Seravalli: Elias Pettersson Extension: Progress being made?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
"Hopefully we'll get it done before there's any talk of him scoring the most points and us having to pay even more. "

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I think Petey goes for something like the Matthews contract. He's a smart kid who understands the big picture, which is basically: With Hughes up in 4 and Demko up in 3, this Canucks window (if it even has one) is likely the next 4 years. He's also extremely motivated by winning. A mid-term deal would keep the AAV down while freeing up Petey to leave if things go south. Something like a 4 year deal with an 10.5 mil AAV would make him 29 when it expires, plenty of time to go cup hunting. Also it would allow him to sign one more mega deal and give the Canucks an extra 1-2 mil cap space over what he'd be looking for on a max term deal.

Very risk for Petey since he could get injured, but he loves to bet on himself. He did it when he signed the bridge and he did it by going into this offseason with no extension.
He's more valuable now than he will be at 29 if he follows most player trajectories. Especially after a bridge deal, I bet he wants his 8 year deal now. 8 x 12 is my guess

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Matthews is making just shy of 16% of the cap. If Pettersson's agent is smart he pushes for roughly the same percentage but based on next years assumed cap. 16% of $87.5m puts him around $14m
I believe the team will use JT Miller's contract as a comparable and a reference point. Granted Miller's tapers off due to his age, but they won't want to have Petey making nearly double Miller's salary for 10-15% more production. For better or worse, Allvin will play hardball and I don't think they want Petey at $14M per. They will leverage every inch of the RFA status and sign him to a shorter deal if Petey is only looking to get paid, and let him walk afterwards or renegotiate after the cap goes up. If Petey wants the biggest payday, I doubt it will be in Vancouver and it is what it is.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I believe the team will use JT Miller's contract as a comparable and a reference point. Granted Miller's tapers off due to his age, but they won't want to have Petey making nearly double Miller's salary for 10-15% more production. For better or worse, Allvin will play hardball and I don't think they want Petey at $14M per. They will leverage every inch of the RFA status and sign him to a shorter deal if Petey is only looking to get paid, and let him walk afterwards or renegotiate after the cap goes up. If Petey wants the biggest payday, I doubt it will be in Vancouver and it is what it is.
Pettersson is in the upper echelon of players. McKinnon just signed fir 15.27%

Let's say Pettersson gooes for 13% of next year's cap (which I think is bare minimum) you're still looking g at close to $11.5m

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004

Nobody is playing hardball with Pettersson. The Canucks will match his comparables, which will still deliver excess value throughout his contract.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Why would you think that's not part of the negotiations?
I'm not assuming anything. In fact if I was his agent I'd insist the numbers be based on next years assumed cap of $87.5 m

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I'm not assuming anything. In fact if I was his agent I'd insist the numbers be based on next years assumed cap of $87.5 m
Of course, why would they care about past Caps. And i'm sure they'll account for a continually rising Cap.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Happy for our expansion bros, they deserve nice things. Our class is cursed.

Otherwise known as "negotiating in bad faith' that's how you lose great players.
that's not negotiating in bad faith, thats just negotiating.

i wouldn't recomend waiting for the canucks because at the beginning of the season it sounded like he was ready to walk

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
If he's smart he'd do 4 years at 10-12 mil.

keeps vancouver on their toes that he isn't locked up forever so they have to keep being competitive with no possible rebuild imminent. Also helps him make even more over his career earnings when the cap is a lot higher in 4 years.

Not sure why more players don't do the mathews contracts. Must be security because that is the only thing you get out of it.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Matthews is making just shy of 16% of the cap. If Pettersson's agent is smart he pushes for roughly the same percentage but based on next years assumed cap. 16% of $87.5m puts him around $14m
Matthews’ contract begins the same time an extension for Pettersson would begin so why are you basing Matthews % off this year’s cap and EP’s off next year’s? You don’t think the Auston Matthews’ extension was based off an extremely likely rising cap?

Reactions: canuckking1

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Sure. But not Mackinnon money. Barkov money.
If MacKinnon money is what it takes the Canucks should obviously do it in a heartbeat...and I highlight doubt they'd regret it...and they should probably be quite happy with it, actually. Not like they're finding anyone better. He established himself as a 100 point superstar last year and is on another tear this season.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Matthews’ contract begins the same time an extension for Pettersson would begin so why are you basing Matthews % off this year’s cap and EP’s off next year’s?
Matthews contract was signed in August, prior to knowing what next years cap could be. I don't see the motivation for Pettersson to sign "sooner rather than later" when he can get paid more for tge same percentage of the cap by waiting a few months. I'm making assumptions, just like everyone else on this thread. But if I'm his agent I ask for a percentage of the cap similar to what other top players are getting, and if you want him signed now you base it on $87m

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Matthews contract was signed in August, prior to knowing what next years cap could be.
It was well known that the cap would be increasing significantly in 24/25 and beyond if the back escrow wasn’t paid. There’s articles in June talking about $10-12M in increases over the next 3 seasons after 23/24. Matthews’ contract was definitely signed with the assumption that the cap would be on the climb as it was only a matter of the back escrow being paid off that would increase the cap by itself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad