Proposal: Elias Pettersson for Jack Hughes & Taylor Hall

Who does the value favor?

• New Jersey Devils

• Vancouver Canucks

Results are only viewable after voting.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
so 1 elite player + 1 solid younger player with elite potential vs a young elite player

Depends how you value J.Hughes potential. I think Vancouver does it if they can have confirmation they sign Hall to a reasonable* contract. Otherwise, I would not want to lose EP for a still developing prospect and a to-be UFA.

*Read: No gross 12M for 8 years crap.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
No it doesn't, they will get something for him (player(s), draft pick(s)), you're saying like they won't trade him.

Yes and Vancouver on the other hand likely wouldn't trade Hall evening if they aren't making the playoffs (which would be likely after this trade) and would lose him for nothing in the summer.

Also as Hall seems determined to test the UFA market that means it likely isn't going to be a massive return, more the standard late 1st + b prospect + something top rentals usually get. Makes a trade look good on paper but if you're talking about your top franchise player it's not really worth downgrading. And that's where the real complicated part is, Hughes is a just drafted 1st overall 18 year old NHL player while Pettersson is 2.5 years older sophomore. So how will Hughes stack up in 2 years?

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Im talking VALUE wise this favours Vancouver. I ain’t ever think any trade that gets discussed on HF will actually go through. I look at the trade at face value.
I think Hughes and Pettersson are a wash in terms of value right now, then the Nucks also get a Hart trophy guy from 2018.

Cut and dry stuff really.
How are they comparable value? Petey is having putting up better numbers in his sophomore season than most of the true elite players did at the same age\season. He also plays a complete game while Jack has been underwhelming and is clearly struggling to adapt to the size and strength right now. At this point Petey is more valuable. Hall is not having a great season and isn't lighting it up with NJ with Hughes as a teammate so not sure coming to the Nucks without a guy like Petey to play with improves his numbers, nevermind the fact he's injury prone, a bit of a dick and his next contract may be an albatross, in 5 years. I hope Jack finds his game and I hope the devils screw over another team desperate to add a guy like Hall, just not my Nucks.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
I wouldn't as a Canucks fan. Hall is only going to be better than EP for another year or 2, but is going to sign a long and expensive contract this summer Hughes has potential, but has been pretty underwhelming as a rookie so far. No guarantee he is ever going to be close to as good as EP.
How is Hall better now? Petey has more goals, more points, plays the most important position in Hockey and is what 6 years younger? Petey also plays a better D game and doesn't have the injury history. I like Hall and think he and Petey would be a great duo, but I'm not moving him for anyone other than 3 or 4 players in the league right now. Even than id be weary, since he's so young and already has shown the ability to change his style as teams make adjustments. No sophomore slump tells a lot about the IQ he has, he is smothered literally every time he's on the ice but still manages to be a threat. If you watch him every game he does something that just has you going like wtf? He also draws a ton of penalties, some say he's a diver which is crap, sure he gives the ref the death stare but it's usually justified and they usually make the call so he's prolly justified in doing so.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Right now, i would say that Pettersson as a second year NHLer is showing Elite play, top 10 scoring and potential to be even better (top 5 scoring)

Hughes is doing very well for his age but is he doing amazing for a 1st overall rookie? I'd say his play is slightly disappointing when held to that standard

To me, Pettersson is a sure thing.. he's proving it right now. Hughes is NOT a sure thing and i dont think his high-end potential is that much greater than what Pettersson is now, its definitely not enough to gamble giving up a sure thing like Pettersson.

Hall to me doesn't bring much value to the Canucks because he's not going to be able to resign... no cap space. Another team might value Hall at being worth a 1st and a decent prospect... to the Canucks, he's not worth that. His value is subjective but Pettersson and Hughes is less subjective

the trade favors NDJ

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Easily New Jersey...Hughes will be better than Pettersson once he gets bigger.
You act like Petey has reached his peak at 21. Size wise Petey prolly ends up like Hank or Dank who were 215 at their peak, but they didn't have a nasty streak he does. I know it sounds funny but Petey is kind of a dick when he gets pissed off and on a couple of occasions he has reacted to a cheap shot with his own justice. I love Hughes but Petey has like 3 inches and will end up being the stronger of the 2 so your point kind of speaks to both of them, which kind of makes it moot, unless you think Jack is way more talented which I don't.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
You act like Petey has reached his peak at 21. Size wise Petey prolly ends up like Hank or Dank who were 215 at their peak, but they didn't have a nasty streak he does. I know it sounds funny but Petey is kind of a dick when he gets pissed off and on a couple of occasions he has reacted to a cheap shot with his own justice. I love Hughes but Petey has like 3 inches and will end up being the stronger of the 2 so your point kind of speaks to both of them, which kind of makes it moot, unless you think Jack is way more talented which I don't.

Is Pettersson’s nickname Petey by any chance?

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Pettersson couldn't make the NHL as an 18 year old. Hughes is already ahead of EP's development curve.

Or, bear with me here VAN knew that throwing EP into a tire fire wasn't gonna be the best thing for his development. So he tore up the Swedish league, came over one year later, won the calder and is now 11th in the league in scoring. But yes I'm sure there's no way he could have produced at a 37 point pace at 18 years old.

Reactions: flying v 604

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
VAN won't be able to afford Hall's next contract so this pretty much boils down to Pettersson for Hughes. There's five players in the NHL I'd consider dealing Petey for right now and Jack Hughes isn't even close to that list. He has a very good chance to be a very good hockey player. But Pettersson already is a superstar. Why trade EP for someone they hope to be as good as him?

Reactions: Kreator

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Honestly? If Hall was signed for a decent hit, I would think about it.
Interesting proposal, EP40 is a stud

Reactions: EdJovanovski

OviGreat8

Dec 5, 2019
Bel Air, MD
There is absolutely no way that Vancouver would take that trade. First off Hall is a rent a player so the trade would be a top young Center in Elias Pettersson for a guy who is working on getting his feet wet in the NHL Jack Hughes. No way would the Canucks give up there future leader for that.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
This thread is a joke. I would never do this as a devils fan.

Jack Hughes is almost 3 years younger than Pettersson lol
Sound logic I’ll give you a 7th rounder in the year 2050 for Hughes. That year 2050 pick will be playing while Hughes is retired!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad