Rumor: Elias Pettersson - No Deal Imminent (Aug 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Can't wait for the inevitable contracts that are right in the middle between the optimist and the pessimist, and we get a few thousand posts debating whether Benning should be fired to the sun or to the moon.
Hey Nostradamus, shutcho mouth, we trying to spitball here. 8.75x8 my guy.

Reactions: JAK

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
You could make the argument we brought in OEL because Hughes dropped the ball in such a major way last year that it was necessary to shore up the left side.

and you sir would have an argument on your hands
OEL is the face of the franchise, highest paid and longest term
Marketable
Loveable
Mentorpedable

this is OEL country

Reactions: bandwagonesque

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Do you honestly think that if there was a generous offer on the table for one player, JP Barry would advise the player not to accept so that the other player could get a better deal?

It's important to remember that the agent ultimately represents and acts on the players instructions, and the agent owes an obligation to each player independently to work to maximize their earnings.

The Canucks freed up cap space to sign both Pettersson and Hughes longterm - if the team can accomplish this at a reasonable number ($16m combined, with 8 years for both would be a dream), that's a win for the team.

I never said that. I said that an agent will consider both deals in tandem, and that provides leverage for the agent, not the GM negotiating the deal. How much that actually enters to negotiation would probably somewhat depend on the tone of the negotiation along with several other factors, but it is definitely a consideration.

Its not link I'm the only one thinking this way, it's a standard negotiating tacting:

Pettersson switches agents ahead of contract negotiations with Canucks | Offside (dailyhive.com)

Vancouver Canucks Elias Pettersson switches to Quinn Hughes’ agent. Here’s why it matters. (canucksarmy.com)

Etc.

The bottom line is that these two players being represented by the same agent does not help us at all.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I never said that. I said that an agent will consider both deals in tandem, and that provides leverage for the agent, not the GM negotiating the deal. How much that actually enters to negotiation would probably somewhat depend on the tone of the negotiation along with several other factors, but it is definitely a consideration.

Its not link I'm the only one thinking this way, it's a standard negotiating tacting:

Pettersson switches agents ahead of contract negotiations with Canucks | Offside (dailyhive.com)

Vancouver Canucks Elias Pettersson switches to Quinn Hughes’ agent. Here’s why it matters. (canucksarmy.com)

Etc.

The bottom line is that these two players being represented by the same agent does not help us at all.

Or, or, or.

Pettersson's previous agent doesn't have as much experience in terms of dealing with complicated discussions.

Or, Pettersson wasn't happy with the agent's plans for Pettersson, and wants to change it to his direction.

No one knows except Pettersson.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
ContentPracticalEwe-max-1mb.gif

There's a live scene of EP and Hughes turning down Bennings latest offer.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Or, or, or.

Pettersson's previous agent doesn't have as much experience in terms of dealing with complicated discussions.

Or, Pettersson wasn't happy with the agent's plans for Pettersson, and wants to change it to his direction.

No one knows except Pettersson.

Agreed. I'm not saying Pettersson changed agents strictly for the purpose of him and Hughes having the same agent throughout this negotiation, I'm just saying that it is a factor that won't be doing the Canucks any favours.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Agreed. I'm not saying Pettersson changed agents strictly for the purpose of him and Hughes having the same agent throughout this negotiation, I'm just saying that it is a factor that won't be doing the Canucks any favours.

But it also might not make it as hard.

What if Pettersson's demand to the agent was to figure it out with Canucks no matter what and no offer sheets, and his previous agent went and tried to play hardball with the Canucks? What if Pettersson wants to take below market value and his previous agent had a fallout with him because Pettersson is his meal ticket. ( Previous agent only has 3 players under contract, the only big name is William Karlsson )

Reactions: Sinistril

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
You could make the argument we brought in OEL because Hughes dropped the ball in such a major way last year that it was necessary to shore up the left side.
Last season is 100% on the FO and 0% on the players.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Etc.

This FO is not “us”.

They reap what they sow.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
The amusing thing about shared agents is that if Benning hadn't cleared cap space, the agent would have had a conflict of interest, as each dollar for Hughes would have been a dollar out of Pettersson's pocket.

Reactions: DS7 and Sinistril

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

we absolutely needed a high minute shutdown capable guy on the left side with hughes and rathbone and juolevi behind him.

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
The amusing thing about shared agents is that if Benning hadn't cleared cap space, the agent would have had a conflict of interest, as each dollar for Hughes would have been a dollar out of Pettersson's pocket.

It might still create a conflict of interest if they expect to be overpaid like many posters on here assume. Benning has essentially left some room to overpay slightly, but 10+ for EP is basically out of the question unless JPB wants to screw over QH

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
So... Hughes basically proved he shouldn't be paid like a first pairing dman?

hughes was a sophomore with no rookie treatment who was very well scouted because he played the same teams over and over again. he got caved in defensively but he still put up a lot of points. you can argue it is a blip and he will adjust or that he has been figured out like ghost was. this season will tell the tale. i don't think anyone knows but i would put my money on him righting the ship. he's a smart hockey player.

without the family mystique and hype i think he would be down enough on salary expectations to be asking for a one year show me deal to set himself up for a better payday next year. given his excellent branding he might be able to get a deal that assumes it was a blip.

Reactions: JAK
Feb 19, 2018
Pettersson should come in at $7 for 3 years like Barzel. Hasn’t proved anything more. $7.5 maybe because of his playoff. Hughes should come in at Boeser money. Maybe a tad more so $6

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I mean....kinda.

They decided to chase after OEL and ended up with Holtby/Virtanen/Schmidt instead of bringing back lifelong Canuck and Hughes' best fit in Chris Tanev.
If Hughes can only play with Tanev, I am glad we found that out, because no team has won much with Tanev in top 4. Seriously though I think Hughes improved as year went on. He did not start well as the rest of the team sucked as well. Better forwards and having same partner should help him a lot this year.

Reactions: Sinistril

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I mean....kinda.

They decided to chase after OEL and ended up with Holtby/Virtanen/Schmidt instead of bringing back lifelong Canuck and Hughes' best fit in Chris Tanev.
All that proves is that Hughes needs to be insulated with a babysitter and doesn't deserve a big #1D-level ticket. You can't blame Jim Benning for the fact that he was turn-styled on a nightly basis.

I have full faith in Quinn that he can battle through the increased pressure he saw in his sophomore season and improve his defensive game but, as far as I'm concerned, that's on him and not the guys in the pressbox.

Reactions: Ghetty Green
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad