Prospect Info: Elias Pettersson | Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
If you boot his shooting percentage down to 10%, which is very reasonable, he's still playing at a point per game rate, which is obviously still very impressive.

We don't know what is reasonable or not for the SHL.

At least, as far as I know we don't. Has anyone studied it? It might be perfectly reasonable for an elite talent to shoot at 25% in this league.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
We don't know what is reasonable or not for the SHL.

At least, as far as I know we don't. Has anyone studied it? It might be perfectly reasonable for an elite talent to shoot at 25% in this league.

I just assumed it's somewhat similar to other leagues and I remember hearing from someone that it was actually lower than the NHL.

Either way, my point is that it's not like his shooting percentage is massively driving his production -- he's still a playmaker in the first place.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

lakers11

Aug 23, 2014
Let Elias try to break SHLs impossible 80 point barrier next season. Should let växjö keep him one more year.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
The player deserves hype but that title is blatantly wrong.

Like, in the last decade only Evgeni Malkin (by one point) has had more points in a season than Henrik's 112. But 'Most Offensive Upside Since Sedins' doesn't seem as eye-catching and click-baity when the Sedins are still playing here.

Depends on what he means - I think it's arguable to say that EP projects as a better offensive player than Henrik did back in 2000, as a prospect (after all, Pettersson is on pace to blow out Hank's 47 p in 50 gp from his D+1 year). In that sense, Pettersson could easily be considered the most exciting offensive prospect we've had since Bure.

That, of course, would be different than saying EP projects to be a better player than Henrik was in his MVP, 112-point season, a year that exceeded even the most optimistic projections for Hank's upside when he was drafted.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
The Trifecta in the Tre Kronor?

2018 World Jr's
2018 Olympic Team
2018 World Championships

Will happen? Has it happened before?

trekronor_logotyp_800.jpg
Kenny Jonsson was the last Swede to play in all three in the same season. Before NHLers were in the Olympics it was fairly common for the top Europeans to play in all three. Along with Pettersson there will probably be a few others this year.

Malkin was the only one to do it in the top divisions while NHLers were in the Olympics.

Reactions: DL44

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
That, of course, would be different than saying EP projects to be a better player than Henrik was in his MVP, 112-point season, a year that exceeded even the most optimistic projections for Hank's upside when he was drafted.

You don't think people were expecting 100 point MVP seasons from the twins when they were drafted? That's not my recollection. It was after they came into the league that fans started to downgrade their expectations.

Anyway, it's risky to compare anyone to Henrik & Daniel. Their career paths are bizarre outliers. It's part of what makes them such interesting players.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Wait a sec. I thought backstrom had the d+1 record? But sedin has 47p in 50 games.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
You don't think people were expecting 100 point MVP seasons from the twins when they were drafted? That's not my recollection. It was after they came into the league that fans started to downgrade their expectations.

Anyway, it's risky to compare anyone to Henrik & Daniel. Their career paths are bizarre outliers. It's part of what makes them such interesting players.

Yup, look at the rest of the league, everytime a high-skill prospect busts they tend to compare them to the Sedins. Particularly Yakapov.

The Sedins are extreme statistical outliers for pros. However, their D+1 was still really god damn good. Their NHL productions early are outliers.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Dunno why everyone including me talks about backstrom 40p in 45g when sedin did 47 in 50

Kuzmenkshow

Big smile, big hair, big time player
Jun 21, 2006
Kelowna, BC
The player deserves hype but that title is blatantly wrong.

Like, in the last decade only Evgeni Malkin (by one point) has had more points in a season than Henrik's 112. But 'Most Offensive Upside Since Sedins' doesn't seem as eye-catching and click-baity when the Sedins are still playing here.

Oh my god this times 1,000,000. The disrespect the Sedins still get around the hockey world and even from Canucks fans makes me sick. There was a comment on the Canucks Facebook post of Boeser's 2nd goal on Wednesday that said he was the first scoring star the Canucks have had in a million years and the next person said "ya, not since Naslund."

It's like no one remembers how dominant and good the twins were and the fact that they won back to back art ross trophies, it's embarrassing.

Reactions: Dana Murzyn

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Wait a sec. I thought backstrom had the d+1 record? But sedin has 47p in 50 games.
I don't like using the draft as a comparison point for players because different players are drafted at different ages.

For example Kai Nurminen scored 55 points in 40 Elitserien games the year he was drafted. He was 26 that season.

Kent Nilsson had 47 points in 36 games his D+1 season. However he was a year older than Pettersson and Henrik in their D+1 seasons.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Dunno why everyone including me talks about backstrom 40p in 45g when sedin did 47 in 50

Good point.
Why have they been excluded?

Are people just referencing a time frame like 'the most pts by a U20 player (or D+1) over the last x number of years' or something?

Of note.. Daniel had 42pts in 50 during his 18 yr old draft year... which must also be close to a record.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
I just assumed it's somewhat similar to other leagues and I remember hearing from someone that it was actually lower than the NHL.

Either way, my point is that it's not like his shooting percentage is massively driving his production -- he's still a playmaker in the first place.

For what it's worth, he's 4th in the league with 23.91%. With 1st and 2nd having only played 3 and 1 game respectively
source: SHL.se

Edit: Well scrap that. That list doesn't make any sense. It only consist of 60 players then it starts over with a couple of players with higher percentage than him.

Last edited:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Kenny Jonsson was the last Swede to play in all three in the same season. Before NHLers were in the Olympics it was fairly common for the top Europeans to play in all three. Along with Pettersson there will probably be a few others this year.

Malkin was the only one to do it in the top divisions while NHLers were in the Olympics.

Doubtful. I think the Canucks will sign him right after the Olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad