Seravalli: Elias Pettersson Extension: Progress being made?

dellzor

Bo Horvat's Head
Nov 21, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Bingo. He will be the league's highest paid player when he signs his new contract.
He won't. Dhali (probably Canucks' #1 insider) has already stated that it will either be high 11s or at 12. Plus, they said they won't offer him Matthews money because he hasn't scored 50 goals.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
OK, 2nd highest. I forgot that Matthews' new contract has higher AAV than McDavid's.
MacK’s is as well. Personally I think EP’s contract will end up being slightly less than $12.5AAV but will be 4/5 years in length. I don’t think he’ll want the 7/8 year deal but rather one that brings him to UFA at 29/30 years old. If he does go 7/8 years, absolutely it will be close to AM’s.

Reactions: Seanaconda

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
Not everyone is St. Patrice 🫢
Unfortunately St. Patrick didn't win shit over the life of his big (bargain) contract in large part because the Bruins took what they saved on him, Marchand etc. and gave it to duds like Beleskey, Oshie, Forbort and Smith. There's absolutely no reason for Petersson to expect a hometown discount to play out any different in his case.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Unfortunately St. Patrick didn't win shit over the life of his big (bargain) contract in large part because the Bruins took what they saved on him, Marchand etc. and gave it to duds like Beleskey, Oshie, Forbort and Smith. There's absolutely no reason for Petersson to expect a hometown discount to play out any different in his case.
Lol who said the bargain was a guarantee to winning? You missed the irony in my post which is exactly what you’re eluding to. The saint and 63, to the extent they took team friendly deals, guaranteed nothing.l and they knew that. Petersson wont take an overly team friendly thinking it’ll automatically translate. He knows how hard it is to win.

Further, while we like to point to those contracts as bargains, it’s a slightly self serving argument…if you look back at when the deals were signed, they were not massively team friendly, market was in a very different place.

As to the “didn’t win shit” you’re barking up the wrong tree on those signings being THE reason. There are myriad reasons teams do or don’t win the cup. 2019 was a year the FO did exactly what it took to win the cup, the deadline deals were extraordinary.

Forbort and belesky were not on that 2019 team. Oshie , lol, guess I missed his tenure with the Bs. ??? The failure belonged to an outcoached coach, top players who didn’t come thru when it counted, a goalie who didn’t deliver some timely saves, and other issues.

Team friendly deals help. They don’t guarantee a thing. But they help. If a player wants to do that, he does so knowing there are no gaurantees.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Pettersson was always going to sign with the Canucks! He is a RFA, he has no choice.
It is the term that should/could be a concern.

He is locked up for 2 more years.

My guess it will be a 3 year 12+ million no clause contract. This might be what Pettersson signs.

I think the contract will also be one of the last done of those needing to be done. EP will want to see what management does how they handle the cap. Management will know what number they need to sign him but it is about term not whether he gets 14 million a season.

Everything about Elias seems to show he wants to win a cup or at least play for one and wants to see how the team sets up for that kind of competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mathews28

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Problem with giving home town discounts is , that a stupid Gm can waste it away on bad contracts(buyouts).

Hes not greedy but not stupid either!

Think he signs 3 years again to not risking bad management sinks the team. Then he has a big contract left to sign at 29(ufa).

Reactions: theguardianII

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
thats a rather irrational prediction
robert-de-niro-you.gif

Reactions: ratbid

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
I'd love it to be a max length real but I can see why he'd want to keep the term short. Maybe he signs a 3 year deal so his contract aligns with Hughes'. Gives the team a 3 year window and then everyone assesses things at that point. Miller will be around for awhile but Boeser's contract ends after next season (I mention him because of this is who he is moving forward then that's just another bargain contract the team needs to take advantage of).

We've got a couple years here to go for it and management knows it. Look for a Pettersson extension and some trades to improve the roster at some point after that (long before the deadline I'm betting).

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I'd love it to be a max length real but I can see why he'd want to keep the term short. Maybe he signs a 3 year deal so his contract aligns with Hughes'. Gives the team a 3 year window and then everyone assesses things at that point. Miller will be around for awhile but Boeser's contract ends after next season (I mention him because of this is who he is moving forward then that's just another bargain contract the team needs to take advantage of).

We've got a couple years here to go for it and management knows it. Look for a Pettersson extension and some trades to improve the roster at some point after that (long before the deadline I'm betting).
how can you call the boeser contract a bargain after last season's performance?

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
i think he does a 4 year deal
I think it’s 4 years as well, just shy of $12m

how can you call the boeser contract a bargain after last season's performance?
Because it is, last season he struggled to deal with his fathers death, was distracted, and was being shopped around. This year he is focused and he is back on track. His averages have been strong and like his rookie year, he’s back to playing hard and shooting well.

Reactions: Bgav

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5