Elder Scrolls Online

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So if you buy the 150 dollar version of ESO, you get an exclusive race (the Imperial) available only to those buying that version.

Now, the other goodies you get (90 days of free play, a mount, a copy of Skyrim: Legendary Edition, and a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff) might make up for the difference in price ($80 for the standard version), but that seems a little high.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Have yet to meet someone that enjoyed the beta.

I've only tried it one beta weekend on a friend's account, and I enjoyed it.
So did 2 or my buddies, one didn't.

Major difference? 3 of us are looking for a Skyrim-like experience, only in an MMO world.
He's looking for an MMO experience in the world of Tamriel.

This game will not have a fantastic end-game and will be much more about the journey to max level AND max level than just speed leveling and setting up for end-game.

The combat is rather lame, no matter how you spin it, and the no-housing-at-launch bit sucks, but overall, I think it'll be a pleasant surprise.
I hope (and expect) about 3 months of quality gaming out of it, which is fair enough for 60 EUR.

My biggest concern is the simple lack of mods - as much as Bethesda has done fantastic with their series, their willingness to work with the community and get them all the tools they need was almost as big of a reason why Skyrim is so great.

Zodiac

Jul 6, 2003
$60 to buy and $15 a month to play. have my doubts about it being a success. the subscription model seems to be going the way of the Dodo bird ...thankfully.

wonder how long before it goes free to play?

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
$60 to buy and $15 a month to play. have my doubts about it being a success. the subscription model seems to be going the way of the Dodo bird ...thankfully.

wonder how long before it goes free to play?

I'm guessing 6 months. And people still seem to think that going from a subscription model to free-to-play with in-game RMT is somehow confirmation of failure.

TERA, for example, got very decent numbers at launch, then when they dropped off the switched to a FTP model with an in-game shop, they ended up making MORE money.
The number of people spending huge amounts of cash on fluff items was always going to be enough to offset the people who never buy anything.
As long as the numbers are there, that MMO will be fine.

TESO has a massive franchise behind it, all kinds of promotion and marketing, they'll have the numbers to begin with, and they're very likely to make a few hundred million in 3-6 months with a subscription model.
And unless they screw it up majorly, they'll continue making money off fluff items etc. if it goes free-to-play.

Personally, I'd rather pay 15$ a month and play even with everyone, than have items like XP potions, etc. slowly creep in on the in-game shop.

Now, more importantly, money aside, I hope the game is actually good at launch, both server stability and the gameplay itself.

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
I'm mainly interested in the PvP aspect of the game, the story from what I've experienced so far seems lacking a strong and interesting narrative. I haven't played a game with decent PvP since Age of Conan.

Oh well, the crafting seems unique though and the skill trees are very intriguing but I know there is going to be min/maxing.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I'm mainly interested in the PvP aspect of the game, the story from what I've experienced so far seems lacking a strong and interesting narrative. I haven't played a game with decent PvP since Age of Conan.

AoC PvP was infuriating for non-casters at times, managing Stamina using sprint AND combat abilities and hitting comboes, while mages just stood there and pressed a button ...
Yes, I'm exaggerating, but only to make a point.

I don't expect the TESO story to be fantastic, honestly, no TES game has a truly fantastic main story.
It's always been more about you and what you do in that world, the freedom and exploration... That's what I'm hoping (obviously, within reason since it's an MMO).

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Going free to play later is essentially necessary for all MMOs from now on. Ones that were released years ago can manage it but I don't forsee any new one that doesn't go F2P within a year. Essentially you have a subscription to recoup development costs and give you money to run the servers. That's what SWTOR did I assume ESO will follow the same pattern.

Wish they didn't make this game though, not a fan of MMOs unless I really like the universe. It's essentially a bare bones Elder Scrolls game with multiplayer so it's not that attractive.

Towers

Speculator
Oct 7, 2008
Speculation Ave
I think my email is stalking me. I was reading this thread and just got an email from GamersGate telling me to preorder..

Also, for anyone preordering on PC

KY4XXV-2R3AMR-ZKLUV6

That is my personalized 25% off code from GMG. It expires on February 3rd. So if you're wanting to preorder for some crazy reason at least get 25% off.

The email makes it look like it'll work on the Imperial Edition as well for the truly bat**** crazy.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Someone somewhere needs to make a Sandbx mmo with extreme pvp rules as in if you get you can get looted etc...

Benny Lava

Oh well, the crafting seems unique though and the skill trees are very intriguing but I know there is going to be min/maxing.

The pvp was easily the most fun I had during the test a few months back.

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
AoC PvP was infuriating for non-casters at times, managing Stamina using sprint AND combat abilities and hitting comboes, while mages just stood there and pressed a button ...
Yes, I'm exaggerating, but only to make a point.

I don't expect the TESO story to be fantastic, honestly, no TES game has a truly fantastic main story.
It's always been more about you and what you do in that world, the freedom and exploration... That's what I'm hoping (obviously, within reason since it's an MMO).

I still think Morrowind had a fantastic story. But I do agree most TES games aren't about the linear story experience.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Well
In a mediaval non zombie world and with MMO perks like an economy etc

Think Ultima Online with modern day graphics and FFA PVP
Darkfall is as close as you will ever get and it's terrible. PvP in modern MMOs just doesn't work anymore. Games get too big and the masses of terrible players win the developers over.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Darkfall is as close as you will ever get and it's terrible. PvP in modern MMOs just doesn't work anymore. Games get too big and the masses of terrible players win the developers over.

You'd think with the success Dayz is having a similar game but with RPG and a sandbox element would be a huge success

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
IGN says it is completely possible to play the game single player. May pick it up on One so I can play it as a single player game for a month. And who knows, I may get more out of it. I played SWTOR as a single player game and I got three months out of it, which is the most I've gotten continuous almost every day gameplay in a very long time.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Started the download of the beta. Solid 350kbps and 2%

This is off to a good start. The beta will be over before it's done downloading.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Don't like the idea of this game as a big TES fan... an MMO just doesn't seem right. I also dislike that right when the beta was first coming out I thought "seems like an awful idea but i'll sign up to test"... (it was also a slow game month)... heard absolutely nothing back after a ridiculously long beta sign-up process... now i'm getting Beta invites every other day for the last two weeks.

Not impressed. I'll wait until a game actually changes MMO's.... I'm looking at you Everquest Next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad