Rumor: Eklund: Sabres interested in Spezza?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
He's a good player. A team going for it in 2015 would be interested. But the Sabres are going to ice a tire fire next year.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Regardless of where this came from, I highly doubt the Sabres are interested in Spezza. Maybe if we were actually going for it in 14/15.....but all we're going for is ping pong balls in the McDavid lotto.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
I just read it on twitter this morning and can't remember who posted it, might have been Spectors Hockey. Said Detroit, Buffalo and San Jose were interested. I will go back and try to find it.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I just read it on twitter this morning and can't remember who posted it, might have been Spectors Hockey. Said Detroit, Buffalo and San Jose were interested. I will go back and try to find it.

The Sabres don't make much Spezza sense unless they're acting as an intermediary to eat 50% of his salary and flip him.

Nibbler

May 24, 2011
Ambassador to Earth
If Buffalo could unload some vets in the process (Stafford or Ehrhoff) and not lose a 1st in the trade then I say do it... The only reason would be to trade him at the deadline for a 2015 first.

I doubt Ottawa deals him without getting a 2015 1st back though.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
It was posted by Eklund. Aka Murray used to be with Ottawa, an Ottawa player maybe available therefore Sabres have to be interested.

Spezza is the absolute polar opposite of a leader and is exactly what this team doesn't need in the room.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I would not be happy about it, not one bit. The main benefit imo would be if he could teach Grigorenko how guys with their skill sets and shortcomings play in the league. Spezza is very similar to what Grigorenko's top end projection is. Absolutely not worth the cost to grab him; not really worth the possible cost in draft position, if it were part of other moves to strengthen the team next season.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Spezza, on the other hand, is a much easier sale. At this point I am hearing the Wings, Sabres and Sharks could be among the teams interested...however, the Leafs could very much get involved with the Spezza trade game. They will have interest in him as a UFA a year from now for certain.

more to come.

from Eklund...

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Get to cap floor. Convince league you aren't intentionally tanking. Use as deadline trade chip to get another nice pick. Sure, works for me.

Clock

May 13, 2006
I really hate the idea of giving away assets just to get off of the cap floor. I guess if we're sending relative garbage over, sure.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Eklund's just piggybacking traffic from Kypreos and Garrioch rumors here:
Nick Kypreos @RealKyper
Ontario captains on the way out soon? Independent sources say both #Sens and #Leafs shopping Spezza/ Phaneuf to west conf #NHL teams
Bruce Garrioch @SunGarrioch
Unlike Phaneuf, Spezza's return would be similar to trade deadline rental: Player who can help now, prospect and No. 1 pick. #Sens #Leafs

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I wouldn't like this; only if we were to grab and sign him as a free agent but for starters. Why does Ottawa trade a player like Spezza to a division rival?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I wouldn't like this; only if we were to grab and sign him as a free agent but for starters. Why does Ottawa trade a player like Spezza to a division rival?

Why wouldn't they? We're not scaring Ottawa. Divisions are too big now to worry about this except perhaps under specific circumstances. You can't not trade with 7 out of 29 teams.

omglolnub

Jun 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I kinda want to have as little talent on the Sabres next year while hoping for the Islanders to fail as hard as possible (unless they're dumb enough to fork over pick #5 this year) to have better chances of getting McDavid. Spezza is too good; hurts the tank :laugh:

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
That's a cute rumor and all, but why would the feeling be mutual? I would think the Sabres are one of the last teams Spezza would be interested in considering they are years away from serious contention for deep round playoff success. I would think he would consider teams like Boston, Chicago, LA, Anaheim, SJ, St. Louis, Philly, Minnesota, and perhaps NYR.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Even a clock when broken is right twice a day. Eklund throws out rumors like a pitcher does pitches a game. I don't think he makes sense for Buffalo at the moment unless he was a UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00