Proposal: Elias Petterson

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't think we can offer that package, the HF token second instead of a first also isn't something real GMs go for.

But in any event Vancouver cannot afford that and then sign Hughes. The reason these negotiations are taking so long is Benning basically needs to bridge both guys now. Given what they have seen handed out in particular Hughes on the defensive market he has put himself in a tough spot. So offering them 12 million in contracts is a non-starter.

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Im not sure how someone can read those quotes and come to the conclusion that EP "wants to leave"

Canucks fan here.

When taking those comments in conjunction with other situations with Canucks players, some fans are arriving at that conclusion. According to scuttlebutt, players weren't happy with how last offseason went down and who Benning focused on/who he ignored. There are numerous weird situations with players (Holtby, Schmidt and Edler all reportedly wanted out. Holtby and Schmidt had only been there for the 1 season, while Edler is the Canucks longest serving defenseman and has repeatedly blocked trades with his NTC, wanting to stay in Vancouver, even during the rough years.)

Several players have made public statements regarding the team's direction, (JT Miller, as well as captain Bo Horvat) and other depth guys on the team have been described as unhappy or have had their agents make eyebrow raising remarks to the media (Gaudette was described by Friedman was being 'already unhappy' prior to being traded, and Brogan Rafferty's agent basically said 'Bye Felicia' when asked about free agency.)

There's also the perception that the team really bungled the Covid situation, with Horvat pointedly talking about everyone (fans, media, families, teammates, etc.) but management when asked about how he felt about management's role in handling the Covid situation. Miller also made remarks about not feeling ready.

I personally don't think that Pettersson wants out, but as I said in another thread discussing this, I do think that he's mapped out where the fire exits are and has an escape route planned. It's not so much the fact that he's expressing this kind of sentiment. For me, it's the way he's specifically talking two contracts ahead. I imagine he's very aware of Eichel's situation of being stuck on a bad team and wants to guard against that eventuality. Coupled with the dark cloud over the Canucks right now and some folks are worried about keeping EP longterm.

EDIT: I would say the incentive for EP, if he were at all interested in Detroit, would be Yzerman's resume in Tampa and the fact that the Red Wings appear to be moving in a coherent direction.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Why did they sign Demko to $5M x 5?

I think Demko is a pretty good goalie, personally I would take Knight, but there is some belief he will be Team USA 3rd tender at least when names are thrown around for 2022 in Team USA circles he is a name I am seeing more and more of for that team. That was one of the few Benning moves I didn't have a problem with, he just messed up the Holtby part really bad. He is cheaper than extending Markstrom, probably the right thing to do and fits better the same prime entering mode the rest of the guys driving the Canucks bus are doing.

Jim Benning's off-season is for me a cautionary tale of why it is dangerous to keep a guy that is basically so close to being thrown in the street. It is how a guy like Chiarelli can give out the Koskinen contract. I mean if OEL bounces back great, if he doesn't Benning isn't around to be stuck with that decision. I think Vancouver improved a little this off-season assuming they can force the bridge on Hughes and Pettersson, but I think that is a part of the quote in terms of at what cost to the future? Like if you run this thing all the way aground I might not stay forever. It's the Eichel warning, we are going to see a few guys make it. What I find confusing here is it isn't like the Canucks aren't trying. They just keep handing out that little bit extra over and over on contracts and it does feel like guys in that room are starting to say wait a minute on some of this like the Vancouver fans dropping in keep saying...

By the way if you really want Pettersson and believe in him over single digit percentage chances on Wright and Bedard well offer sheet his ass, keep Larkin and Bert and put them on line 2 and dip into free agency to supplement the rest of the rebuild. I am not guessing that is what Yzerman will do, but throw your next 4 picks down. You have your 1C, if you think he can stay healthy enough, that is the piece we keep saying we need, less chance than bingo balls, but man it will look bad if he gets hurt in game 10 and we give Shane Wright directly to Vancouver.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Neither Greiss or Bernie made that much last season....

Isn't Demko pretty much middle of the road goalie?

Neither Griess or Bernier have been a starter in some time.

$5 million is actually middle of the road for a starting goalie. Tied for the 13th highest goalie cap hit.

For reference, Jimmy Howard signed for $5.3 million x 6 years back in 2013 when the salary cap was $64.3 million.

Reactions: Gniwder

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Our problem is having only one top 6 center.

So we trade him for another top 6 center.

ehehhhehhhhh….

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Yeah I easily give up the next three 1st rdp's if that's what they want for Pettersson and he'll sign here long-term.

We've been dying for a center like and and if one gets offered up to us, sweet, no need to draft one. An can now use the rest of the money on quality players to fill out the holes created through the Pettersson trade. Doesn't win a ton of face-offs...

Risky move, cause you've gotta hope good health for Pettersson/Larkin long-term. Way better option than the Eichel move though I they're both pivot type swinging for the fence moves in this rebuild. It'd signal a real change.

Idk where it leads one to think he doesn't want to play in VAN. Cause he said he wanted to play for a winner? Pretty sure Detroit Red Wings won't give up what it'll take to get Pettersson here anyways even if he did really want to leave Vancouver.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Offer-sheet him.

Yzerman is so good on trades, that he could make offer-sheet look like as a friendly act. :)

Ehf1JcZXsAAfB3G.jpg

2021 should be same as 2020, because cap did stand pat.

But in reality, offer-sheet is like a "trade", you get a nice compensation fo draft picks.

Something between 8.8 and under 10M, I think would be the try.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I don't think we can offer that package, the HF token second instead of a first also isn't something real GMs go for.

But in any event Vancouver cannot afford that and then sign Hughes. The reason these negotiations are taking so long is Benning basically needs to bridge both guys now. Given what they have seen handed out in particular Hughes on the defensive market he has put himself in a tough spot. So offering them 12 million in contracts is a non-starter.

Is Benning a real GM though?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Offer-sheet him.

Yzerman is so good on trades, that he could make offer-sheet look like as a friendly act. :)

Ehf1JcZXsAAfB3G.jpg

2021 should be same as 2020, because cap did stand pat.

But in reality, offer-sheet is like a "trade", you get a nice compensation fo draft picks.

Something between 8.8 and under 10M, I think would be the try.

benning would match. he's desperate to save his job. he's been making short-sighted moves all offseason.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
The canucks have 16 mill in cap space including LTIR space. Even if you offered EP 10.9, they will match. They would then move someone like Brad Hunt and/or Juolevi/Highmore to the minors giving them approximately 6 - 7 million to throw at Hughes on a 1 year deal. And despite his accomplishments, Hughes has absolutely no leverage so they can play hardball with him right down to the wire driving that price down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad