Rumor: Elias Pettersson - No Deal Imminent (Aug 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Normally I would take the 4 first round picks gladly if we had any other GM. Not with a team that drafted Juolevi, Gaunce , Shinkaruk, Hodgson, virtanen etc in the 1st round.
Wow, to cram so much wrong into so few words.

You would take 4 1sts for Petey? You and nobody else in hockey.

And you're listing only the bad first rounders from the past 13 years. You're a troll, right?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Elias not playing this Wednesday either..?..I thought he would be in for sure after this break (from what started as a day to day).

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Wow, to cram so much wrong into so few words.

You would take 4 1sts for Petey? You and nobody else in hockey.

And you're listing only the bad first rounders from the past 13 years. You're a troll, right?

you’re insane to not take 4 first rounders for EP40. A half competent GM builds a winner with 8 first round picks in 4 years.

You would be a very JB-esque GM.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
you’re insane to not take 4 first rounders for EP40. A half competent GM builds a winner with 8 first round picks in 4 years.

Would you take these 4 picks for EP?

2021 #28
2022 # 26
2023 #30
2024 #24

I wouldn't!

Sure, I would maybe consider taking #5, #3, #6, #8, but if you list the players taken in those positions; how many turn out to be close to EP. Maybe 1, while 2 end up as decent complimentary pieces, and 1 misses. This would be a pretty good outcome. Most other outcomes would be bad; even at those draft places

Reactions: geebster and bh53

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

You would be the Buffalo Sabres.

31 GMs would not take 4 first round picks for EP. There is no guarantee of where those picks are, and no guarantee of how those picks end up.

Would you trade EP for Nugent Hopkins, Taylor Hall, Yakupov, and Darnell Nurse?
That's a haul of 3(!) first overalls (which we would never get) and a 7th overall.

That's literally probably better than the best case scenario in that all of them have played a fairly significant number of NHL games.

Teams that would sign him to an offer sheet would not be the bottom feeders. You would be lucky if all 4 players even played in the show at all.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
A random distribution of four first round picks (say a 5, 10, 15, 25th) might net you 2-3 NHL players in the near term, and 3-4 long term MAYBE. It wouldnt be unreasonable for a first round pick to only be a 40 point player (happens far more often than a first round pick is a point per game). So would you trade Petey for 2 MAYBE 40 point players with the possibility of them being 0.5 PPG players being far more likely than being on Petey's level (PPG+)? I wouldnt. If the team giving the 4 first rounders is certainly going to be a lottery team the entire 4 years, then sure it likely becomes worth it, but if you are getting 4 25-30th overall picks, chances are the AGGREGATE of those 4 players' production 7 years from now will be less than Peteys.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
A random distribution of four first round picks (say a 5, 10, 15, 25th) might net you 2-3 NHL players in the near term, and 3-4 long term MAYBE. It wouldnt be unreasonable for a first round pick to only be a 40 point player (happens far more often than a first round pick is a point per game). So would you trade Petey for 2 MAYBE 40 point players with the possibility of them being 0.5 PPG players being far more likely than being on Petey's level (PPG+)? I wouldnt. If the team giving the 4 first rounders is certainly going to be a lottery team the entire 4 years, then sure it likely becomes worth it, but if you are getting 4 25-30th overall picks, chances are the AGGREGATE of those 4 players' production 7 years from now will be less than Peteys.

That's not a random distribution

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
This thread is an embarrassment.

I totally understand the frustration with management, but not everything is about them. Injuries can quite often be an evolving situation, so enough of the 'OMG why is Benning lying to us?!' hysteria.
The number of experts in this thread is astounding.
The Canucks claim it's an upper body injury and the return deadline has been extended from the initial prognosis. That's all we know as far as I know.
With that info some have surmised a misinformation campaign instigated by management and abetted by media to coverup the truth. The truth being one or a combination of the following.
  • Medical incompetence or malpractice
  • Failed rehab where surgery is necessary
  • Depression
  • Groin injury??? I love this one
  • Concussion
  • Shoulder injury
  • Wrist injury, either bone or connective tissue. (media speculation)
Now i'll be fair, too fair, it's possible that all of that is true. Possible. Likely? Lol. Possible? Okay, sure. Hell, we can throw in erectile dysfunction while we're at it.
I get it, I live in a fantasy world too. I believe it's possible for people to stick to what they know and openly admit they are just spit balling Thier own worthless opinions when they don't know. But hey, fantasy.

Johnny Canuck brings up a point worth exploring about fan criticism as a catalyst for change. My personal opinion on this is that they don't give a flying f*** what we think until it hurts the bottom line.
National media runs cover for them by carefully omitting failures to manipulate context. How is it possible that we still don't know why Trevor Linden was fired?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
You would be the Buffalo Sabres.

31 GMs would not take 4 first round picks for EP. There is no guarantee of where those picks are, and no guarantee of how those picks end up.

Would you trade EP for Nugent Hopkins, Taylor Hall, Yakupov, and Darnell Nurse?
That's a haul of 3(!) first overalls (which we would never get) and a 7th overall.

That's literally probably better than the best case scenario in that all of them have played a fairly significant number of NHL games.

Teams that would sign him to an offer sheet would not be the bottom feeders. You would be lucky if all 4 players even played in the show at all.

32 GMs disagree with you

ASAP Surg

Nov 26, 2009
Vancouver
32 GMs disagree with you
Would the Hurricanes trade Aho for a collection of Caufield, Guhle, and two more mid-teen to 20s?

I’m being loose with what they would’ve received had they not matched the offer sheet but that’s probably generous if we’re being honest when it comes to returns.

Barring sheer dumb luck you’re not getting close to 4 lottery picks/blue-chip prospects with those picks.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Any team trading 4 #1 picks for an established player is probably a competitive team, and getting 4 #1 picks in the 16-31 range for Elias Pettersson would be an absolute disaster and an all-time horrible trade.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Any team trading 4 #1 picks for an established player is probably a competitive team, and getting 4 #1 picks in the 16-31 range for Elias Pettersson would be an absolute disaster and an all-time horrible trade.

I can see a scenario where a smart GM can then reroute those picks to other teams to acquire players of equal value. Unless there's already an established plan and contingency (and the evaluation of Pettersson is that his next contract will outweigh his actual value to a winning club), that trade doesn't make any sense. This is something that NBA teams have started doing; hoarding 1st round picks but treating them entirely as tradable assets to acquire a disgruntled superstar. There are obvious roster construction and prospect development differences between the two sports where this would have to be scaled back to fit in the NHL.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I can see a scenario where a smart GM can then reroute those picks to other teams to acquire players of equal value. Unless there's already an established plan and contingency (and the evaluation of Pettersson is that his next contract will outweigh his actual value to a winning club), that trade doesn't make any sense. This is something that NBA teams have started doing; hoarding 1st round picks but treating them entirely as tradable assets to acquire a disgruntled superstar. There are obvious roster construction and prospect development differences between the two sports where this would have to be scaled back to fit in the NHL.

It's possible but it would be exceedingly difficult (certainly beyond the abilities of our GM). And requires players to be available at the right time and being the high bidder in multiple trades.

For the record, I'm not one for hoarding draft picks and if I was a GM I'd probably almost always be running a pick deficit unless deep in the depths of a rebuild. The most overrated/overvalued assets in hockey are #1 picks in the 20-30 range of the draft.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna

Well, they're almost always a competitive team when they use multiple 1sts to acquire an established player.

092713_kessel.jpg

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Well, they're almost always a competitive team when they use multiple 1sts to acquire an established player.

092713_kessel.jpg

When it's top-10 picks ... yeah, that doesn't work.

Further to my previous post, I don't think most people grasp how great the difference is in value between a top-5 pick and a #22 overall pick.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It's possible but it would be exceedingly difficult (certainly beyond the abilities of our GM). And requires players to be available at the right time and being the high bidder in multiple trades.

For the record, I'm not one for hoarding draft picks and if I was a GM I'd probably almost always be running a pick deficit unless deep in the depths of a rebuild. The most overrated/overvalued assets in hockey are #1 picks in the 20-30 range of the draft.

Me too. It only works if you already have the framework(s) of a deal(s) in-place or if you are willing to enter a rebuild. I would like to see teams trade prospects much faster to acquire picks/players. It happens very consistently in other sports but the NHL is so very far behind.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Me too. It only works if you already have the framework(s) of a deal(s) in-place or if you are willing to enter a rebuild. I would like to see teams trade prospects much faster to acquire picks/players. It happens very consistently in other sports but the NHL is so very far behind.

No kidding.

A smart team would sell earlier on prospects and on draft picks (and compensate by doing a Chicago and signing more 'free' prospects and veteran Europeans). Picks have more value as currency than they do as picks->prospects in development.

Like, we're 5 years removed from the 2016 draft and these are the regular NHL players taken in the 145 picks after Adam Fox at pick #66 :

Jesper Bratt
Brandon Hagel (hilariously not signed by incompetent Buffalo and now a Chicago 4th liner)

That's it. From 145 guys, 5 years later. 2 current regular NHLers. There are a few guys hanging around as 13th forwards/regular healthy scratches and Ross Colton might be breaking into TB right now, but any/every team could have generated far more value from those picks by using them to help their current team.

If the market dictates, I have no problem being a *buyer* at this year's deadline - counterintuitive as it sounds - if we can add players who have team control into next season or if we can make the trade conditional on a re-signing. Said the same thing in 2019 when Mark Stone and Nick Jensen went for peanuts.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'd shut him down for the year, honestly. He needs to rest, and he's been playing injured since Day 1 this season. The playoff grind really got to him.

This also bodes well for our cap as he certainly won't be commanding $10+ million per season. Moreso around the $7.5-8 million per range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad