Elias Pettersson Milestone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

snu22fint

Jun 19, 2016
Not even joking Pettersson might be the most hyped guy on here since I joined. That includes guys claiming Laine would be scoring 100 goals a season and many more years before that. Just insane. He's 20 not 18. Yes it's been very impressive but comparing his rookie year to guys younger than him is unfair.

The shooting % will come down and in a few years they'll have their own 100 point guy who might pull a Kane and win some trophies. He will never be Greztky or McDavid (nevermind better than him) though, that is delusional

He is very hyped but part of that is because he is pretty much the best forward prospect from Sweden ever who really didn't get the recognition as the best prospect from Sweden. It's only now, after success in the NHL that he is being compared to the likes of Crosby, Forsberg, McDavid, Dats etc etc despite all the huges numbers that he put up in Allsvenskan and SHL. He is still not accepted as a near generaltional talent. People try to find holes in his games like his weight and now his unsustainable s% and other things. His numbers in Allsvenskan was near generational, his numbers in SHL was also near generational and now he is matching other generational/near generational players stats in his rookie season. And he was picked at nr 5, and the fans complained. How is that even possible? When McJesus entered the league he was already talked about enough for a whole career.

Reactions: EP40 and Nucky10

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
He is very hyped but part of that is because he is pretty much the best forward prospect from Sweden ever who really didn't get the recognition as the best prospect from Sweden. It's only now, after success in the NHL that he is being compared to the likes of Crosby, Forsberg, McDavid, Dats etc etc despite all the huges numbers that he put up in Allsvenskan and SHL. He is still not accepted as a near generaltional talent. People try to find holes in his games like his weight and now his unsustainable s% and other things. His numbers in Allsvenskan was near generational, his numbers in SHL was also near generational and now he is matching other generational/near generational players stats in his rookie season. And he was picked at nr 5, and the fans complained. How is that even possible? When McJesus entered the league he was already talked about enough for a whole career.

It was comical how people were trying to downplay the SHL on the prospect forums. I remember all of those posters.

Last edited:

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon

To be fair many avid Canuck fans were well aware of the numbers he was putting up in the SHL last year and many were claiming him already on pace to become elite.

This season isn't really a surprise to me when you see the numbers and who he compares to last year in the SHL.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
giphy.gif

Reactions: Cleatus

EliasP40

Feb 12, 2019
So what I’ve gathered from all this mess of a thread, Leafs fans are using shooting percentage to somehow downplay what he has accomplished so far, with Leaf Fans also saying he won’t sustain it because of whatever reason they may think of. They wouldn’t want to even have the thought that he might be better then AM34 so they use anything to bring him back down to earth. With every argument that there are too many EP threads, do you guys forget the main boards in the beginning of the season? A certain somebody had around maybe 5 threads and countless fans of a certain team saying stuff like AM34> CM97

What was AM34 shooting percentage then??

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Oh, Matthews? Yeah but he’s paid now like the SUPERSTAR that he is so winning one doesn’t matter!

If Matthews doesn't win one with Marner, Tavares, Rielly and Andersen not even mentioning the other high end players they have like Kadri, Nylander and Muzzin what do you think Pettersson is gonna win with the waiver wire rejects he's surrounded by?

Also LMAO @ thinking Pettersson will be making any less 2 years from now

EliasP40

Feb 12, 2019
If Matthews doesn't win one with Marner, Tavares, Rielly and Andersen not even mentioning the other high end players they have like Kadri, Nylander and Muzzin what do you think Pettersson is gonna win with the waiver wire rejects he's surrounded by?

Also LMAO @ thinking Pettersson will be making any less 2 years from now
Nucks will have a good team in 3 years, I’m sure he’ll be paid like he should though.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
You said he would have to shoot more to continue scoring goals at the pace he is. Which as you said "would then lead to less assists" thereby in theory dropping his point total. No?

Just trying to figure out your logic here.
I said

If he was to shoot 16.6% instead of 26.6% and keep 25 goals thatd mean he shot more than he has - if he was shooting more than he has that usually means he's shooting from a position of some level of chance to score, which means he is passing up on the equivalent chances to pass that he's now taken to shoot (to make up the 10% difference).

So yes, he'd have however many assists less that comes out to if he was shooting 16.6% as it would suggest he chose to shoot instead of pass x amount of times (his extra shots)

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Today at the grocery store the check out girl asked me if I’d like to pay with cash or credit.

I replied “Pettersson” and she just rolled her eyes.

I was like - whatever. You obviously don’t get it and will regret not singing this boys praises from the very start.
Ghetto ganstas in NYC be all 'bout gettin' them Pettersons. True story.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I said

If he was to shoot 16.6% instead of 26.6% and keep 25 goals thatd mean he shot more than he has - if he was shooting more than he has that usually means he's shooting from a position of some level of chance to score, which means he is passing up on the equivalent chances to pass that he's now taken to shoot (to make up the 10% difference).

So yes, he'd have however many assists less that comes out to if he was shooting 16.6% as it would suggest he chose to shoot instead of pass x amount of times (his extra shots)
Quite frankly I am saddened you didnt do your homework going through which of his goals you feel are lucky.

But this is juat amazeballs.

I think you could make a bit of money here betting against the pro-Pettersons. So why not lay your money down?

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I said

Okay so yes his assists & point totals would drop? Thats what I get out of your last bit there. I think this theory is too much of a '1 size fits all' formula.

I don't think he'll shoot 27% the rest of the season (probably around 20-24% if I were to bet) let alone the rest of his career, but I don't think that takes away from him in the slightest. And I do think he'll be a better than average shooter especially so in his prime.

The problem for me is, Pettersson is a more intelligent hockey player than the vast majority of players in the league. That's why everyone is so crazy about him. That, coupled with the fact he absolutely burns to improve, is why people go over the top on what his ceiling could be. Not that I always agree, but I get it.

Basically; These SH% arguments trying to detract from/judge EP are short-sighted IMO.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Okay so yes his assists & point totals would drop? Thats what I get out of your last bit there. I think this theory is too much of a '1 size fits all' formula.

I don't think he'll shoot 27% the rest of the season (probably around 20-24% if I were to bet) let alone the rest of his career, but I don't think that takes away from him in the slightest. And I do think he'll be a better than average shooter especially so in his prime.

The problem for me is, Pettersson is a more intelligent hockey player than the vast majority of players in the league. That's why everyone is so crazy about him. That, coupled with the fact he absolutely burns to improve, is why people go over the top on what his ceiling could be. Not that I always agree, but I get it.

Basically; These SH% arguments trying to detract from/judge EP are short-sighted IMO.
Why are you getting sucked into his abysmal arguments?

The only reason he and some others are even talking about sh% is because they dont beleive Petterson is 40 goals scorers plus 50-60 assist kind of guy.

Only someone with rocks in their head watches Petterson play and think that.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Ahhh I love some ad hominem replies when they have nothing to counter the argument.

How you feel about Pettersson, it how everyone else feels about pretty much every half decent player that's come out of Toronto in years.

I remember having to go on an ignore thread/poster spree just because of Nazim frickin' Kadri FFS.

I recommend you do the same, because otherwise you just the blackest of kettles

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
This guy is just so awesome.

I still lol at seeing him drop to 5. Good job Canucks.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Why are you getting sucked into his abysmal arguments?

The only reason he and some others are even talking about sh% is because they dont beleive Petterson is 40 goals scorers plus 50-60 assist kind of guy.

Only someone with rocks in their head watches Petterson play and think that.

I've seen alot of this stuff before, so for me its an overall response to these silly narratives in almost every EP thread. I just saw that comment and ran with it.

I agree with you. I also think its partly b/c they haven't seen him enough to realize how much more advanced his intelligence is compared the average player.

I always come back to the fact he only played 7-8 games of center last year & is already excelling in the NHL as if he's never played the wing in his life.

Last edited:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Not even joking Pettersson might be the most hyped guy on here since I joined. That includes guys claiming Laine would be scoring 100 goals a season and many more years before that. Just insane. He's 20 not 18. Yes it's been very impressive but comparing his rookie year to guys younger than him is unfair.

The shooting % will come down and in a few years they'll have their own 100 point guy who might pull a Kane and win some trophies. He will never be Greztky or McDavid (nevermind better than him) though, that is delusional

How many people truly believe Pettersson will be as good as McDavid let alone Wayne f***ign Gretzky? Maybe 5%? The fact that you think that's reflective of most Canucks/Pettersson fans is insane.

There's as many Canucks fans who think Pettersson = McDavid as their are Leafs fans who think Matthews = McDavid.

Reactions: Canucks5551

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Pettersson >>> a McDavid that swapped places with Matthews and played on a high tempo playoff leafs team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad