Speculation: Eklund: Rangers Coach "Quietly" Pushing for a Big Trade to Change Culture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I agree with GAG, not sure what basis AV would have to change the culture when he barely knows the players. He has yet to see how they interact as a team, whether in the locker room or on the ice. And it's not like the team has any Avery, Kotalik, Wolski, etc., types that need to be weeded out.

Avery was good in the playoffs. Always one of our better looking playoff guys, why group him in?

I just hope Brassard is safe. Cally and Girardi ain't goin anywhere. I mean, ya I'll take Ovechkin or Datsyuk..

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
1. Eklund = usually not reliable.

2. Bold, mostly agree.

3. Callahan only for enough profit in material received back, from a team like Buffalo that would consider to overpay (esp. if they move Vanek to Wild), + fact that Cally only has so many years left with the way he plays..

4 I could see Girardi, too, but not clear as to replacement.

Wrong. Buffalo is rebuilding. They aren't gonna give pieces they're getting up.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
Maybe it is a minor shake Up like good bye asham Haley and pyatt as fourth liners and looking for fast and other younger talented kids to step in ..
No way in cigar hell will sather trade Callahan ... Ever

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
You are entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own facts. Dubinsky's production rate went up consistently every season but two (his second full season, where they moved him away from Jagr, and his last season here, where he clearly just had a down year).

Excepting those two, his production has steadily gone up (including last year, where he put up the highest production rate of his career).

People here didn't like him because he held out and because they expected him to be a goalscorer (which he never was). The team traded him because Columbus demanded him and they wanted Nash. That's all there is to it.

There where other things that were problematic with Dubinsky.

He obviously micromanaged his own game and changed it to benefit himself and not the team.

I followed Dubi in the WHL and the AHL before he made it to the NHL and saw him change. Early in that time frame, he was a pesky fearless agitator, and it was with that style he was successful with Avery and JJ.

After that, for a year or two, he tried to be a player he was not.

He recovered somewhat, but a lot of water had passed under the bridge so to speak.

Dubi is currently a bit expensive, but I like him as a player don't get me wrong. But, he definitely had some issues.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There where other things that were problematic with Dubinsky.

He obviously micromanaged his own game and changed it to benefit himself and not the team.

I followed Dubi in the WHL and the AHL before he made it to the NHL and saw him change. Early in that time frame, he was a pesky fearless agitator, and it was with that style he was successful with Avery and JJ.

After that, for a year or two, he tried to be a player he was not.

He recovered somewhat, but a lot of water had passed under the bridge so to speak.

Dubi is currently a bit expensive, but I like him as a player don't get me wrong. But, he definitely had some issues.

The problem with this argument for me is that when we drafted Dubinsky he was a 5'10 165 lb. version of Darcy Tucker (Dubi was voted the most hated player in the WHL if I remember correctly)--which is fine but over the next three years he turned into a 6'2 210 lb. player. He had a major growth spurt. That along with JJ mentoring him once he hit the NHL for good. He went from the pesky agitator kind of style more to a power forward style once the Rangers put him on Jagr's line. You could see him mimicking Jagr's style which worked really well with Jagr on his line and not as well when Jagr left. But the growth spurt and the realization that he was bigger and stronger player is why Dubinsky's style changed and to a degree I think he was relearning how to play the game--which wasn't completely successful.

I've never really seen him as a selfish type and he would wade into battles for other teammates even though he's not a particularly good fighter--except when he's fighting Mike Richards. He doesn't strike me as all that mature--somewhat a follower more than a leader like Callahan, Staal or Girardi though he usually played his best in the playoffs.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
What culture does he want to change? These Rangers post-Torts are as boring and cliche off the ice as any NYC sports team in decades. Not that that's a bad thing, but it's not like AV walked into the 2004 Trailblazers or the 1987 Mets.

The guys in the locker room toe the company line, stay out of trouble, keep their comments to themselves (until after the fact) and are still relatively young.

I mean, all the guys who were even slightly outspoken about anything are gone.

Maybe AV wants to give some of these guys a personality.

He inherited a lot of skill and youth, plus a mobile defense. Tell them to press the puck, use the body and shoot the puck all the time and he'll get results

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
The problem with this argument for me is that when we drafted Dubinsky he was a 5'10 165 lb. version of Darcy Tucker (Dubi was voted the most hated player in the WHL if I remember correctly)--which is fine but over the next three years he turned into a 6'2 210 lb. player. He had a major growth spurt. That along with JJ mentoring him once he hit the NHL for good. He went from the pesky agitator kind of style more to a power forward style once the Rangers put him on Jagr's line. You could see him mimicking Jagr's style which worked really well with Jagr on his line and not as well when Jagr left. But the growth spurt and the realization that he was bigger and stronger player is why Dubinsky's style changed and to a degree I think he was relearning how to play the game--which wasn't completely successful.

I think the bolded part is very well said. When you can dump the puck off to an elite player it certainly helps.

I've never really seen him as a selfish type and he would wade into battles for other teammates even though he's not a particularly good fighter--except when he's fighting Mike Richards. He doesn't strike me as all that mature--somewhat a follower more than a leader like Callahan, Staal or Girardi though he usually played his best in the playoffs.

I don't think he was a selfish player either. Clueless and lost at times, but not selfish. He never figured out what kind of player he should be or how the best use his skills. Watching him carry the puck along the boards from left circle to right circle and never doing anything with it was akin to having finger nails being ripped out.

I also think he was a victim of seeing his contemporaries (Staal, Callahan, Girardi) lift their games to higher levels. It was just not as smooth a progression for Dubinsky.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Would love a move for a very good offensive d-man like Edler. Just don't see something like that happening. Only one rumored to be on the market is Yandle. Don't know what the price would be and if we could afford it cap wise.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Would love a move for a very good offensive d-man like Edler. Just don't see something like that happening. Only one rumored to be on the market is Yandle. Don't know what the price would be and if we could afford it cap wise.

Doubt they could afford it cap wise and/or asset wise if we're talking trade.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Trade Sather to Calgary or Edmonton. He just needs a change of scenery to be a good GM again.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
MacTavish just held a press conference to tell everyone that Hemsky is off the market.

So...yeah.

MacTavish doesn't want another Sheldon Souray and was smart to do so. Mike Gillis should be taking notes.

I'll put money on it that Hemsky doesn't finish the season with the Oil.

16 To Stanley*

You said that his play and production never really improved. I pointed out the consistent increase in production, and now your beef is the tired "awful hockey IQ" nonsense (ie- the go to thing people list when they don't like a player for non-hockey reasons)? Yeah. Sure you don't care that he held out. :shakehead

Dubinsky was overrated here. He's a fine role player, but he's not worth top 6 money, which is what he is getting....well maybe not now on the open market, but still.

Also, if you were fine with his "increase" in production, then you had much lower expectations for him than i ever did. He topped out as a good third liner when i certainly expected him at worst to be a good second liner.

16 To Stanley*

Thanks.

But disagree.
Adding Cally makes good $$ sense for Sabes. Depends on cost as to hockey sense.
Possible to find a sweet spot which is win-win for both.

They gave up their version of callahan in pominville, so i'd venture to say you're way wrong on this one, as usual.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
What exactly is wrong with the culture in New York?

The squad they ice is competitive and a legit playoff contender, they just had their offense neutered by Torts despite the fact they possess players like Richards and Nash.

I wouldn't read into this at all, has anybody mentioned the fact that it's a little too late in the summer to move numerous players and just hope they all gel within a month?

This has yet to be proven as fact.

Possible? Of course. Not fact as of yet.

"Players like Richards" especially... no one knows what type he is anymore.

Ask again at x-mas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad