Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. IX | The 6th rookie since 1967 to put up multiple 5P games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Br2cZkl.gif

Reactions: thekernel

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Not gonna lie, I am a little disappointed he didn't try to Ovechkin it. He had a chance.

He's a Swedish Centre, he had to go for the passing version of that play. He zigs when he should zig, he zags when he should zag, but he Henriks when he should Daniel

Less Henrik, more Daniel please

Last edited:
Reactions: Katani Kalan

BlueGreen

Jan 3, 2018
Jesus ****ing Christ, that's in if he isn't tripped

Beautiful move, and it sucks that he was tripped. Thats highlight reel material for sure. I’ll take the trip over skinner crushing him when he was caught with his head down puck watching though. If that had been a bigger winger in a checking role he may have been hit hard. Our superstar needs to be a little more careful in the NHL when pulling off these incredible moves especially because of the unacceptable headhunting going on in the game. That was a smart play by Skinner as he clearly saved a goal and I also respect that he didn’t cripple EP at the same time.

Edit- If he can learn to do that move with his head up he’d be able to see a hit coming, and in this case possibly get out of the way of the trip also.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Would’ve been one of the best goals in the last five years if he scored on that.

I honestly can't remember a more sick goal than that, had he put it in.

Tried it in the face of the goalie, with three Nucks swarming him.

That shouldn't even enter anyone's mind.

BlueGreen

Jan 3, 2018
Which #1 Centre in the NHL has worse linemates than EP?
Not sure, but it’s easy to see that other teams are targeting EP and playing him a lot tighter as the season progresses. He’s the straw that stirs the drink on his line and the other players flanking him aren’t really helping him out, so teams know not to give him time and space. When Boeser comes back he’ll open up a lot more room on the ice for EP to perform his magic.

I also noticed that some of the other teams players are trying to get under his skin in the last few games. JV can be a tough customer and I wouldn’t mind if coach Green experimented with a Virtanen-EP-Boeser line moving forward when Brock gets back into the line up.

Last edited:

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
One thing is for sure swedish media has not had a hard on this big for a hockey player for as long as I can remember.

Reactions: Tv9924

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Beautiful move, and it sucks that he was tripped. Thats highlight reel material for sure. I’ll take the trip over skinner crushing him when he was caught with his head down puck watching though. If that had been a bigger winger in a checking role he may have been hit hard. Our superstar needs to be a little more careful in the NHL when pulling off these incredible moves especially because of the unacceptable headhunting going on in the game. That was a smart play by Skinner as he clearly saved a goal and I also respect that he didn’t cripple EP at the same time.

Edit- If he can learn to do that move with his head up he’d be able to see a hit coming, and in this case possibly get out of the way of the trip also.

Psst. SHL has tons of headhunting too and insane hits happen daily there.
Dont tell anyone!

BlueGreen

Jan 3, 2018
Psst. SHL has tons of headhunting too and insane hits happen daily there.
Dont tell anyone!
I agree. I’m sure it happens at every level in hockey. The NHL just happens to be the fastest league with the best players in the world all competing on a smaller ice surface compared to the rinks in Europe.

I want EP to succeed and stay healthy. Every team has now recognized that he’s a phenomenal talent and our best player and they’re targeting him much more closely. He’s an extremely smart, astute player and has already made adjustments to this league and he’ll continue to do so for sure. I hope we can all enjoy this special player for a long time. He’s brought so much life and excitement back into this team. I’m just sick of the other teams taking cheap shots at him lately.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeteyDangles

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Yep, that's going in the Pettersson folder. I would have lost my bananas if he got the finish. Smart penalty from Skinner though, knowing everyone was totally beat. Saved the game for them.

View media item 3345
Unfortunately he’s falling in the ”wrong” direction so he doesn’t see he has a shot at the ”Ovechkin” towards an open net.

Edit: 2nd time this season he’s tripped with an empty net... They should start calling PS or automatic goal on that.

Edit 2: What’s most dazzling about it imo is the timing and EP’s insane patience - he waits out the goalie, surrounded by 3 defenders in a narrow space, until Hutton bites on the fake shot - then he pulls off the magic. That is what created the wide open net.

Last edited:

BlueGreen

Jan 3, 2018
View media item 3345
Unfortunately he’s falling in the ”wrong” direction so he doesn’t see he has a shot at the ”Ovechkin” towards an open net.

Edit: 2nd time this season he’s tripped with an empty net... They should start calling PS or automatic goal on that.

Edit 2: What’s most dazzling about it imo is the timing and EP’s insane patience - he waits out the goalie, surrounded by 3 defenders in a narrow space, until Hutton bites on the fake shot - then he pulls off the magic. That is what created the wide open net.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Just came back, still mad as hell he didn't score here either by not getting tripped or sweeping it forwards instead of backwards.

:rant:

He can't see the net/goalie from that prone position, sweeping back is the correct play in that situation (maintain possession).

But yeah, if he sweeps it in it is goal of the decade. I love this player, leaning more and more to Virtanen on LW to smash any opposing player that looks at EP sideways, rather than Loui (who is not a bad option for other reasons).

Reactions: PeteyDangles

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I did some digging through my archives and looked up old rankings and scouting reports from the 2017 draft. It is curious just how mixed (and borderline indifferent) the reviews were about Pettersson.

The most interesting part was that no one pegged this player correctly. Not a single scouting service or expert (whom I know) ranked Pettersson as the best player in the draft. No one even had him top 3.

Grant McCagg rated him 13th (woof). Redline did not have him in their top 10 and in fact soured on him as early as April. Most rankings were conservative and slotted him between 5th and 7th. Bob McKenzie's final list placed Pete 7th overall.

The renegade Simon Boisvert, who often has a keen eye for raw talent and a penchant for transcending conventional wisdom, also did not have Pettersson top-5.

Shortly after the draft, one of the predominant takes was that Pettersson did not look very good in the summer warm-up tourneys.

In a nutshell, no one saw this guy's true potential. Everyone got it wrong. Scouting is no science; not even close.

Reactions: Indiana
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad