Rumor: Eklund: Sabres interested in Spezza?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Even a clock when broken is right twice a day. Eklund throws out rumors like a pitcher does pitches a game. I don't think he makes sense for Buffalo at the moment unless he was a UFA.

Spezza doesn't make sense for the Sabres this off season, UFA or not.

He might never make sense depending on Grigorenko's development and who the Sabres can draft in '14 & '15.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
If the idea is to move Hodgson to the wing then we do need a stop gap 1C for a couple years. One player can't make a team better. If we can get him for say Ehrhoff and a small + then I would do it.

We'll still be a bottom feeder even if we happen to score a few more goals. We'll have a young D core and wishy-washy goaltending.

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
If the idea is to move Hodgson to the wing then we do need a stop gap 1C for a couple years. One player can't make a team better. If we can get him for say Ehrhoff and a small + then I would do it.

We'll still be a bottom feeder even if we happen to score a few more goals. We'll have a young D core and wishy-washy goaltending.

If the Sabres trade Ehrhoff and risk dealing with the recapture penalty, it should be for a package of young talent. It wouldn't make sense to move him and risk the penalty for 30-year-old Spezza, whose presence on a bottom-feeding team would be superfluous.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

The team doesn't need a stopgap #1C, it needs a regular #1C. They have Ennis, Hodgson, and Girgensons as short-term solution centers in the top 6. If they draft Reinhart or Bennett, then they have another.

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
still cant figure out why some of you want to SUCK again
one season of being dead last was enough 4 me.our luck we finish last, islanders 2nd last n we still loose out on the #1 pick

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
He's not great defensively and injury prone.

If Spezza was just one or the other, I'd pull the trigger if the price was right, but it isn't and he's both.

TossinSauce

Dec 16, 2013
Upstate NY
one season of being dead last was enough 4 me.our luck we finish last, islanders 2nd last n we still loose out on the #1 pick

Ending the rebuild early will only lead to shallow playoff appearances in the future IMO. We're lacking an elite offensive player and some can be found at the top of the 2015 draft.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

I don't care about Connor McDavid. Best case scenario is a 25% chance at him by finishing last. I care about securing one of several elite prospects in that draft. If the team finishes near the bottom next year then they're guaranteed a really great prospect, it's that simple.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
File this with the Heatley signing.. Where things that both make no sense and are stupid belong

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
It's simple really:

Ottawa has a player that is on the trade market

Buffalo's GM has strong ties to Ottawa org.

Thus, any Ottawa player on the block? Buffalo has interest in, regardless of whether or not it makes sense for the Sabres.

omglolnub

Jun 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

So...become the Toronto Maple Leafs then? :sarcasm:

All jokes aside, it'd take an NHL 14 Be a GM mode style trade frenzy to make this team anything but a bottom feeder for the next few seasons minimum. Check out as a fan for like 5 years if you don't like it, but that's basically the plan, barring anything drastic and improbable.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I agree with the general sentiment in this thread that the "rumor" is bogus and the team is better off without him for one more season.

Now, that being said, I wouldn't mind a guy like Spezza on the Sabres following the 2015 draft. Not sure he would consider signing here as a UFA, but I wouldn't mind adding him as a veteran and taking some pressure off of the developing youngsters as well as pushing the rebuild quickly back in the positive direction.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Literally no point in acquiring Spezza. NHL off season with no trades can get boring for teams not in the playoffs. Eklund needs hits.

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
The Sabres don't make much Spezza sense unless they're acting as an intermediary to eat 50% of his salary and flip him.

I think this is the only way we could or should be involved. Spezza at $3.5M for one year with us holding 50% to help our cap floor should fetch a better return than we would have to pay to get him for 1 year at $7M. I'm not opposed if we can line up a 3 way trade. Although those are unlikely, if it were ever going to happen Tim probably knows enough to figure a way to help the Sens and Sabres and has the relationship with Ottawa to make exploring it possible.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
You don't give up assets for spezza at this point in the rebuild.

If you want to spend money, sign a free agent or two.

DouglasMurraysSpeed*

Why talking about rumours coming from Eklund anyway?

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
bring in Spezza, heatley, Alfredsson and recapture the old school Sens magic.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

1387246015000-jack-eichel.jpg

connor_mcdavid_erie.jpg

Hanifin_Noah.jpg

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
It's simple really:

Ottawa has a player that is on the trade market

Buffalo's GM has strong ties to Ottawa org.

Thus, any Ottawa player on the block? Buffalo has interest in, regardless of whether or not it makes sense for the Sabres.

Pretty much. This has been happening since Murray got here, and Tim only fueled the rumor-mongers when he said he tried making a trade with his uncle. This is going to be going on for awhile. Buffalo will be linked to any Senator who may be on the move.

I believe the Sabres are interested in Spezza as a free agent next summer

I was going to quote you and write "...in the summer of 2015." Now I see that you put that in white font. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00