Proposal: Elias Petterson

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
What if we would offer-sheet Pettersson for 1-year, 13M?

Same style like Kotkaniemi offer was. Vacouver does not have any chance to keep him. They'll take the picks. We'll then re-sign him a lot cheaper thanks to this first "front-loading year".
Like, he knows that we overpaid by 5M for this single year.

Then, with a mutual agreement, he'll take 1M less for the next 5 years on a long-term deal. He is kid of 8M valued player and would be signed for 7M.

So the whole picture would be 13+7+7+7+7+7 for 6 years. Two different deals, 1-year offer-sheet and 5-year extension.
So we could potentially have Pettersson for one season then lose 4 first round picks?

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I like the offer sheet idea.

$10M offer, and if they don't match it, they get 2 firsts, 2 seconds, 2 thirds.

Even if one of those first rounders ends up being first overall:

a) It never would have, had we kept it, because the league hates Detroit and rigs their bingo balls in favor of more lucrative markets, and

b) Who cares, if Petterson were in next year's draft he'd probably go first overall, or at least 2nd.

I think if we added Petterson but kept Larkin, this, along with the Leddy and Nedeljkovic acquisitions, and Seider and maybe a couple of the young forwards making the roster, would allow Detroit to compete for a playoff spot immediately.

A. No, its luck. If you argue Detroit doesn't have it, I'm on board. But that's conspiracy stuff...

B. Highly doubt it.

And, even with the additions, the team would be mediocre, and enter into Minnesota/Calgary territory.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
So we could potentially have Pettersson for one season then lose 4 first round picks?

Yep, that's exactly what would happen in that scenario. Because with that contract, he'd had a 13M qualifying offer and if you turned it down, he would be a UFA to sign anywhere. So, again, why on Earth does he choose to sign in a still rebuilding Detroit that's now a 1st round pick lighter for the next four years.

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Yep, that's exactly what would happen in that scenario. Because with that contract, he'd had a 13M qualifying offer and if you turned it down, he would be a UFA to sign anywhere. So, again, why on Earth does he choose to sign in a still rebuilding Detroit that's now a 1st round pick lighter for the next four years.
Yzerman would basically fire himself in this scenario lol. I love this board sometimes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad