Speculation: Eklund: Rangers Coach "Quietly" Pushing for a Big Trade to Change Culture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Not to add to the credibility of the off-season publicity lies spewed by Eklund, but if AV came in and his first real move is trading away Callahan, the heart of soul of this organization, he would be hated by fans before he even gets a chance to stand behind the bench.

Shape the team how you want, dumping our captain and a guy that this team has been molded after would be dispicable, especially if you're trying to "change the culture." You don't trade away the guy who is the hardest worker, year in year out.

Gotta agree with this. Callahan isn't going to be traded, least of all as a current captain and at the request of a new coach who hasn't stepped on the ice with the team yet.

Girardi, I could see going if Sather could somehow get back a more offensive guy who can play top 4 minutes for Girardi + pick/prospect/replaceable bottom 6 skater. Staal, McD and Girardi are all in fairly similar molds, though hopefully McD and Staal will grow offensively a bit still. Girardi is the most one dimensional, and the least offensively skilled. Having a more offensive player get his minutes could really change things up.

EDIT: Also, maybe it's just me, but I'd be surprised if Richards kept his A this season.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Only thing I can think of is AV wants to bring Morrow in. Morrow has stated that the team he wants to play for is looking for a way to fit him in and AV saw a lot of him in the west. Figure you trade Boyle, MZA and Pyatt, i think they bring in Morrow. Far fetched as all hell but maybe?

I can't see us trading any of those 3, let alone all of them. We just re-signed MZA. Pyatt there probably aren't any takers. And if we wanted to trade Boyle, he would already be gone I'd think.

I'm not interested in bringing in Morrow on anything more than a cheap 1 year deal. If we could find a way to dump Pyatt and give Morrow that money, great. Otherwise I don't see it.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
No coach in the league would want to trade Callahan, even on teams with more depth where he'd be a 3rd liner. Unless it's in a deal to get an elite player, otherwise he is a player every team would love to have. This isn't even a man crush post, I love Callahan, but he's probably not in my top 5 favorite Rangers right now, and he is flawed at times.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Hmm, I figured at this point you guys would understand even the most obvious of jokes/sarcasm

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
Most coaches like to have a couple of "their" guys when they are in a new place to help spread their message.
"Culture Change" could be code for "I want a few of my guys in here".
I could actually see this type of story with Torts making alot of sense. I am sure he wants one or two of his guys with him if he could (Boyle??).
Maybe their is a Van - NYR deal to be made?

I hope it's not Stepan. I read somewhere yesterday (I apologize for not having source handy) that he is insisting on a McD type contract while Rangers insist on the bridge deal.

As many have said though, it probably is nothing and if we do make a trade Sather has a pretty good track record lately.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Hmm, I figured at this point you guys would understand even the most obvious of jokes/sarcasm

There are people that suggest what you suggested and are dead serious, nothing is obvious around here lol.

If AV wants a couple of "his guys" he is familiar with Pyatt, and Raymond is out there, I can see him getting an invite. Generally speaking though the coaches that want "their" guys the most are guys like Keenan and Torts.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I would actually love for this to be true. If nothing else, it would be a funny situation.

So many people making the argument that AV is going to be the guy to get the most out of this roster -- AV comes to town, and his first order of business is to revamp the roster. That'd be poetic justice.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I would actually love for this to be true. If nothing else, it would be a funny situation.

So many people making the argument that AV is going to be the guy to get the most out of this roster -- AV comes to town, and his first order of business is to revamp the roster. That'd be poetic justice.
You mean exactly what happened with the last coaching change?

Championship*

It's tough to discuss a rumor that has no basis in reality. Makes zero sense. The Rangers need a culture change? Who would that be? Logically it makes no sense. How can one discuss something that isn't a rumor from a notable, credible source or at least something that makes sense in this realm of reality?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Seems a little late in the game for something like this.

Agreed. AV has had months to make his imprint on the roster. Why wait until now?

It's a week away from training camp. These guys have been privately working out together all summer. To shake things up right before the doors open up makes little to no sense.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
His message board is filled with winners. Trades that bring Lou in the fold.
Its because of Lou that AV did not win at least one cup out in Canuckistan

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
His message board is filled with winners. Trades that bring Lou in the fold.
Its because of Lou that AV did not win at least one cup out in Canuckistan
The Canucks scored 3 goals in their 4 losses to the Bruins in 2011.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Eklund fantasy BS

Hank, Boyle, Richards for The Sedins, Luongo and a 1st. DUH...

Rangers trade Pyatt for a 4th
Vancouver signa Prospal and Morrow to short deals

Wow, he is into something here :facepalm:

2013/2014 NYR

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Derek Stepan ($2.800m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Benoit Pouliot ($1.300m) / Derick Brassard ($3.200m) / Mats Zuccarello ($1.150m)
Chris Kreider ($1.325m) / Dominic Moore ($1.000m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Brandon Mashinter ($0.605m)

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dan Girardi ($3.325m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Anton Stralman ($1.700m)
Michael Del Zotto ($2.550m) / John Moore ($0.965m)
Justin Falk ($0.975m)

GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Martin Biron ($1.300m)
OTHER

Buried:
Darroll Powe ($0.142m)
Arrondera Asham ($0.075m)
------
TOTALS
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000;
CAP PAYROLL: $64,503,333;
BONUSES: $762,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $559,167

2013/2014 Vancouver Nucks

FORWARDS
Brenden Morrow ($2.100m) / Brad Richards ($6.667m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Vinny Prospal ($2.000m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m)
Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Jordan Schroeder ($0.600m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Dale Weise ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Chris Tanev ($1.500m) / Yannick Weber ($0.650m)
Frank Corrado ($0.599m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
TOTALS
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000
CAP PAYROLL: $63,261,111
BONUSES: $500,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster):$1,438,889

Pretty drunk btw

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I don't see the correlation.

The Rangers already changed their culture by hiring AV. It's the coaches job to create or change the culture, its not up to the players.

Now, if you are talking about reshaping the roster to better suit your system, that's a different story. But I can't see how AV and the rest of the staff would come to a sound conclusion about that considering they haven't been with any of them on the ice, let alone seeing them within the system they want to institute.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Agreed. AV has had months to make his imprint on the roster. Why wait until now?

It's a week away from training camp. These guys have been privately working out together all summer. To shake things up right before the doors open up makes little to no sense.

IF this rumors is based on a real tip (and I doubt that) the only motive I can see if trying to get the rumor mill working to put a little pressure on Stepan to sign.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
since this whole thing is purely unfounded unlikely speculation, these are my Cap-compatible daydreams

Richards for Stastny or Phaneuf and I'm cool with that.

Staal to 'Canes if Justin Faulk comes back, i'm cool with that too.

Del Zotto for Nugent-Hopkins, i'm cool with that

If Ottawa wanted Boyle in a package for Gryba and Obrien (or Stone), that might work.

otherwise, let it be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad