Value of: Ekholm to Toronto

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
At the time that I write this thread Toronto is sitting 1st overall in the NHL and are looking for the final piece to put them over the top, and while they are looking to acquire a top 6 winger , and they should be, I would love to add Ekholm to the defense.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Think the value would be great for the leafs. You can never have enough good defense. But where does he play and would they want to pay the price for him?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
We'd need to protect him in expansion and so one of our D is gone from our top 4. Is it Holl, Muzzin, Rielly, or Brodie? And who does he upgrade us on? I think upgrading our second pair if it's Holl for the cost doesn't make sense given how well Holl has played. On top of that, it basically means Dermott is gone as well as the Leafs would have 10 NHL dmen (Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin, Holl, Ekholm, Dermott, Bogosian, Sandin, Lehtonen, then Liljegren/Rosen/Marincin).

I think an upgrade to our secondary scoring is a much bigger need. Defensive numbers look good this year, it' our goaltending killing us most nights if you believe advanced stats.

Reactions: Big Sugar

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
The Muzzin deal is a good comp. A 1st this year and 2 solid prospects.

My concern is what you send the other way to make the money work and where he plays? He moves Muzzin down to #3 LD, right?... Really nice point contributor, so I think he fetches more than Muzzin, especially retained.

To Nashville
2021 first round pick
Timothy Liljegren
Pierre Engvall (money)

To Toronto
Tobias Ekholm

Maybe you can get away with sending Niemela back the other way instead of Liljegren if you're willing to add a 2nd round pick to make up the difference.

I just don't think this is a pressing need for Toronto.

I'd rather try to make a big splash by getting Forsberg or Granlund retained, if we're going to deal with Nashville.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We'd need to protect him in expansion and so one of our D is gone from our top 4. Is it Holl, Muzzin, Rielly, or Brodie? And who does he upgrade us on? I think upgrading our second pair if it's Holl for the cost doesn't make sense given how well Holl has played. On top of that, it basically means Dermott is gone as well as the Leafs would have 10 NHL dmen (Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin, Holl, Ekholm, Dermott, Bogosian, Sandin, Lehtonen, then Liljegren/Rosen/Marincin).

I think an upgrade to our secondary scoring is a much bigger need. Defensive numbers look good this year, it' our goaltending killing us most nights if you believe advanced stats.

It would be Holl.

But regardless this is about winning a cup.

You add Ekholm and you have a championship level defense

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
It would be Holl.

But regardless this is about winning a cup.

You add Ekholm and you have a championship level defense

Is the difference between Ekholm and Holl really that big tho to justify a 1st ++? I mean Holl has been REALLY good and played some hard minutes against the McDavid's, Petterssons, etc and come out on top. I just think if we are moving a package like that, it makes more sense to upgrade on the rotating cast of wingers that have been on LW in our top 6 this year. Add a Josh Anderson of our own to our top 6 and we are really dangerous.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Is the difference between Ekholm and Holl really that big tho to justify a 1st ++? I mean Holl has been REALLY good and played some hard minutes against the McDavid's, Petterssons, etc and come out on top. I just think if we are moving a package like that, it makes more sense to upgrade on the rotating cast of wingers that have been on LW in our top 6 this year. Add a Josh Anderson of our own to our top 6 and we are really dangerous.

Ekholm has averaged about 35 points over the past 5 years. He's a far more gifted offensive player, to go along with his two way ability, than Holl is.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015

You can never have enough great defensively minded defensemen. Rolling Ekholm-Muzzin and Holl-Bogosian in the playoffs after Brodie-Rielly would be great.

It's worth a significant price. I would gladly pay a first + Robertson/Sandin to get that for the playoffs.

Reactions: BHD

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
My concern is what you send the other way to make the money work and where he plays? He moves Muzzin down to #3 LD, right?... Really nice point contributor, so I think he fetches more than Muzzin, especially retained.

To Nashville
2021 first round pick
Timothy Liljegren
Pierre Engvall (money)

To Toronto
Tobias Ekholm

Maybe you can get away with sending Niemela back the other way instead of Liljegren if you're willing to add a 2nd round pick to make up the difference.

I just don't think this is a pressing need for Toronto.

I'd rather try to make a big splash by getting Forsberg or Granlund retained, if we're going to deal with Nashville.
o_O

i dont see how he fetches more because of point contribution. He doesnt score any more than Muzzin did in LA.

If Muzzin couldnt get Liljegren i dont think he would go in this deal. I think a Hallander/Hirvonen could go in the deal but not a top tier guy in our system like Liljegren.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I think having 5 top 4 caliber D is always a good thing

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013

That's why I would go all out for Forsberg, retained. He'd be such a stud addition on Tavares' wing for the next 1.5 years, at which point you could decide if you want to extend him.

6'1, 205lb, awesome top 6 winger, signed through next year.

To Nashville
Kerfoot (money)
Amirov
Another prospect
2021 1st round pick

To Toronto
Filip Forsberg @ 2.5 million retained to match contracts with Kerfoot.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
o_O

i dont see how he fetches more because of point contribution. He doesnt score any more than Muzzin did in LA.

If Muzzin couldnt get Liljegren i dont think he would go in this deal. I think a Hallander/Hirvonen could go in the deal but not a top tier guy in our system like Liljegren.

I think Nashville would be stupid to take Hirvonen or Hallander and I think they'll get more from somebody else, than what you're offering.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
That's why I would go all out for Forsberg, retained. He'd be such a stud addition on Tavares' wing for the next 1.5 years, at which point you could decide if you want to extend him.

6'1, 205lb, awesome top 6 winger, signed through next year.

To Nashville
Kerfoot (money)
Amirov
Another prospect
2021 1st round pick

To Toronto
Filip Forsberg @ 2.5 million retained to match contracts with Kerfoot.

He would be a good fit for our needs to be fair. I just don't think fans will want to part with him for more than a big overpayment for many reasons. Whether management is more impartial and would move him and for what, that is another question.

I also struggle to want to give up Amirov. I might do it in this package but I'd need to think about it and really make sure he is still the player we think he is.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I think Nashville would be stupid to take Hirvonen or Hallander and I think they'll get more from somebody else, than what you're offering.
a 1st+Hirvonen/Hallander and say like Mikko Kokkonen is a good offer and in line with the Muzzin deal.

i dont doubt there will be plenty of interest and if someone wants to bid higher so be it. but i top out at that. i dont give up a 1st and someone like Liljegren.

i am kind of contradicting my comments in another thread but i am almost starting to have more interest in Forsberg is the price is the same.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
He would be a good fit for our needs to be fair. I just don't think fans will want to part with him for more than a big overpayment for many reasons. Whether management is more impartial and would move him and for what, that is another question.

I also struggle to want to give up Amirov. I might do it in this package but I'd need to think about it and really make sure he is still the player we think he is.

I'd do it all day. Forsberg is 26 years old, signed through next year. Yes, he'll be due a raise following next year, but I think he gives you the flexibility to extend and move on from Nylander at the end of next year and acquire a boat load of assets in return for Willy to keep the core strong... Think of that big picture.

You give of Amirov this year, to add Forsberg for a cup run, then you flip Nylander next year and get more in return than you paid for Forsberg, due to Willy being locked up and 2 years younger... You extend Forsberg, who become part of your core and you managed your assetts great in the process.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015

If they're the main pieces going back to Nashville for Ekholm, Nashville says no. They're going to request a stud prospect like Robertson, Sandin, or Amirov and a first.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
a 1st+Hirvonen/Hallander and say like Mikko Kokkonen is a good offer and in line with the Muzzin deal.

i dont doubt there will be plenty of interest and if someone wants to bid higher so be it. but i top out at that. i dont give up a 1st and someone like Liljegren.

i am kind of contradicting my comments in another thread but i am almost starting to have more interest in Forsberg is the price is the same.

At the very least I think it costs you...

1st round pick
Hallander
Niemela

I don't think the Preds are going to be stupid and not take one of Toronto's 3 stud defensive prospects back in the deal. I think they hang up the phone on you if you're not willing to add one of those guys in the conversation.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
If they're the main pieces going back to Nashville for Ekholm, Nashville says no. They're going to request a stud prospect like Robertson, Sandin, or Amirov and a first.

Agreed, entirely. Nashville would be ridiculous to move Elkholm in a deal that didn't have one of Robertson, Sandin, Liljegren, Amirov or Niemela in the package. Elkholm is a stud, in his prime, on an excellent contract.

Reactions: Viqsi

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Ekholm hasn't been as good as he usually is the past year or so but I fault that more to the entire team and structure. Still a borderline top pair defenseman. The Preds need high 1sts or A prospects right now so since Torontos' 1st will be late, it'll have to be saddled with one of their better prospects too.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Ekholm hasn't been as good as he usually is the past year or so but I fault that more to the entire team and structure. Still a borderline top pair defenseman. The Preds need high 1sts or A prospects right now so since Torontos' 1st will be late, it'll have to be saddled with one of their better prospects too.

Of course. Anybody reasonable would agree that upper end prospect would need to be heading the other way, considering Toronto's 1st round pick will likely be very late.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
At the very least I think it costs you...

1st round pick
Hallander
Niemela

I don't think the Preds are going to be stupid and not take one of Toronto's 3 stud defensive prospects back in the deal. I think they hang up the phone on you if you're not willing to add one of those guys in the conversation.

if they hang up like you say so be it. i wouldnt be willing to overpay at Nashvilles discretion. and i doubt they get any deals that are significantly better.

as for the deal listed i would probably pull the trigger. i would just be wary of a Niemela deal as i think the sky is his ceiling. but if we are at the deadline looking to make a cup run and this is presented, i probably do it.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
if they hang up like you say so be it. i wouldnt be willing to overpay at Nashvilles discretion. and i doubt they get any deals that are significantly better.

as for the deal listed i would probably pull the trigger. i would just be wary of a Niemela deal as i think the sky is his ceiling. but if we are at the deadline looking to make a cup run and this is presented, i probably do it.

At some point, you have to be willing to move quality assets to get good players. Toronto's 1st round pick isn't highly valued this year. It should be a bottom 5 pick in the round. If it were a top 15 pick, that's a different story.

I think Niemela would be around the floor in terms of the key prospect that Nashville would be willing to take in return for Ekholm. They'd likely have to be negotiated with down to that, because their initial ask would almost certainly involve Sandin or Liljegren.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad