he’s not McDavid. He’s not going to singlehandedly save this team.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It will be close for sure, Petey really struggled in the last quarter of the season as the pace ramped up. He’s going to be a phenomenal player, but he’s not McDavid. He’s not going to singlehandedly save this team.
Have to agree...the last 20 games have been a sobering does of reality, and an indication of what he's going to be facing next season. Everybody anointing him as a savior needs to take a step back. He may have trouble replicating his point totals of this season. This is a big off-season for him. He needs to get a lot stronger and more resilient to handle the NHL grind.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Giving the Calder to 26 years old rookie who plays under 30 games will be the most nhl thing ever

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
:laugh::popcorn: I just can’t believe people’s ability to completely overlook the fact that he was a different player coming back from the Kotka injury. Pre that incident he was playing like the best player in the league. He wasn’t lucky, has’t ”come down to earth” or whatever. He simply came back too early and couldn’t really readjust starting the toucher 2nd half of the season not being 100%. People get fooled by that fact that he indeed got a couple of lucky bounces the first few weeks after his return and kept his production up, which might give the illusion that he hadnt lost a step because of the injury. Sure, fatigue factors in, but without that injury we’re looking at a 90+ points Elias and the hype would be higher than ever. He needs to figure out what made him lose his rythm there - his game is all about the small details, more than other star players, he’s not depending on explosiveness or physic. You have to be super crisp to get away with the Gretzky-esque style of play in today’s day and age.

Have to agree...the last 20 games have been a sobering does of reality, and an indication of what he's going to be facing next season. Everybody anointing him as a savior needs to take a step back. He may have trouble replicating his point totals of this season. This is a big off-season for him. He needs to get a lot stronger and more resilient to handle the NHL grind.

Reactions: sexydonut

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
:laugh::popcorn: I just can’t believe people’s ability to completely overlook the fact that he was a different player coming back from the Kotka injury. Pre that incident he was playing like the best player in the league. He wasn’t lucky, has’t ”come down to earth” or whatever. He simply came back too early and couldn’t really readjust starting the toucher 2nd half of the season not being 100%. People get fooled by that fact that he indeed got a couple of lucky bounces the first few weeks after his return and kept his production up, which might give the illusion that he hadnt lost a step because of the injury. Sure, fatigue factors in, but without that injury we’re looking at a 90+ points Elias and the hype would be higher than ever. He needs to figure out what made him lose his rythm there - his game is all about the small details, more than other star players, he’s not depending on explosiveness or physic. You have to be super crisp to get away with the Gretzky-esque style of play in today’s day and age.
Pettersson started playing bad with dahlen traded

Reactions: PatrikBerglund

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's often been said that a long, tortuous NHL season falls into three categories. There's the first couple of months, which are a glorified extension of the the training camp and exhibition schedule; followed by the dog-days of December and January when the lousy teams settle out.

Then there's the last 25 games, where teams are gearing up for the Stanley Cup playoffs and bring energy and desperation night after night. It's those last 25 games that give you a pretty clear indication of where your team and your players are really at.

So I suppose it is possible that Pettersson is battling through some kind of injury. I would guess we'll find out after the season wraps up tomorrow night. But more likely, having never played an NHL schedule before and facing top checkers every night, he's just worn down.

So my point is that he's going to have come back next year a lot stronger, with more stamina, just to replicate what he did in the early part of the schedule this season.

member 290103

Not to be an alarmist, but his play has dropped off the map this last quarter. The guy is a shell of his earlier self. Good fodder for the trolls.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
Not to be an alarmist, but his play has dropped off the map this last quarter. The guy is a shell of his earlier self. Good fodder for the trolls.

He's never played this many games before. There's an article from the other day saying he needs to work on his conditioning in the off season.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Uhhhhh so that puck flip video is absolutely f***ing amazing!

Never seen anything like that before, even better than gaudreau's video

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

The Binnington train has begun.
Tbh, i can see him winning it lmfao.

In all fairness, he’s been outstanding in the second half and is a massive part of the reason the Blues are playoff bound.

I think Pettersson should (and will) still take it based on playing a full season. He was lights out in the first half, and “merely good” in the second half. I think that for a rookie outdoes a person who’s only played half a season, but that’s my two cents.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

The Binnington train has begun.
Tbh, i can see him winning it lmfao.

A big part of that is how different the Blues' season went with and without him. They're DOA before and suddenly a contender afterwards. That's going to attract a lot of attention.

Also it gives the NHL another excuse to ignore Vancouver. They love to do that.

Reactions: Hemty

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Would love it if EP didnt win the Calder.... the fire It would ignite in him would be epic. He hates to lose and he would carry that chip on his shoulder his entire career

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER

cody glass just scored in his first AHL game. The arguments on here are going to be hilarious if he outscores Elias next year. By hilarious I mean I'll want to kill myself!!

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Steve mason last goalie who won calder played 60 games. Binnington cant win with that amount of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad