Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. IX | The 6th rookie since 1967 to put up multiple 5P games

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Why not? I would have to exaggerate an awful lot more to even get close to a balance in here, though because it's so rabidly anti-Benning.

I'm sure all the Benning-haters must be exaggerating, as surely no one could be that bitter and have such blinkered views, could they?

So its like... Giving a movie on IMDB a 10 because you think its a 7 and its current score is 6?

Are you really asking why you shouldnt be dishonest?

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
remember when people said Pettersson would slow down in SHL. There is no reason to think he will slow in NHL either. Sure slumps will always be there, but he wont go long without producing.

Barzal last year no? Other than that it has been phenomenal​

wasnt barzal in his D+3 year?​

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
remember when people said Pettersson would slow down in SHL. There is no reason to think he will slow in NHL either. Sure slumps will always be there, but he wont go long without producing.
Very good point. We forget with the world juniors, SHL playoffs, champions league, and worlds he played a lot of hockey, well over 80 games if I’m not mistaken. Vancouvers schedule has been so condensed the first half. He’ll get more rest between games, as will the team in the 2nd half here.

Reactions: Kreator

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Very good point. We forget with the world juniors, SHL playoffs, champions league, and worlds he played a lot of hockey, well over 80 games if I’m not mistaken. Vancouvers schedule has been so condensed the first half. He’ll get more rest between games, as will the team in the 2nd half here.
Pettersson played his best hockey in march/april last season. when playoffs came he just shifted up another gear.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Barzal last year no? Other than that it has been phenomenal

Barzal was the first rookie to put up 80+ points since Malkin. Those two, along with Crosby and Ovechkin,have the only rookie 80+ point seasons since the early 90's. It's a remarkable achievement.

If anything, Pettersson's production this season has been somewhat underrated. Imagine him joining that group of players, and without a Tavares to play with.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Barzal was the first rookie to put up 80+ points since Malkin. Those two, along with Crosby and Ovechkin,have the only rookie 80+ point seasons since the early 90's. It's a remarkable achievement.

If anything, Pettersson's production this season has been somewhat underrated. Imagine him joining that group of players, and without a Tavares to play with.

Yes, but need to account for higher scoring this year.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Higher than what? Higher than crosby/Ovechkin years? I doubt it but will admit to not looking it up.

I meant in comparison to Barzal last year. Not sure about scoring rates in the mid 2000s.

BiggBird

Dec 30, 2018
Petey is a real treat to watch. I will admit I never thought he would be so good so fast I honestly thought 45-50 Pts would be a successful season for him. Now that he’s looking to smash that the sky seems to be the limit.

Reactions: Peen

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
I think he will be generational, I wouldn't trade him for anyone except McDavid.
100% agree he is generational. He is a hockey prodigy and think Roger Federer when I see him play, sorry for non-hockey reference but Fed is an athlete with perfect mix of high intelligence and raw skill which is EP to a tee.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Islanders last yr : 3.18g/gm
Canucks this yr : 3.00g/gm

Nothing to account for.

That’s one statistic, but I was referring to league scoring, not per team, which is usually the accepted adjustment basis.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
That’s one statistic, but I was referring to league scoring, not per team, which is usually the accepted adjustment basis.
Well.. when looking at a single player on a single team in a single season.. what all the other teams are doing doesn't seem too relevant..
And we're one season apart here... not different eras... also we're only 38-41 games into this season... so kinda hard conclude the actual finish of the league wide scoring rate without going thru the late season buckle down portion of it.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Well.. when looking at a single player on a single in a single season.. what all the other teams are doing doesn't seem too relevant..
And we're one season apart here... not different eras... also we're only 38-41 games into this season... so kinda hard conclude actuall finish of the league wide scoring rate without going thru the late season buckle down portion of the season.

There is quite a large difference in scoring from this year to last, so it absolutely does matter. Both statistics are relevant, don’t you agree?

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015

In this case team scoring vs team scoring seems more telling since both players played for fairly poor teams.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Ah, gotcha. I would be curious to know to what extent first half scoring differs from second half scoring historically.
Purely guessing, but I'll bet it lowers gradually throughout the season as the annual "obstruction crackdown" lifts and fewer power plays are given, and officials transition mentally into "playoff mode" where the league becomes a joke.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I meant in comparison to Barzal last year. Not sure about scoring rates in the mid 2000s.
The Islanders last year scored a ton of goals. This years Canuck team is basically the same team as last year's team who could not score. These factors more than offsets any higher scoring in the league this year.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
We could compare Barzal this year to Petterson if you want to argue about who is better? Of course one would need to handicap Barzal as he is older and has a year extra of experience. Barzal had great year but it was not as impressive as Petterson's thus far.

Last night Burke was comparing Gaudreau to Petterson and did not mention over 5 year age difference

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Purely guessing, but I'll bet it lowers gradually throughout the season as the annual "obstruction crackdown" lifts and fewer power plays are given, and officials transition mentally into "playoff mode" where the league becomes a joke.

He is already getting matched and played that way and he just seems to find ways to adjust should we expect he won't continue?
All he needs is one step or move in offensive zone and his shot is lethal he might find it tougher going but he will still find the net and open players .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad