GDT: ELECTRICIANS @ HOUSE OF THE STORM

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
This ^^ is true. :hockey:

Speaking of B2B's and 3 games in 5 nights. Lo and behold we have another stretch of that in California. LA Tuesday, SJ Wed and Anaheim Friday...then we have 6 days off. Play well and try to pull out at least two wins in the next three games and I'll call the trip a success. Then they have 6 days off to recharge.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Danm it. Goat should be up and in the top 6. He’s clearly shown in his 8 minutes of play against other teams 4th lines that he’s better than guys in our top 9. Seems like Boychuk and Dalpe all over again where they didn’t get a fair chance.
giphy.gif

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The way Haula has broken out so far this year, I want to see how he and Svech would play together. At the same time, he's giving us such a 3rd line punch that I'm not sure I would want to mess with that.

Yeah, that's the beauty and the reason why you want quality depth. Aho has 1 goal, Svech has 1 goal, Staal has 1 goal and Nino has 0 goals, but the team is top 10 in the NHL in goal scoring and has a 5-1 record. These guys are going to have ups and downs as the season progresses. I fully expect Svech, Nino and Aho to heat up, but I also expect Dougie and Haula to cool down.

Nice luxury to have vs. a few years back where if Skinner wasn't scoring, we were hosed.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Yeah, that's the beauty and the reason why you want quality depth. Aho has 1 goal, Svech has 1 goal, Staal has 1 goal and Nino has 0 goals, but the team is top 10 in the NHL in goal scoring and has a 5-1 record. These guys are going to have ups and downs as the season progresses. I fully expect Svech, Nino and Aho to heat up, but I also expect Dougie and Haula to cool down.

Nice luxury to have vs. a few years back where if Skinner wasn't scoring, we were hosed.
Layered depth is so key to competing. As you just pointed out, we now have the kind of depth that allows a team to keep punching even when its stars aren't clicking.

And really, the goal here isn't for the team to click now, its for the team to click in April, May, and June. If this roster, with these players can all peak during that stretch, I don't know how you don't write them in as an absolute legitimate Cup contending team this year. This team firing on all cylinders entering the playoffs would leave a serious swath of destruction in its wake.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yes, but mostly from the Powerplay and he has only 1 goal. Most of his goals moves came always from the right side. From left he can pass, from right also score in bunches. Which side do we prefer
His right side moves worked great in junior but didn’t immediately work last year. Mostly because while a strong skater he isn’t super quick with cut backs to the middle that most elite off wing scorers have. Svech is more of a bowling ball, you’re not moving it off it’s path but it’s not jumping three feet to the left either. That’s why he primarily uses the drive wide on the backhand and try to force your way back to the net move. This really isn’t a great option if it’s your only option. If you get cut off you’re blind on your backhand pass and just button hook. You can go behind the net but again you’re on your backhand blind to the passing options by the net. If you make it back to the net you mostly jam at the goalies feet because it’s pretty rare you’re getting all the way across the goal mouth. It’s great for creating a goal mouth scramble. Occasionally you get your forehand free enough to try to snipe from a sharp angle before you get to the net.

So last year I was a proponent of him being an LW until he was big and strong enough to consistently create offense on the right, or if he actually learned a different move. From the left he can use his underrated passing on the rush, he can consistently get that great shot off with a variety of releases and he can wrap around the net on his forehand to come around from behind it on his forehand and his head up where he becomes really dangerous as a playmaker. Last year they did it for a few games and he was immediately more dangerous. It was a game against TO I think that was the eye opener.

I think he can be effective either side, though I agree with the idea he likes the right. I think that’s because the one move is his bread and butter up to this point and he feels most comfortable with it. If he can consistently create from it that’s great. Not many can, and most that do can make a sharp cutback to the middle to get a shot off from a better angle.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Aho not scoring isn’t really an issue until we get to the doldrums. When everyone who’s been carrying us cools down someone has to pick it up. If Aho doesn’t at that point and no one else steps up the spotlight gets a lot brighter for our quiet little Finn.

Last year everyone took their turn. Mckegg, McGinn, TT, Etc...

We’ll need that again. Haula won’t be like this all year. Dougie will be dangerous from the point all year but the shot won’t always go in. If the offense dries up and Aho doesn’t score then it’s an issue.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
We’ll need that again. Haula won’t be like this all year. Dougie will be dangerous from the point all year but the shot won’t always go in. If the offense dries up and Aho doesn’t score then it’s an issue.

Yep, and I am confident he will score. He had 20G in 45G in Liiga. He had 24 goals as a rookie, 29 in his 2nd year and 30 in his 3rd year in the NHL. He has more SOG (by far) than any other forward on the team, has the highest expected xGF%, 2nd highest scoring chances for / 60 (only behind TT), and is right up there with Svech, TT, and Haula for High Danger shot attempts / 60. He's got a 4% shooting % vs. a career averge of 12.3%.

He didn't suddenly forget how to score goals, he's had a dry spell and he's a competitive kid who might be pressing a little to much, which happens and I suspect he'll rebound.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I have a feeling he'll break out on this road trip. Get away from Raleigh, where he is putting the pressure on himself to score in front of his own fans, and allows him to play a little loose. Wouldn't be shocked if he gets 2 or 3 goals on this roadtrip alone just to kick it into gear for him.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Statistically Aho is getting chances and some of them are bound to start going in. However he looked plain bad at the end of Saturday's game. Zero confidence with the puck. Looked like a jittery rookie who was terrified to make the wrong play. No two ways around it. Hopefully getting a few bounces will improve his mental game.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I remember when Crosby went something like 10-11 games without a goal to start the 2017 season, and only had a few assists. There would be some rushing to judgment if Aho went another 5 games without a goal, but it happens to every player for various reasons.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
The only player with PPP who is not part of the *second unit* is Necas. That's strange even though that unit 19-86-37-56-18 is criminally good.

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
His right side moves worked great in junior but didn’t immediately work last year. Mostly because while a strong skater he isn’t super quick with cut backs to the middle that most elite off wing scorers have. Svech is more of a bowling ball, you’re not moving it off it’s path but it’s not jumping three feet to the left either. That’s why he primarily uses the drive wide on the backhand and try to force your way back to the net move. This really isn’t a great option if it’s your only option. If you get cut off you’re blind on your backhand pass and just button hook. You can go behind the net but again you’re on your backhand blind to the passing options by the net. If you make it back to the net you mostly jam at the goalies feet because it’s pretty rare you’re getting all the way across the goal mouth. It’s great for creating a goal mouth scramble. Occasionally you get your forehand free enough to try to snipe from a sharp angle before you get to the net.

So last year I was a proponent of him being an LW until he was big and strong enough to consistently create offense on the right, or if he actually learned a different move. From the left he can use his underrated passing on the rush, he can consistently get that great shot off with a variety of releases and he can wrap around the net on his forehand to come around from behind it on his forehand and his head up where he becomes really dangerous as a playmaker. Last year they did it for a few games and he was immediately more dangerous. It was a game against TO I think that was the eye opener.

I think he can be effective either side, though I agree with the idea he likes the right. I think that’s because the one move is his bread and butter up to this point and he feels most comfortable with it. If he can consistently create from it that’s great. Not many can, and most that do can make a sharp cutback to the middle to get a shot off from a better angle.
I don't know if I understood right. Did you say that Svech hasn't super fast lateral moves to dangle defenders. If this is what you said, than you are wrong... He can... If he wants....he has lightning fast lateral movement. He did in juniors..and from watching the games he still has it. Only cause he does not use it doesn't mean that he has not this skill. Sorry for the 3 doesn't. If I misunderstood what you said, simply forget this post:)

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don't know if I understood right. Did you say that Svech hasn't super fast lateral moves to dangle defenders. If this is what you said, than you are wrong... He can... If he wants....he has lightning fast lateral movement. He did in juniors..and from watching the games he still has it. Only cause he does not use it doesn't mean that he has not this skill. Sorry for the 3 doesn't. If I misunderstood what you said, simply forget this post:)
I’m definitely saying he isn’t super fast laterally. I can’t think of a single reason why he wouldn’t use such moves if he did have them. I’ve watched a ton of his junior and international videos, that’s how I drew the conclusions I have.

Watch a video of a bowler starting in the middle of the lane and throwing the ball from the middle towards the right side then swinging back to the middle. That’s Svech generally on the rush. In his junior video collection there’s one goal where he makes a sharp cut back to the middle and scores, it’s fun to watch in how awkward it looks for him. It hints he could do more of that but there so little actual proof he actually does. It’s one move in a ten plus minute video of him making moves to the outside for the majority of the video.

I don’t feel wrong about this but am obviously open to discussion on it.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad