Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. VII | Enjoys: Being Mr. Everything, pronouncing it "Peter-son"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Pettersson could end up better than Eichel. Matthews, I doubt it. I don't consider Eichel and Matthews in the same class, never did. But I do agree that Pettersson could end up a special player.

Comparing apples to things that aren't apples... five years down the road do you think it is possible that Pettersson will end up being more valuable to his team than Dahlin?

Not even just on the ice either... what about at the ticket gate? Do stellar D-men put bums in the seats like elite top line C's? ... if thats what he ends up being.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
I wonder what it feels like to have 18,000 people mispronounce your name in unison.

That's fine actually, people don't call Ovechkin "Avechgin" either. There's this guy on Youtube who goes out of his way to say PetterSHon and it just makes me cringe.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
If we look back to all the games he has played this year (going back to prospect games). He has been held scoreless in just 1 game.

Has 11 points in 7 games if I'm not mistaken if we count all these games?

Reactions: Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
If we look back to all the games he has played this year (going back to prospect games). He has been held scoreless in just 1 game.

Has 11 points in 7 games if I'm not mistaken if we count all these games?

It will be interesting to see how it goes as teams try to tighten things up on him but it appears like he's a points machine and will find a way to create legit scoring opportunities at least a handful of times per game. What really sets him apart is how he dogs the puck to get it back and his defensive awareness for such a young player. Will also be interesting to see what this does for Goldobin over the longer term, Pettersson sets a great example of the type of play Green has been preaching to Goldobin and he certainly has never played with someone of this caliber.

His goal and Goldobin's happened right in front of me the other night, it really was something to experience live.

Reactions: Kreator

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
If Pettersson is to be a Calder candidate this year, I imagine he's going to duel with Miro Heiskanen, who will be boosted by a team that is much better than ours:

Maybe mark these dates down:

December 1st @ home
March 17th @ Dallas
March 30th @ home
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryp37 and Josepho

Oignon Saute

Dec 19, 2011
I've been telling my people all summer that Heiskanen is just as good a prospect as Pettersson. Both just incredible hockey players. I hope they both have healthy long careers full of harware, but with Pettersson collecting the Calder!

Reactions: Ryp37 and Josepho

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If Pettersson is to be a Calder candidate this year, I imagine he's going to duel with Miro Heiskanen, who will be boosted by a team that is much better than ours:
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Ya I think it's going to come down to how many points Heiskanen and Pettersson puts up. Assuming both are healthy, if Heiskanen puts up something along the lines of 10+ goals and ~40 points playing top 4 minutes on a playoff team, Pettersson might need a 70 point and or 35+ goal season to clinch it. On the bright side, it seems the Pettersson hype has been spreading and I anticipate that Pettersson will have the much fancier highly reel for the voters to consider.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Comparing apples to things that aren't apples... five years down the road do you think it is possible that Pettersson will end up being more valuable to his team than Dahlin?

Not even just on the ice either... what about at the ticket gate? Do stellar D-men put bums in the seats like elite top line C's? ... if thats what he ends up being.

Winning teams gets people in seats.

I wouldn't go to a Canucks game if we had McDavid or Ovechkin or whoever but still sucked.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Ya I think it's going to come down to how many points Heiskanen and Pettersson puts up. Assuming both are healthy, if Heiskanen puts up something along the lines of 10+ goals and ~40 points playing top 4 minutes on a playoff team, Pettersson might need a 70 point and or 35+ goal season to clinch it. On the bright side, it seems the Pettersson hype has been spreading and I anticipate that Pettersson will have the much fancier highly reel for the voters to consider.

Helps that Heiskanen is playing for a team like Dallas rather than a major market team, especially eastern, like Toronto, Montreal, Boston etc.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
In an interview I heard him say he didnt really care but Swedish way is Pet ter shon.

Youtube has this though lol

He should spell it like that then, makes no sense

Pettershawn would be MUCH clearer way to spell it

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Going through part 1 of the Pettersson thread is HILARIOUS. So many great armchair GMs going crazy over the pick.

Funny, I went through it and thought most people were fairly ok with the pick. Some super excited, most saying Pettersson wasn’t their top pick but he was an intriguing pick. A couple did freak out, one quite emphatically.

Not as bad as you’re suggesting.

Reactions: Toxic0n and Melvin

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
Going through part 1 of the Pettersson thread is HILARIOUS. So many great armchair GMs going crazy over the pick.

I just did the same because of your post. Yes, pretty funny. At the time I had no idea one way or the other as I haven't had the time to follow much aside from the Canucks and occasional goings on around the NHL and I often find myself questioning how much other people here actually watch these kids considering how opinionated they are when it's tough enough for guys getting paid to project how teenagers will ultimately pan out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad