Rumor: Eklund Rumor re: Hoffman

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
This is purely a rumor and it's from Eklund so take it for what it's worth but he posted about the Hawks trying to get Mike Hoffman from the Panthers and he said the chances of it happening are above 50%.

I wonder what they would have to give up to get the deal done? Hoffman can snipe.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
It's Eklund, which means it's not happening.

Also, where do we get the cap space for him? Not to mention a roster spot? Only way I see this as being possible is if Saad goes to Florida, which I guess could theoretically happen depending on how much Q liked him.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I'd get a Hoffman for Saad deal to clear space for next year's raises. If Lehner is good they have to make room for him as well as Strome, Cat and Gus. I really believe the plan is now to have Lehner take over for Crawford next year with Delia backing him up.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I wanted the Hawks to go after Hoffman after the whole Ottawa locker room fiasco.

Doubt we get him now though. Florida needs him too much.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
I think we’ve made enough moves so far this offseason. Let’s see what we have in camp and pre-season first.

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
What will Hoffman command in his next deal? Wouldn’t trading for him make next year even more painful unless, gasp, the Hawks aren’t planning to keep both Strome and Cat?

ChicagoHockeyFan

Mar 3, 2019
Hoffman would look great on Kane’s wing, another great east west players that Kane seems to play well with like Panarin. I’ve wanted Hoff for a while now

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
As featherhawk noted, the only difference is Kubalik is better defensively. Otherwise they operate the exact same way in the offensive end.
And the biggest difference, Hoffman has scored 25+ goals in the NHL almost every single season and has had a 70pt season. Kubalik has yet to prove he can even play in the NHL.

Sure, Kubalik has a shot like him, so do lots of players that never make it.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
And the biggest difference, Hoffman has scored 25+ goals in the NHL almost every single season and has had a 70pt season. Kubalik has yet to prove he can even play in the NHL.

Sure, Kubalik has a shot like him, so do lots of players that never make it.
I never said Kubalik was a guaranteed 25+ goal scorer. My point is that they play the same way so having both on the same team is redundant.

ChicagoHockeyFan

Mar 3, 2019
IMO having Hoffman would make Kubalik redundant, which makes the hawks better even if Kubalik is expendable. Right now Hoff >Kubalik and I think adding Hoff would make the team a lot better so I would be all for it

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I don’t get how people can say things like this without Kubalik playing a single game in the NHL

Yep. It happens every year. Last year we heard how unproven prospects Sikura and/or Kahun could seamlessly replace Hino's speed game.

The grass is not always greener on the other side.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Seabrook (50% retained) and rights to Perlini for Hoffman ($1.4M retained).

The Hawks would lose $325K in cap space but they would still have around $3M in cap space to sign 2 more forwards and have about $1M for in-season moves.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I like Hoffman a lot as a player, but it's Eklund so you know it's not happening.

Liking him as a player aside though, there's a whole lot of personal crazy on his end that I'd rather not risk bringing into our locker room as well even if he had nothing to do with the pretty horrible stuff that happened behind the scenes with his fiancée and the Karlssons. Maybe unfair as it's still unproven, but man the allegations were the definition of toxic.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Yep. It happens every year. Last year we heard how unproven prospects Sikura and/or Kahun could seamlessly replace Hino's speed game.

The grass is not always greener on the other side.
Kahun pretty much exactly replaced Hinos production? I don’t think a single person said that he’d replace his speed but the production was there.

Reactions: ClydeLee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad