Seravalli: Elias Pettersson Extension: Progress being made?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
That's not unreasonable given the contract covers age 25 to 33 when its done.
Pastrnak is at $11.25 mill aav from age 27 to 35. I'd bet that ages 25, 26 for Petey are better offensively than Pasta at 33, 34, thus a higher AAV does seem logical.

I am thinking he will get 12.8 which I view as an overpayment in the Marner tier. An elite player and you don't mind overpaying a bit to keep them but also it's not a great contract

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I am thinking he will get 12.8 which I view as an overpayment in the Marner tier. An elite player and you don't mind overpaying a bit to keep them but also it's not a great contract
Have to take care of your top guys first, then figure out the rest. Vs how the Canucks operated under Benning and give big money to the bottom first.

It costs what it costs. I mean, these are going to be premium years from Petey if its the max term from 25 to 33. So, have no issues with it being high. Petey knows the expectations that come with a big number, especially in a hockey market. This is the price you pay to get 8 more years at a premium level.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
They are going to massively overpay based on 15 games, the team will regress to the mean and people will lose their minds like what happened with JT Miller

Firstly, what's with the JT Miller reference? That contract is currently a discount... The guy has been top-10 in scoring league wide since joining the Canucks, and we signed him for 8mil per year.

I don't think Marner's contract would have seemed as bad if the salary cap kept climbing, but because it didn't because it was signed at the worst possible time, it has an ugly stigma around it. But yes, signing Pettersson for 11.71mil would actually be the same salary cap percentage as Marner.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
They are going to massively overpay based on 15 games, the team will regress to the mean and people will lose their minds like what happened with JT Miller
JT Miller has been f***ing ridiculous that is worth like 11 million with the way he’s playing

And Ep40 put over 100 points last year.

My goodness

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Matthews set the trend. I think you are going to see four-year contracts from most all-stars coming up for renewal. The players want to time their next contract to when they are in their primes and when the cap is significantly higher.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
If he is smart and wants to win. It's $11 million x 8 years

If he is smart and wants to get paid. It is $13 million x 5 years

I figure it's $11.5 million between 6-8 years. Leaving $ in the table to ensure they can retain Hughes and Demko but also offer Nylander $ when he wants to leave that front line heavy tire fire of Edmonton East

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Like JT Miller’s contract, it will be a steal
a steal*

* = (for now)

when saying a contract is a steal that usually means, to me anyway, its below market value for the entirety

so will he be worth 8m when hes 35? eh, probably not.. however it could be due to the cap rising!

well see how things so but for right now Miller has been terrific and is easily worth 8 (which, when Horvat makes 8.5, its an easy choice)

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
a steal*

* = (for now)

when saying a contract is a steal that usually means, to me anyway, its below market value for the entirety

so will he be worth 8m when hes 35? eh, probably not.. however it could be due to the cap rising!

well see how things so but for right now Miller has been terrific and is easily worth 8 (which, when Horvat makes 8.5, its an easy choice)
It’s worth more than $8m now, that is clear, probably close to $10m in terms of what he has produced so far (it’s early), yes the term might not age at the end, but if it’s averaged out I bet it ends up being a great deal. The cap will go up, and his contract will get closer to being in line with what it should be. I’m hoping it’s only the last year that is unfortunate, but it might be 2.

Last edited:

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
It’s worth more than $8m now, that is clear, probably close to $10m in terms of what he has produced so far (it’s early), yes the term might not age at the end, but if it’s averaged out I bet it ends up being a great deal. The cap will go up, and he will get closer to being in line it hat he should be. I’m hoping it’s only the last year that is unfortunate, but it might be 2.
could creep up a bit earlier than expected due to how physical Miller can be

id guess year 5 you get a noticeable decline with years 6+7 being a net negative; though at that point a retained Miller at 4m (or even 2m with a third team involved) could see value

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad