Proposal: Elias Pettersson for Jack Hughes & Taylor Hall

Who does the value favor?

• New Jersey Devils

• Vancouver Canucks

Results are only viewable after voting.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Elliot friedman was talking about Pettersson and Makar setting another round of benchmarks for RFA's as soon as this off-season for forward and defense.

Is NJ from a business standpoint even willing to pay a Pettersson salary?

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
NJ is losing Hall, so the value favours NJ.

Its crazy to say a player like Hall isn't a factor, but when your talking about trading young franchise players having him for the rest of the year really doesn't matter.

If the Canucks had Hall on a reasonable contract extension, then its really tough. I think Pettersson is significantly better than Hughes (& moving forward probably Hall too).

Reactions: abo9

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Value is actually pretty good but Vancouver says no as Hall is soon to be paid huge into his mid 30's and Hughes is still just a ticket. Pettersson is a 1C and young getting better. I'd just wait and sign Hall as a UFA if we had cap space which we don't next season. Canucks pass and really Devils should sell Hall alone and keep Hughes.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Probably a trade both teams turn down.

I think it is worth mentioning that 1st overall picks don't always develop into elite players. In a 10 year span, from 2005 - 2014 (decent sample size and far enough back to understand how players panned out), we have had Erik Johnson, RNH, Ekblad (currently but subject to change), and Yakupov. So a 30% chance of getting a solid, but not elite player and 10% chance of drafting a bust. I'm not knocking on Hughes at all - kid looks great from what I've seen - just pointing out basic stats to assess the trade.

I think I'd rather keep Pettersson as he already looks like a ~90 point player in his sophomore season. Once he fills out more and potentially gets better linemates (Podkolzin), I could see him as a 100+ point player - that's exactly what I'm hoping Hughes becomes. Taylor Hall is the real wildcard here as we don't know if he'd re-sign or if Canucks could fit them both under the cap. His age and physical play style aren't very attractive to a team that is still rebuilding.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
NJ is losing Hall, so the value favours NJ.

Its crazy to say a player like Hall isn't a factor, but when your talking about trading young franchise players having him for the rest of the year really doesn't matter.

If the Canucks had Hall on a reasonable contract extension, then its really tough. I think Pettersson is significantly better than Hughes (& moving forward probably Hall too).

No it doesn't, they will get something for him (player(s), draft pick(s)), you're saying like they won't trade him.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You just dont trade players like Petterson when they are 20 years old. Plus Halls contract and his injury history are terrifying to me. I dont think Jack Hughes ever gets to Pettersons level.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
No doubt in my mind this favours Vancouver. People really be playing off Hall as a terrible player.

No one is writing Hall off. The issue is can or would Hall re-sign in Vancouver?

Are you really going to trade away your young elite/franchise center for half a season of Hall, in a year where Van is not a cup favorite, go all in type of team? Maybe you would, but that seems a bit risky don't you think?

Its why the debate is mainly focused on Hughes vs Pettersson, because IF Hall leaves, and that seems likely, that's who Van would be left with, and if you are someone that does not think Hughes will reach the same level as Pettersson, than there is no reason to do this trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad