NFL: Eli Manning retires

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
For a guy to get in the Hall of Fame because he played four really good games over a 15 year career that was otherwise wholly pedestrian career performance would be a bad look for the Hall of Fame.

But I get it. He played for NY, he’s a Manning, and he played forever. He’s a first ballot guy even though he was never a top five QB in any season.

Well Joe Namath is in the HoF for basically one game. So its not unprecedented.

I think Rivers was the better QB, but because the CHARGERS, never won anything voters will take Eli before him. Both probably get in eventuaslly though.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
New York has a strong lobby in the NFL HoF voting, I think there is little doubt he will get in at some point.

This has been my point.

The Giants connection is a huge help & the Mara's have a lot of influence and are highly respected. Its like playing for the Habs or Leafs.

& I never got or cared for the hype around the Manning family, but that certainly helps.

Also, Troy Aikman is in the hall of fame. he has 1 less SBMVP, 1 more ring and almost half Eli's stats. Plus he played with Smith + Irvin along with a host of other greats. But just like the Giants connection helps, the Cowboys one does too.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

I think Rivers was the better QB, but because the CHARGERS, never won anything voters will take Eli before him. Both probably get in eventuaslly though.
The Namath thing isn't helpful. I also don't think current voters need to be beholden to past mistakes.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Eli, Big Ben and Rivers will all go to the hall of fame.
Question is now which one will go out next, Rivers or Big Ben?!

Personally, Rivers is cooked and should retire asap.
Big Ben may hold on for a year or two.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Also, Troy Aikman is in the hall of fame. he has 1 less SBMVP, 1 more ring and almost half Eli's stats. Plus he played with Smith + Irvin along with a host of other greats. But just like the Giants connection helps, the Cowboys one does too.
Different eras. Compare guys to their peers.

Aikman: finished top in passer rating six times
Eli: finished top in passer rating once

Reactions: CPTN71

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Good for him. Fact is, Aikman is overrated as hell and wouldn't of sniffed the HOF had he played for the Raiders or Cardinals.

Likewise it helps Eli that he won 2 rings while also claiming MVP of those games, and played for an iconic franchise. Its also true that the 07 & '11 runs are some of the more memorable of his era.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Good for him. Fact is, Aikman is overrated as hell and wouldn't of sniffed the HOF had he played for the Raiders or Cardinals.

Likewise it helps Eli that he won 2 rings while also claiming MVP of those games, and played for an iconic franchise. Its also true that the 07 & '11 runs are some of the more memorable of his era.
They're especially memorable because he's like what happens if Trent Dilfer stuck around long enough to win two.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

His passer rating leads are extra impressive given how important TD passes are to padding it and the disparity between the TDs you'd expect him to have versus the passing yards he had (Emmit Smith punch ins). He's 38th all time in yards 73rd in TDs.

He was also the only one keeping a lid on that lunatic asylum after Jimmy Johnson left.

It's almost as if stat whacking delves into a superficial debunking formula devoid of any context or something.:dunno:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They're especially memorable because he's like what happens if Trent Dilfer stuck around long enough to win two.

Not even remotely close.

Both games had big moments that people remember, I.E the Tyree & Manningham catches. I am not a Giants fan nor a Pats fan and I remember both pretty clearly.

Also Dilfer was a starter for all of 7 seasons, hit 20 TDs twice and never threw for 3000 yards in a season.

Last edited:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Not even remotely close.

Both games had big moments that people remember, I.e> the Tyree & Manningham catches. I am not a Giants fan nor a Pats fan and I remember both pretty clearly.

David Tyree’s helmet catch will forever go down as one of the most iconic Super Bowl plays of all time.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
A bust of this face neccisitates his entry into Canton:

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: OmniCube

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Eli had a great career but he's the definition of the hall of very good for me. I have little doubt he'll get in though.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Read today that this coming football season will be the first one without either Peyton or Eli starting at quarterback in college or in the NFL since 1993.

Patrick Mahomes was born in 1995.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
If his name wasn't Manning (evoking all the comparisons), and he didn't play for the NY Giants (and instead won 2 SBs for a franchise like Cinci, San Diego, Jax, Cleveland, etc.) he'd be considered the best player ever for those teams and a HOF lock.

Reactions: Voight

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
The Namath thing isn't helpful. I also don't think current voters need to be beholden to past mistakes.

Fickle fans who focus solely on the Super Bowl aren’t smart enough to recognize the road to the Super Bowls are part of the equation.

Winning in Dallas, Twice is Green Bay, taking an absolute beating in SF to win and then beat the mighty Pats twice in which his 4th QTR numbers are off the charts.

Reactions: Voight

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
He played in an era where QB play in general started to improve drastically. I think it led to this weird thing where he had this reputation as this big clutch performer through his 2 Super Bowls, and then closed out his career with a few seasons that were statistically better than anything he'd done before on paper (4,000+ yards, 30 TDs, ~15ish INTs), but in reality, the standard of play for QBs was just getting better when he had those seasons.

Rank for QB rating each year of his career (From Pro Football Reference; I don't know what the cutoff is, but it seems like the fewest games played for QBs that are ranked is like 8-10ish starts per season, mostly looking at starters):

2004 - 55.4 (NR)
2005 - 75.9 (23rd)
2006 - 77.0 (18th)
2007 - 73.9 (25th)
2008 - 86.4 (15th)
2009 - 93.1 (11th)
2010 - 85.3 (17th)
2011 - 92.9 (7th)
2012 - 87.2 (14th)
2013 - 69.4 (35th)
2014 - 92.1 (15th)
2015 - 93.6 (13th)
2016 - 86.0 (22nd)
2017 - 80.4 (25th)
2018 - 92.4 (21st)
2019 - 82.6 (NR)

So by best finish by rank, you have:

7th
11th
13th
14th
15th
15th
17th
18th
21st
22nd
23rd
25th
25th
35th

His magnum opus of a season was 2011 when he put up his best year relative to his peers AND won the Super Bowl. He had over 4,900 yards, 29-16 for TD/INT and was 9-7. I think most can agree that was a great year. But other than that, you have another decent year in 2009 (albeit not top 10) and then nothing but middling to awful seasons where it was split on whether he'd be a top 20 QB in the NFL (at the time) or not.

He had 2 Super Bowl runs, which is obviously 100% what his positive legacy is, but lost the 1st game of the playoffs the other 4 times he played in the playoffs.

I honestly think his HOF is absolutely absurd, but I fully expect him to get in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad