Votes: 166 50.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Hes a 66 point player. More fair to have the over/ under be 66 points. 2 seasons he failed to crack 67 points. 1st year 0 points no games in the NHL, second year 66 points. Matthews was a 69 point player before becoming a 73 point one in his 3rd year. Will be interesting to see if Petterson can crack 67 points or will fall short again.

Congratulations on beating IBS for the worst logic in this thread

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
PPG is a better poll since Pettersson can get injured again unless he bulks up a tad. Nonetheless I picked over 80 as I see Pettersson with an over 1 PPG.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
What an embarrassing argument.
Same argument used against lots of players. The whole point is that judging a player based on their career high in point total alone and saying they are only a "xx" point player is a embarrassing argument. Canuck fans were earlier saying pettersson would outscore Matthews like 41 other players did last year. They were blatantly trolling with a dumb argument which applies to petterson as well as he "only" had 66 points last year and has never topped that(with 41+ scorers out pointing him).

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Lol holding not being in the NHL after a player was drafted to whether they will be good or not.

It’s mind numbing that people don’t understand that development isn’t linear.

I’m an Oilers fan.

I truly hope EP breaks 80 points just because how f***ing stupid this argument is.

EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

May 9, 2013
Pettersson had 12 points in his last 22 games of the season. His SH% came down, the league adjusted to him, and he came back down to earth. Happens all the time.

He is absolutely not the magical talent that everyone's making him out to be.

He also, by his own accounts, struggled with energy at the end of season. If he can play more games and be fitter this year, he might just reach 80.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
PPG. He looks bigger this year than last, has better linemates, and will be better prepared. This time last year it was likely he was going to make the team out of camp, but questionable if he would be a C or W. No question marks going into this season.

Anyone who watches hockey and understands the game can see this kid is a special talent. Hate on the Canucks all you want, but enjoy watching this guy play. He is every bit as good he is sold to be. Last years rookie crop was outstanding with Binningtin, Heiskanen, Dahlen, yet EP ran away with the Calder. Love all the "over rated, 60 point" comments please come back in April and re read.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Under by a bit. He was propped up majorly by his unsustainable shooting percentage. Can't deny his talent, but I don't see him hitting over 80. I can see 75 points very realistically though, especially with the Canucks looking to be improved.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
This is absolutely false. Players dont all develop on an identical linear line. Players that are drafted the same year can have different birth years. Ugh no point in this discussion anymore. We get it you're a leaf fan you dont like any Canuck right now because Boeser is beating Nylander in a poll. You dont want to have a logical and productive discussion.

No matter how much you argue illogical points to make yourself feel better it wont change the players talent level or future in hockey that you are discussing. There is no value in this argument.

I have no problem in boesor beating Nylander, I think he is a better player than Willy. I have no problem in Pettersson being highly regarded league-wide, he is a gem of a player. My only issue was the need to crap on Matthews in a thread regarding a team that does not have any real rivalry with the leafs. Obviously I used childish arguments in regards to Pettersson (similar to how people have been going on about Matthews and using the number 69 as the be-all indicator of his talent before he broke that total). Pettersson is a great player and a guy who looks positioned to be an elite player for the next decade. People need to stop bringing up Matthews in every young stars thread. Whether it be leaf fans or in this instance canuck fans. This thread was about Pettersson and should stay about him.

As for the poll I voted under as I think that he just missed the mark. He will become a better player, however. This year he had some unsustainable numbers and scored way too many goals based on his shot generation. I expect he generates and sets up more chances for his team and while his individual shooting % will go down I see him getting around 35 goals and 77 points. If league-wide scoring is up again than he can crack ppg

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Highly dependent on the pressure relief Horvat's line provides. 70-75 is a safe bet. He's put on a bit of mass so his shot might be slightly off for a while.

EDIT: It's always amusing to me to see people making scathing comments about entire fanbases, completely unaware as to how ignorant their own comments are.

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Highly dependent on the pressure relief Horvat's line provides. 70-75 is a safe bet. He's put on a bit of mass so his shot might be slightly off for a while.

I was reading through and wondering if this point would be made. Pettersson's best shot at reaching the "over" is if there are other serious offensive threats in the line-up. Otherwise, teams can just key in on him. I am a Canucks fan who voted "under", but I caveat that by saying I also wouldn't be shocked if he went 90+ if a few things came together (good team health, Q. Hughes delivers on the hype, etc.).

Looking forward to the season!

Reactions: Mathew Barzal

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Honestly, it all comes down to how good Miller mashes with Boeser and Pettersson. If he fits then i can see him breaking 80 points, if he doesn't i don't see it. If he fits then i can see him scoring fewer goals than last season but way more A's.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
How is it that you can’t go two posts in a thread about EP without someone mentioning his shooting percentage meanwhile nobody says a peep about Draisaitl, Point, or Hertl and people seem to think those those guys can repeat their production from last season.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Honestly, it all comes down to how good Miller mashes with Boeser and Pettersson. If he fits then i can see him breaking 80 points, if he doesn't i don't see it. If he fits then i can see him scoring fewer goals than last season but way more A's.

We'll see how the lines shake out after camp and preseason, but the assumption for now seem to be that Ferland will start there and Miller would play with Horvat

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
How is it that you can’t go two posts in a thread about EP without someone mentioning his shooting percentage meanwhile nobody says a peep about Draisaitl, Point, or Hertl and people seem to think those those guys can repeat their production from last season.

It gets brought up for Drai all the time. Not many expect him to repeat.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I give him about 75% chance of playing 80+ games. And maybe 40% of playing PPG, and I'm being generous.

That adds up to about 30% chance of hitting 80pts.

In truth, it's probably more like 20%.

I voted no.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
I give him about 75% chance of playing 80+ games. And maybe 40% of playing PPG, and I'm being generous.

That adds up to about 30% chance of hitting 80pts.

In truth, it's probably more like 20%.

I voted no.
You voted "no" on a poll without a "no" option? Also where are you pulling your percentages from?

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Watching him play would be a better way to assess this. He may not hit a PPG yet but the boy clearly can do and see things on the ice that only the truly elite can do and see.
The eye test is a really bad way to project future performance. Having the tools to be elite is only half the equation.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Around ppg, guess it mostly depends on how many games he play. Will say under simply because players that get injured early on tends to keep getting injured.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Around ppg, guess it mostly depends on how many games he play. Will say under simply because players that get injured early on tends to keep getting injured.

To be fair, he was injured on a freak accident, and on a dirty hit. It's not like his body is fragile.

Reactions: bh53
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->