Votes: 166 50.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Over Canucks have better linemates for him now and deeper top 6. Our defense is much better and the PP is deeper with Myers and Hughes now along with Miller. Not to mention Elias is year older and apparently stronger according to himself. I can see him breaking 80 easily if he remains healthy this coming season. He did 66 last year and had way less support and really slowed down as year went on. Hopefully his strength and conditioning is much improved and he can sustain the pace he started last year throughout season.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Do you always make bad takes? You said Kotkaniemi was a bad player in the last thread and now you’re saying Pettersson will get 50 points? He had 66 points in 71 games in his rookie year, why would he regress? SMH
Why is it a bad take? Because it doesn't agree with your opinion?

There won't be any majorly inflated SH%'s for Pettersson this year, you can full well expect regression.

I just don't buy into HFBoards hypetrains so readily, some folks got a little upset with me last year when I told them Barzal wasn't coming anywhere near 85 points again. Some folks around here would do themselves good practicing a bit of objectivity.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014

There won't be any majorly inflated SH%'s for Pettersson this year, you can full well expect regression.

I just don't buy into HFBoards hypetrains so readily, some folks got a little upset with me last year when I told them Barzal wasn't coming anywhere near 85 points again. Some folks around here would do themselves good practicing a bit of objectivity.
Watching him play would be a better way to assess this. He may not hit a PPG yet but the boy clearly can do and see things on the ice that only the truly elite can do and see.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019

Yeah I don't think that's "your opinion" I think you just dislike the Canucks because you are in every single thread about them or their players talking down. Its all good in Leaf land though right IPS the Panthers fan?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
More then Mathews book it :laugh:. Then again 41 other players did that this past season.
It’s pretty impressive Matthews was only outscored by only 41 players despite missing 14 games.

Back on topic - I think Elias will have similar ppg production with a slight increase. He’ll be better but he’ll be more targeted by teams. In another year I think he will make a more significant jump.

TomP24684

Je m’appelle Tom
May 18, 2019
I think the right number to use for an over under on him is 65 or 70, and seperate out canucks fans votes. The non canucks fans would be pretty split around that range.
You do know there are less fans saying Matthews isn’t one of the worst contracts in hockey, right? And you’re saying another fan base is biased?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Bookmarked this one. Barzal never comes close to 85 points again. Did you also predict the islanders would be the best defensive team in hockey? Probably not.

Its a bad take because anyone that understands hockey can identify Pettersons elite talent coupled with his production makes 50 to 60 points look moronic.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Its a bad take because anyone that understands hockey can identify Pettersons elite talent coupled with his production makes 50 to 60 points look moronic.

Pettersson had 12 points in his last 22 games of the season. His SH% came down, the league adjusted to him, and he came back down to earth. Happens all the time.

He is absolutely not the magical talent that everyone's making him out to be.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
I’d take the under, but barely. We saw him sort of taper off towards the end of the year after that wicked start, now with a full summer of NHL training under his belt, he should be better able to withstand the full season rigors. However the threat of the sophomore slump is real and we’ve seen it happen to others before (I.e. Barzal recently). I wouldn’t be surprised if Elias ends up over 80 with the help of a few hot stretches throughout the season, but for right now I think somewhere between 75-78 is a reasonable number.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Pettersson had 12 points in his last 22 games of the season. His SH% came down, the league adjusted to him, and he came back down to earth. Happens all the time.

I agree, but hes also a pretty good yiung player. Canucks fans may be disappointed next year but long term not so much. He may not be a 100 point player but i can see him being a ppg player most years.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Hes a 66 point player. More fair to have the over/ under be 66 points. 2 seasons he failed to crack 67 points. 1st year 0 points no games in the NHL, second year 66 points. Matthews was a 69 point player before becoming a 73 point one in his 3rd year. Will be interesting to see if Petterson can crack 67 points or will fall short again.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Bookmarked this one. Barzal never comes close to 85 points again. Did you also predict the islanders would be the best defensive team in hockey? Probably not.

He is a 66 point player in the same vein Matthews was a 69 point player( and now a 73 point player). Never cracked 67 points yet people are projecting above 80. He will always be a 66 point player until he outprodcues that point total. Holding him to the same standard Matthews is being held in

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

You wouldnt know a good player if wayne gretzky played on your own line.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Hes a 66 point player. More fair to have the over/ under be 66 points. 2 seasons he failed to crack 67 points. 1st year 0 points no games in the NHL, second year 66 points. Matthews was a 69 point player before becoming a 73 point one in his 3rd year. Will be interesting to see if Petterson can crack 67 points or will fall short again.
You actually just wrote '2 seasons he failed to crack 67 points'. He has only played in the league for 1 year.... This is unbelievable stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad