Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Calder Trophy winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Do you mean "you" as "people in general", or "you" as in me personally? I don't like how the English language doesn't have a pronoun for a general person.
Best language, GLOBAL language chimp

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Perhaps we should have foreseen how much he'd slow down towards the end of the year, but after that amazing first few weeks I didn't expect him to only get 2 goals in 22 games, and get no more than 3 shots on net in any one of those 22 games, and more often than not having 0, 1, or 2 shots on net per game. The kid just doesn't have the stamina at this point... lets hope that comes with time and maybe once he puts a few more pounds on his little noodley body.

I mean, 2 goals? That was what he was doing pretty often in ONE game early on, not 22 games.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Anyone else think he's been lacking a little bit of strength on his legs as of late? Possibly the knee still not fully recovered?

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Perhaps we should have foreseen how much he'd slow down towards the end of the year, but after that amazing first few weeks I didn't expect him to only get 2 goals in 22 games, and get no more than 3 shots on net in any one of those 22 games, and more often than not having 0, 1, or 2 shots on net per game. The kid just doesn't have the stamina at this point... lets hope that comes with time and maybe once he puts a few more pounds on his little noodley body.

I mean, 2 goals? That was what he was doing pretty often in ONE game early on, not 22 games.

All that's pretty normal rookie stuff though, they usually cool off from fatigue during the last third. Another off-season of training and he'll maintain well next year.

Reactions: EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Everybody automatically assumes that Pettersson will knock it out of the park next year, and be even better. But what if he isn't? Is he the guy who tore it up in the first few months, or the kid locked in a goal-less drought now stretching to 18 games? It's always a sobering reminder that improvement for young players isn't a linear exercise.

It might take three or four seasons before Pettersson is a legitimate ppg player in the regular season. It took the Sedins close to five years to hit their breakthrough campaigns.

Pettersson is a sublime talent.....but carrying this sorry franchise on his back next season?.....might or might not happen .But sadly, in order for the Canucks to actually improve, it has to happen.

Reactions: Fraser28

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Pettersson has lost the calder right? No chance at all anymore?

What a disappointment he is.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Just saying the same thing as everyone else in here. Everybody is disappointed
It's pretty bold to maintain that you're the spokesperson for "everybody". It's suspected his knee hasn't healed fully yet (he doesn't look as sharp and skates as well as before the knee injury), he's fatigued (he's not used to play this many games in a season) and he's far from the only one looking fatigued. Scoring slumps also happen, combined with being the focus of the opposition.

It's pretty clear he's in a slump. There has recently been some good chances for Pettersson to shoot, but he passes instead.

How the heck can you be disappointed with a player that is guaranteed to be one of the nominees for the Calder? Sure, he hasn't maintained his goalscoring, but his assists have been dropping in. All in all a very good season.

nuxnuxnux

May 15, 2011
Can’t wait to see what an off season of training and processing the nhl will do for his game next year, add in Hughes who can actually move the puck from the back end and next season is gonna be awesome to watch even if they suck still.

Reactions: Nomobo

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
The grind of a long season, being keyed in on as a top player and suffering two fairly significant injuries has definitely slowed him down. You can tell he isn’t trying to be as fancy anymore and is simplifying his game, but he’s honestly at his best when he’s being creative and trying new things.

He should still get close to or reach 70 points, which is a massive accomplishment and better than most thought coming into the season. I don’t think Dahlin has done quite enough to get the Calder, but we’lol see. It’s closer than it was.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
The grind of a long season, being keyed in on as a top player and suffering two fairly significant injuries has definitely slowed him down. You can tell he isn’t trying to be as fancy anymore and is simplifying his game, but he’s honestly at his best when he’s being creative and trying new things.

He should still get close to or reach 70 points, which is a massive accomplishment and better than most thought coming into the season. I don’t think Dahlin has done quite enough to get the Calder, but we’lol see. It’s closer than it was.
I'm hoping Pettersson can win the Calder, but I would be fine with Dahlin winning it as well. What Pettersson has done this season is special, but so is Dahlin's. If Pettersson hadn't gone through a cold streak where he just has been unable to score goals, it wouldn't be close, but now it is.

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Franchise rookie record watch:
It's a new record!
PlayerGP GA P Age
Elias Pettersson662738 6520
Pavel Bure65 342660 21
Ivan Hlinka7223 3760 31
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Swedish rookie point watch
PlayerGPGA P Age
Kent Nilsson80 4053 9323
Nicklas Backström82 14 55 6920
Elias Pettersson662738 6520
Henrik and Daniel Sedin (combined)8229 346320
Tomas Sandström74 29305920
Thomas Gradin76 2031 51 22
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Nilsson was never considered a rookie in the NHL, he had two full seasons in the WHA prior to this.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I don't think anyone can be disappointed with the season he has had. He was bound to hit a wall. With a lack of offensive threats on the roster he was also bound to be focused on by the opposition. He's going to finish at a point per game pace (or nearly)...I doubt more than a few people predicted that type of production.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Everybody automatically assumes that Pettersson will knock it out of the park next year, and be even better. But what if he isn't? Is he the guy who tore it up in the first few months, or the kid locked in a goal-less drought now stretching to 18 games?

In terms of goal scoring he's probably somewhere in between. He shot around 30% in the beginning but has shot at 4.6% in his last 23 games, and neither is sustainable obviously. It's more common for young players (<25) to improve than not though, so I don't see why he shouldn't be expected to do that next year, especially with such obvious room for improvement in his physique.

Same thing applies to Boeser, and Hughes might be able to give the team anoher dimension already next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad