Rumor: Eklund Rumor re: Hoffman

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Well he does have speed but still say no to the deal and see what we have in our new prospects.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It is quite obvious that Q inherited a stacked team and he was only as good as the roster. Once the inevitable occurred and the roster weakened, Q was exposed as the average coach that he is. I get a chuckle when he is mentioned with the greats like Scotty, Irvin, Arbor..... so yeah, Panthers would have been better off retaining Gallant, IMO.
Yeah, blah blah blah. Whatever makes you feel better about yourself I guess. How many coaches in the modern era (salary cap era) have won 3 Cups? NONE! There have been plenty of stacked teams in this era, (including Babcock coached teams) and how many do they have? Chicago did win, that's what matters. Ask the players how they feel about Q, and you'll get the answer you don't like.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Yeah, blah blah blah. Whatever makes you feel better about yourself I guess. How many coaches in the modern era (salary cap era) have won 3 Cups? NONE! There have been plenty of stacked teams in this era, (including Babcock coached teams) and how many do they have? Chicago did win, that's what matters. Ask the players how they feel about Q, and you'll get the answer you don't like.

You mean like Marian Hossa for example?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think there is a difference between mediocre and overrated. I do not think Q was a mediocre coach, he was typically ahead of the curve on icing the best matchups and did a wonderful job with putting an emphasis on skill over grit and truculence when this core was formed. He saw the skill we had and made it work into a system instead of trying to force players into roles they were not comfortable with. Over time did he get stale and actually lose a few steps? Yep, but he wasn't mediocre at all, just ran his course here and likely will do well in Florida with a new group of players and a year off to rejuvenate..

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I think there is a difference between mediocre and overrated. I do not think Q was a mediocre coach, he was typically ahead of the curve on icing the best matchups and did a wonderful job with putting an emphasis on skill over grit and truculence when this core was formed. He saw the skill we had and made it work into a system instead of trying to force players into roles they were not comfortable with. Over time did he get stale and actually lose a few steps? Yep, but he wasn't mediocre at all, just ran his course here and likely will do well in Florida with a new group of players and a year off to rejuvenate..

This.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Nobody is changing anybody’s mind about Q. Waste of time and energy.

I don’t ever want the “anyone could’ve coached those Hawks teams to a Cup” mantra to gain any traction. Q was a great coach for a while here so I have no problem defending him until I’m blue in the face

Reactions: Hawkaholic

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
I don’t ever want the “anyone could’ve coached those Hawks teams to a Cup” mantra to gain any traction. Q was a great coach for a while here so I have no problem defending him until I’m blue in the face

Yup. Even the greatest coaches have shelf lives. He very well could turn the Panthers in to a perennial contender.

I do expect their powerplay numbers to plummet a bit, however.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
If Q brings his same coaching strategies to Florida that he had his last two years with us then I don’t think they’ll do super well. But if he adapts then I see no reason he won’t be an excellent coach for them.

With Boston having Chara and Bergeron a year older, Toronto having lackluster defense, MTL being very mediocre, Ottawa being awful, I think there’s room for the Panthers to do very well

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
Eklund needs the clicks during the doldrums of summer so what is better than making up a rumor involving the Hawks, they're pretty popular team, right?

Reactions: bwana63

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
From what I can see Panthers aren't bad. Can Q make a difference and turn that team performance into something more?
One thing for sure, Q has the experience and I think he is Tallon's guy. He will be comfortable in his job (once again).
Q's presence in Florida will be VERY INTERESTING to observe.

Florida Panthers Announce Coaching Staff

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad