Who does the value favor?

• New Jersey Devils

• Vancouver Canucks

Results are only viewable after voting.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So the approach is the value gap between Pettersson (21) vs Hughes (18) is worth a pending UFA in Hall? Devils say no.

Pettersson = Hughes * Edge to Pettersson due to age/production but that edge will disappear fast in a year or two. I don't see the gap in value being worth Hall as a pending UFA and the 1st crack at re-signing him.

Canucks add a 2020 2nd and with conditions. It becomes a 2021 1st if Hall re-signs? That might bridge the gap in value but still not sure either team does this.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
No one is writing Hall off. The issue is can or would Hall re-sign in Vancouver?

Are you really going to trade away your young elite/franchise center for half a season of Hall, in a year where Van is not a cup favorite, go all in type of team? Maybe you would, but that seems a bit risky don't you think?

Its why the debate is mainly focused on Hughes vs Pettersson, because IF Hall leaves, and that seems likely, that's who Van would be left with, and if you are someone that does not think Hughes will reach the same level as Pettersson, than there is no reason to do this trade.
Im talking VALUE wise this favours Vancouver. I ain’t ever think any trade that gets discussed on HF will actually go through. I look at the trade at face value.
I think Hughes and Pettersson are a wash in terms of value right now, then the Nucks also get a Hart trophy guy from 2018.

Cut and dry stuff really.

Reactions: abo9

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Elliot friedman was talking about Pettersson and Makar setting another round of benchmarks for RFA's as soon as this off-season for forward and defense.

Is NJ from a business standpoint even willing to pay a Pettersson salary?

Josh Harris is worth $3.5 billion by himself as half owner. David Blitzer has a similar net worth.

Pretty easy to look that up before showing ignorance.

Reactions: Morrison

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It's a bird in hand vs. two in the bush. It might turn out ok for Vancouver - if Hughes fulfills his potential and they can capitalize on marketing the bros and all. Plus they have to flip Hall and tally what they get in return for him. Assume they get at least a 1st and a good prospect. So that is 3 strong futures pieces. Total gamble. Stakes are too high in the modern NHL for teams to gamble like that. Canucks are hanging onto a playoff spot so far and this would likely drop them back. The team wants that playoff gate and the indication of progress it represents.

Devils should have some idea what packages they are getting offered for Hall by now. They're already out and might be in for a couple more years building. They can afford to wait on Hughes. And hope to get some D or G maybe in the Hall trade. I think they'll be better off saying no also.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Elliot friedman was talking about Pettersson and Makar setting another round of benchmarks for RFA's as soon as this off-season for forward and defense.

Is NJ from a business standpoint even willing to pay a Pettersson salary?

what the hell? You do know that they pay PK Subban $9 million right?

Reactions: Morrison

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
VAN easily wins this deal.

Unites the brothers. There is no reason to keep Hall and flipped for another crop of prospects.

Lumpy Grits

Sep 30, 2019
All depends on if these last 20 games have reduced your opinion of Hughes and increased your opinion of Pettersson.

I think preseason everyone jumps on Hughes.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Vancouver says no without a Hall extension. Petersson is a hart caliber player. J Hughes, while still very early, does not look like any of McDavid, Eichel, MacKinnon, Barzal, etc.. He looks more like Hishier, Patrick, Nuge, and do I dare say Yakupov.

I get the appeal of getting the brothers together, but Petersson is that good and unless Hall signs for 8x$10 during the trade, nope.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
And that seems to be working out very well.......

Whether its working out well or not has nothing to do with thats his salary and the Devils can pay anyone anything they want.

These insinuations that they don't have any money are baseless and nonsensical.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
LOL @ Hfboards posters still grossly underrating Elias Pettersson/Canucks prospects. I remember many ppl saying they'd rather have Jesperi Kotkaniemi to build around, and that Jack Hughes would immediately, right out of the gate, be better than Pettersson. Hughes should've been in college this year imo, maybe even two. Also, how's Jesperi doing right now?

And NO, the Canucks don't want to trade for 4+months of Taylor Hall & the ability to negotiate another Jamie Benn-esque contract where a player is paid big money long term, and past prime years. Jack Hughes is still a question mark in terms of upside. Do I think he can be a 1st-line center some day? Probably. Will he be as good, or better than Pettersson? I don't think anyone can confidently say, Yes (until he produces more). What I do know is that Pettersson had a record breaking SHL season in his D+1 year, was an All-star/Calder trophy winner last year, and has consistently been around the top-10 in scoring so far this season. For a player in his D+3 year, he's as high of a known commodity that a D+3 player could be aside from generational talents like Sidney Crosby & Connor McDavid, but in line w/ many franchise players in their D+3 years.

Last edited:

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
This thread is a joke. I would never do this as a devils fan.

Jack Hughes is almost 3 years younger than Pettersson lol

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Pettersson couldn't make the NHL as an 18 year old. Hughes is already ahead of EP's development curve.

Just b/c Jack Hughes is being rushed into the NHL, doesn't mean he's ahead of Elias Pettersson's development curve: J. Hughes is on pace for 37 points btw (his own brother, a defenseman, is on pace for 67pts). For those that believe he's a generational talent, how does that compare to Sidney Crosby & Connor McDavid's rookie seasons? For those that feel he's a franchise talent, how does it compare to Auston Matthews, Nathan MacKinnon, Patrick Kane, Alex Ovechkin etc's rookie seasons (his peers as former #1 picks, all currently in the top-15 in NHL scoring where Pettersson happens to be in right now)?

The Devils should do right by Hughes and let him develop outside of the NHL the rest of the year; the SHL could actually be a good spot for him. If he can replicate what Pettersson did there, then I'll believe the hype.

Reactions: 42

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
This is ridiculously lop sided win for NJ, they get a 20 year old #1C who's almost certainly only going to get better than his already elite level in exchange for a talented mystery box and a guy who is going to decline soon(and already is if we're being honest) who needs a massive extension

Reactions: gianni

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Id do it if the Devils add their unconditional 2020 1st and Butcher

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I wouldn't as a Canucks fan. Hall is only going to be better than EP for another year or 2, but is going to sign a long and expensive contract this summer Hughes has potential, but has been pretty underwhelming as a rookie so far. No guarantee he is ever going to be close to as good as EP.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
I wouldn't as a Canucks fan. Hall is only going to be better than EP for another year or 2, but is going to sign a long and expensive contract this summer Hughes has potential, but has been pretty underwhelming as a rookie so far. No guarantee he is ever going to be close to as good as EP.

Hall isn't better than EP now, never mind in another year or two

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad