Rumor: Eklund Rumor re: Hoffman

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Maybe redundant wasn't the right word, but it's not like there's a gaping Hoffman-sized hole in our lineup. The assets it would cost to acquire Hoffman doesn't seem worth it to me because he'd be a luxury not a necessity. Cap wise you'd have to move someone like Saad which makes us worse defensively or Murphy who also makes us worse defensively.

My point with Kubalik is from an offensive standpoint, he plays the game a lot like Hoffman. Let's focus on grooming him into a 25 goal scorer instead of going after Hoffman. Have some faith in our own guys.
That’s a far more measured take than your first post. More of this. Less of that.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Given our current forward group (most notably, Kubalik) and the constraints of the hard cap, acquiring Hoffman makes no sense. I'd like to know Eklund's source, lol.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
yes he did utilizing them incorrectly and not to the strengths that they had at that point in the careers, thanks for proving my point
LOL, What was he supposed to do?
Kane was our best RW, played the most out of RW
Anisimov was our 2nd best C, played the 2nd most mins out of our Cs
Keith was stil lour best Dman, because the rest of the D was garbage, played the most out of our D.

Keep making shit up.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I still believe firing Q was the right choice but he is getting painted pretty bad here. Q should really help the Panthers as they have a lot of talent. Do I think he is going to transform the team to some world beater? No but he should help them take another step of two. I think it was a good hiring for the Panthers as it adds some more legitimacy to the team by adding a coach that has a tremendous resume (shows that the FO is serious imo).

This is coming from someone who was not a big supporter of Q.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Maybe redundant wasn't the right word, but it's not like there's a gaping Hoffman-sized hole in our lineup. The assets it would cost to acquire Hoffman doesn't seem worth it to me because he'd be a luxury not a necessity. Cap wise you'd have to move someone like Saad which makes us worse defensively or Murphy who also makes us worse defensively.

My point with Kubalik is from an offensive standpoint, he plays the game a lot like Hoffman. Let's focus on grooming him into a 25 goal scorer instead of going after Hoffman. Have some faith in our own guys.

This is the Musto that is fun to discuss hockey with.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I still believe firing Q was the right choice but he is getting painted pretty bad here. Q should really help the Panthers as they have a lot of talent. Do I think he is going to transform the team to some world beater? No but he should help them take another step of two. I think it was a good hiring for the Panthers as it adds some more legitimacy to the team by adding a coach that has a tremendous resume (shows that the FO is serious imo).

This is coming from someone who was not a big supporter of Q.

Put me in the group that thinks they will be a world beater. How much of that is Q and how much is Bobrovsky will be up for debate. That team has so much impressive talent. All they need is goaltending and a coach that can get them to bring their A game consistently and they will be a threat to win the East IMO.

When the games are tougher down the stretch and their backs are against the wall, that team can bring it.

Reactions: Laus723

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Put me in the group that thinks they will be a world beater. How much of that is Q and how much is Bobrovsky will be up for debate. That team has so much impressive talent. All they need is goaltending and a coach that can get them to bring their A game consistently and they will be a threat to win the East IMO.
They still play in a division with Tampa/Toronto/Boston. They’ve taken steps in a positive direction but they’re not there yet. Probably a wildcard team this year though.

Would love to see them be a contender though as I love Barkov and would like to see him get his due.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

When the games are tougher down the stretch and their backs are against the wall, that team can bring it.

I don't but that is just me. Who do you think they jump (Columbus not included)?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I don't but that is just me. Who do you think they jump (Columbus not included)?

Just to expand on my point, 27-12-2 second half record in 17-18, 19-15-7 in 18-19 and last year the goaltending situation was really bad in the second half, hence all of the OTLs.

I think they will jump Carolina and Pittsburgh for sure. I wouldn’t be surprised if they jumped anyone else other than Tampa. They will finish with 100+ points IMO. The East is really deep, but I’d be shocked if they missed the playoffs.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
They still play in a division with Tampa/Toronto/Boston. They’ve taken steps in a positive direction but they’re not there yet. Probably a wildcard team this year though.

Would love to see them be a contender though as I love Barkov and would like to see him get his due.

Barkov seems like he will be a big time playoff performer. The Stralman addition on D, Connolly, Acciari and Borgstrom providing much needed depth up front and of course Bob/Montembeault replacing the tire fire that was Reimer/Luongo/Hutchinson. Lots of improvements, we’ll see how it shakes out.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I can see them jumping the Canadians for 4th in their division, and then I only see Caps, and Hurricanes as teams in the Metro that will probably be better than them. I think the Pens, Islanders, and Jackets, all have a high probability of missing.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I can see them jumping the Canadians for 4th in their division, and then I only see Caps, and Hurricanes as teams in the Metro that will probably be better than them. I think the Pens, Islanders, and Jackets, all have a high probability of missing.

I agree about the Islanders and Jackets for sure. Canadians are a maybe to be and depends on if Price stays healthy and how their young kids develop. Pens have Crosby and Malkin who I will not vote against.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I agree about the Islanders and Jackets for sure. Canadians are a maybe to be and depends on if Price stays healthy and how their young kids develop. Pens have Crosby and Malkin who I will not vote against.
That's fair, but adding a goalie was huge for Panthers, it was one of few reasons they missed out last year.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
LOL, What was he supposed to do?
Kane was our best RW, played the most out of RW
Anisimov was our 2nd best C, played the 2nd most mins out of our Cs
Keith was stil lour best Dman, because the rest of the D was garbage, played the most out of our D.

Keep making **** up.

What's not made up is those abysmal numbers. When your best players are minus 20 something someone is not doing their job when it comes to coaching. It must be Kitchen's fault, or one of the other assistants. It couldn't possibly be Q who is responsible. He's a HOFer. LOL :sarcasm:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
What's not made up is those abysmal numbers. When your best players are minus 20 something someone is not doing their job when it comes to coaching. It must be Kitchen's fault, or one of the other assistants. It couldn't possibly be Q who is responsible. He's a HOFer. LOL :sarcasm:
Who is arguing that Q isn't to blame for some of the issues the team had? That's not even what the argument is about, pay attention. And I'm sure one of your favourite coaches that can do no wrong has never had players at -20, nope, never.

He said Q hates players that will be -20, when clearly, he doesn't.

And yeah, he is a 1st ballot hall of famer, knows more about hockey than you will ever know.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Who is arguing that Q isn't to blame for some of the issues the team had? That's not even what the argument is about, pay attention. And I'm sure one of your favourite coaches that can do no wrong has never had players at -20, nope, never.

He said Q hates players that will be -20, when clearly, he doesn't.

And yeah, he is a 1st ballot hall of famer, knows more about hockey than you will ever know.

I refer you to post 54.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
It was but I have a weird feeling that Bob might take his foot off the gas. Nothing to back it up.

I guess I'm not sure what that would look like. He was only .913 last year as it is. I guess my point (not that you don't know this) is that goal-tending performance fluctuates a lot year to year and aside from pulling a Correy Schneider and becoming completely worthless, I'm not sure how you'd be able to tell what was taking his foot off the gas vs the normal up and down.

Still hate the contract because of the term, but he should be a big reason for their improvement. Going from a team .891 sv% (30th) to even middle of the pack will be a huge difference. And there's always the possibility that Bob is on one and they are much better than that.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I refer you to post 54.
Yeah, what was he supposed to do with Kane, his best player? Not play him as much? Not play Anisimov as his 2nd best C and play whom instead? Not play Keith as his best Dman, when clearly he was?

He liked those players, despite their flaws defensively, because he had literally nothing else to use in their place.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I guess I'm not sure what that would look like. He was only .913 last year as it is. I guess my point (not that you don't know this) is that goal-tending performance fluctuates a lot year to year and aside from pulling a Correy Schneider and becoming completely worthless, I'm not sure how you'd be able to tell what was taking his foot off the gas vs the normal up and down.

Still hate the contract because of the term, but he should be a big reason for their improvement. Going from a team .891 sv% (30th) to even middle of the pack will be a huge difference. And there's always the possibility that Bob is on one and they are much better than that.

I don't know and I don't know why I have this gut feeling about Bob but I do.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Yeah, what was he supposed to do with Kane, his best player? Not play him as much? Not play Anisimov as his 2nd best C and play whom instead? Not play Keith as his best Dman, when clearly he was?

He liked those players, despite their flaws defensively, because he had literally nothing else to use in their place.

It is quite obvious that Q inherited a stacked team and he was only as good as the roster. Once the inevitable occurred and the roster weakened, Q was exposed as the average coach that he is. I get a chuckle when he is mentioned with the greats like Scotty, Irvin, Arbor..... so yeah, Panthers would have been better off retaining Gallant, IMO.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
It is quite obvious that Q inherited a stacked team and he was only as good as the roster. Once the inevitable occurred and the roster weakened, Q was exposed as the average coach that he is. I get a chuckle when he is mentioned with the greats like Scotty, Irvin, Arbor..... so yeah, Panthers would have been better off retaining Gallant, IMO.

I remember when the great Scotty Bowman lead the Wings to back to back cups through hardwork and tough love with only 7 HOFers on the team. Now that was coaching! :sarcasm:

(I'm not arguing Q over Scotty at all, but every coach needs talent to win.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawksfly2gether

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad