NFL: Eli Manning retires

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Actually kinda surprised he didn't at least wait it out till the offseason to see what was available for him, but I guess one of two things factored in...he either wanted to be a one-team player and/or didn't want to risk having the league basically tell him to retire with a lack of interest.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think he knew he was done and didn't want to have to move to a situation that was unlikely to be any better.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Every team would kill to draft a QB in the 1st round and have him play every Sunday for 15 years without missing any games and bring home 2 Super Bowls. Say what you want about him but he showed up when it mattered most and I’d it with complete class. Clutch playoff performer.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Actually kinda surprised he didn't at least wait it out till the offseason to see what was available for him, but I guess one of two things factored in...he either wanted to be a one-team player and/or didn't want to risk having the league basically tell him to retire with a lack of interest.

Well he's already made an absurd amount of money & is going to the hall of fame, so he probably figured why potentially take more beatings on the field. Spend time with his kids and take as many vacations as he wants. Plus I feel like he really wanted to be a one team player / did not want to pull a Brodeur lol. He'd likely be a one season placeholder with no benefit (I could see him coming back if he was close to say most TDs or passing yards).

& you're right about having the league tell him to retire... no player of his stature wants that.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
His two NFC championship games are two special performances. To go in and beat that Packers team in LAmbeau in -3 degree weather and the absolute beating he took by that 49ers D and still kept getting up from.

Also keeping two extra rings from Brady is hall of fame worthy on its own

2007 was the most fun I ever had following my football team. Thanks for that Eli

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
For a guy to get in the Hall of Fame because he played four really good games over a 15 year career that was otherwise wholly pedestrian career performance would be a bad look for the Hall of Fame.

But I get it. He played for NY, he’s a Manning, and he played forever. He’s a first ballot guy even though he was never a top five QB in any season.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
For a guy to get in the Hall of Fame because he played four really good games over a 15 year career that was otherwise wholly pedestrian career performance would be a bad look for the Hall of Fame.
I kinda agree but Namath is in the HOF so that argument goes out the window
Namath is in because he's a legend, despite mediocre numbers and a putrid regular season record.
the '07 Giants had the greatest postseason run in the history of the league, backed up with another SB

there's also something to be said for Eli absolute best play coming in the brightest & most pressure filled spots. 3 of his 5 best games as a pro are probably playoff games. A guy like Brees just dominates in the regular season yet has a 3-5 record in his last 8 playoff games with 16 tds and 10 ints in that span.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
There's absolutely no debate as to if he's getting in. The only debate is does he deserve it. The answer probably not, but it's pointless to argue because as mentioned, he's a lock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad