Rumor: Elias Pettersson - No Deal Imminent (Aug 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Can't wait for the inevitable contracts that are right in the middle between the optimist and the pessimist, and we get a few thousand posts debating whether Benning should be fired to the sun or to the moon.

Reactions: dwarf

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Can't wait for the inevitable contracts that are right in the middle between the optimist and the pessimist, and we get a few thousand posts debating whether Benning should be fired to the sun or to the moon.

Firing Benning to either the sun or the moon would be a total Benning move...you only need to fire him into outer space to get the desired effect.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Cases of players sharing one agent to help the team fit them in :

Sedins

Cases of players sharing one agent to screw the team over :

??

There is a reason one of the players fired his agent and be with the other, and surely it isn't to try and maximize value.

You max value of your contract by having your own agent, and not let the other players you want to talk salary from have the Intel of what you want.

That isn’t necessarily true. By them having the same agent Benning can’t really play both player agents against one another to create urgency to get a deal done. Plus, I doubt Pettersson decided to switch agents to do the Canucks any kind of favour.

It could also tie the negotiations together a bit, into a single negotiation, which could deplete the Canucks leverage a bit as well.

I’ll wait to see the results, and hopefully I’ll eat crow, but I think these two having the same agent and same RFA year is not a good thing for the Canucks.

Reactions: canucksfan

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Also a serious lack of ~*~ Calder trophy finalist ~*~ talk with both of those dudes.

Don't think Tyson Barrie has that particular feather in his cap or the draft pedigree to go along with it.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I never said he should get Makar that would be a huge overpayment. But he sure isn't getting 5 million. My point has been, defensemen are getting paid this off-season. Hughes cap hit likely is around 7 million-7.5 million which IMO is fair for both sides.
Hughes is tough to find comparables - high risk/high reward as he could be anything from Barrie to a complete #1d if he figures things out.

In terms of numbers I think makes sense, 3x$5-$5.5m (several good young defencemen signed in this range) and 8x$7-7.5m (representing a step below Heiskanen) are in the right range for bridge and longterm contracts for Hughes.

Reactions: bh53

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
That isn’t necessarily true. By them having the same agent Benning can’t really play both player agents against one another to create urgency to get a deal done. Plus, I doubt Pettersson decided to switch agents to do the Canucks any kind of favour.

It could also tie the negotiations together a bit, into a single negotiation, which could deplete the Canucks leverage a bit as well.

I’ll wait to see the results, and hopefully I’ll eat crow, but I think these two having the same agent and same RFA year is not a good thing for the Canucks.

Do you honestly think that if there was a generous offer on the table for one player, JP Barry would advise the player not to accept so that the other player could get a better deal?

It's important to remember that the agent ultimately represents and acts on the players instructions, and the agent owes an obligation to each player independently to work to maximize their earnings.

The Canucks freed up cap space to sign both Pettersson and Hughes longterm - if the team can accomplish this at a reasonable number ($16m combined, with 8 years for both would be a dream), that's a win for the team.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

What are your predictions for the contract values?

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Do you think either Hughes or EP signs for less than 7.26?
There's a good chance Hughes signs for less than $7.26m, though i think that number might make sense if 8 years is what we're discussing.

Reactions: JAK

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Your two funny, thinking Pearson is the reason. We have 20 million of cap once Ferland is LTIR and players are sent to Abby.
As for Myers who replaces him? The grass isn't always greener.
No. It ain’t. But it is however always greener than a bad $6,000,000 deal with term, save for acquiring a worse contract.

To be specific, yes, I would prefer the Canucks’ right side d as Poolman/Schenn/whoever (and six mill off the books) Vs Poolman/Schenn/Myers

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

Ninjadude

Oct 25, 2018
As with all the contracts Benning has given out, he is very generous and I expect it will more than what we all expect.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
“Oh well hey Elias, I guess you’re gonna wanna make like a lot of money and stuff. We really wanna help you out here but ya know the cap is tight and stuff, ya know, and like we really wanna, ya know, value you and stuff but sometimes a line needs to be drawn, you know, and covid and stuff you know…”

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I'm not sure any player is going to look at the Canucks with $7M in dead cap space and a #4/5 defenseman making $7.26M until 2027 and think "hey, maybe I'll gamble away $24M on my next contract on the chance that this management group is going to meaningfully improve the team with that money". More likely they'd just use those savings to overpay some veteran or buy out a past mistake.

Well if that's their mindset then no chance they sign a long-term contract. Would make no sense to have zero confidence in the direction of the team only to sign away the majority of your career to it.

Likewise, if they want to sign long-term AND be competitive, makes no sense to tighten the screws to extract every last dollar.

We will get a good idea of where there minds are at once they sign their contracts.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Do you think either Hughes or EP signs for less than 7.26?

There is also Dickinson going for arbitration it's funny the player we recently traded for might not even play with us.

At this point I think it would have better to actually not sign Garland yet since he's a RFA and can wait, focus efforts on locking up Petey and Quinn then proceed with the support casts such as Garland, Dickinson, to an extent Poolman I do understand Poolman was different since he had 12 other teams after him, meanwhile other teams can't touch our RFA's but yea. I think Benning once again, screwed up his priorities big time and now he might be in trouble. As of right now we don't have the cap room to sign both Petey and Quinn. We probably have room to sign Dickinson and one of Quinn and Petey.

This might be disaster in the making.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
What are your predictions for the contract values?

My prediction

EP, injuries issues is a concern. Bridge is optimal, but also possible to add 3 more years at $10.5m each.
$6.5m x 3 years. RFA age of 26.
$8.5m x 6 years. UFA age of 29.

QH, defense....shorter contract allows QH to prove himself for larger contract, and flexibility for Canucks as this would like up with Miller and Horvat's deal. Reminder, 10.2, QH has less ability to demand long term, no offer sheet leverage.
$5m x 2 years. RFA age of 24.
$5.5m x 3 years. RFA age of 25.

Reactions: alternate

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
There is also Dickinson going for arbitration it's funny the player we recently traded for might not even play with us.

At this point I think it would have better to actually not sign Garland yet since he's a RFA and can wait, focus efforts on locking up Petey and Quinn then proceed with the support casts such as Garland, Dickinson, to an extent Poolman I do understand Poolman was different since he had 12 other teams after him, meanwhile other teams can't touch our RFA's but yea. I think Benning once again, screwed up his priorities big time and now he might be in trouble. As of right now we don't have the cap room to sign both Petey and Quinn. We probably have room to sign Dickinson and one of Quinn and Petey.

Pure pessimistic speculation.

Why couldn't it be that the two players gave commitment to the team before free agency, wants to give the team flexibility to obtain pieces, and waiting on Dickinson's contract and seeing if there is an opportunity for moves?
Maybe both sides have agreed to sign a contract, just looking at the final numbers and terms and wants to see if they need to take a smaller AAV bridge incase something happens on the market?

They do not have to sign until before training camp, if all sides gave commitment to the team.

Reactions: David71

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

Garland was always the most likely to be offer sheeted, hence he was signed first

Reactions: JAK and F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Huh? Dickinson filing for arbitration all but guarantees that he would be signed for next season. The walkaway threshold is over $4.5M AAV and no way he gets that. If the Canucks don't trade him, Dickinson will be playing for the Canucks next season.

Reactions: deckercky

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Why couldn't it be that the two players gave commitment to the team before free agency, wants to give the team flexibility to obtain pieces

it could be. who knows. the pattern is that i noticed benning made a priority to Pearson which was kinda wierd since we had plenty of time after our shortened season to do that, but what he did was make signings such as Pearson, Poolman and now those 2 guys who should be priority is unsigned.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
it could be. who knows. the pattern is that i noticed benning made a priority to Pearson which was kinda wierd since we had plenty of time after our shortened season to do that, but what he did was make signings such as Pearson, Poolman and now those 2 guys who should be priority is unsigned.

It was either resign Pearson or trade him......

RD is one of the most important needs on thw team...... Market is dry on RHD.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Not even in the same ballpark mate. Peterson has good speed, but he’s not in the top echelon or anywhere close to McDavid.
I'm not saying he's as fast as McDavid, I'm just saying you're pretty fast if you're chosen to do the skating challenge in the All-Stars. That was my point with "competing with McDavid".

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Why would anyone want to fire him.

His track record of drafting Hughes and Pettersson is flawles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad