Value of: Ekholm to Toronto

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
At some point, you have to be willing to move quality assets to get good players. Toronto's 1st round pick isn't highly valued this year. It should be a bottom 5 pick in the round. If it were a top 15 pick, that's a different story.

I think Niemela would be around the floor in terms of the key prospect that Nashville would be willing to take in return for Ekholm. They'd likely have to be negotiated with down to that, because their initial ask would almost certainly involve Sandin or Liljegren.
1st round picks are never not highly valued.

i bet they would start at Liljegren but i cant see them getting a 1st and him. if this were a larger blockbuster deal Liljegren could be here. but at that point it would just get unrealistic (im talking Ekholm+Forsberg)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
A 1st, Niemela and SDA or 2nd, Liljegren, SDA probably the rough value. Maybe give Nashville the option to defer the pick to 2022, depending on where the pick ends up this year, how they think we will be next year, how many players they like this year, etc.

Leafs probably then run a D of

Muzzin - Ekholm/Holl
Rielly - Brodie
Dermott - Holl/Ekholm

With Bogosian, and Lehtonen as the spares. Holl heads to Seattle in expansion most likely.

Edit: Playing around on capfriendly, the only way any Ekholm to Toronto trade works, is if Kerfoot goes the other way, or he's the only one we acquire (no Granlund, or Jarnkrok) and it's at a retained rate. It likely doesn't work.

Any trade between Nashville and Toronto is likely just on the side of Granlund or Jarnkrok perhaps with some retention (Granlund) for Engvall and a draft pick

Last edited:

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
As a Leaf fan, I am reluctant to give up prospects from the dmen pool. Leafs are much stronger on the forward pool of prospects.

Niemela for me has sky high potential because of his IQ and they way exhibited this IQ at the WJC.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
We'd need to protect him in expansion and so one of our D is gone from our top 4. Is it Holl, Muzzin, Rielly, or Brodie? And who does he upgrade us on? I think upgrading our second pair if it's Holl for the cost doesn't make sense given how well Holl has played. On top of that, it basically means Dermott is gone as well as the Leafs would have 10 NHL dmen (Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin, Holl, Ekholm, Dermott, Bogosian, Sandin, Lehtonen, then Liljegren/Rosen/Marincin).

I think an upgrade to our secondary scoring is a much bigger need. Defensive numbers look good this year, it' our goaltending killing us most nights if you believe advanced stats.
We are already looking at having to expose one. Adding another good D is an expansion problem. Can't go for a guy with term with expansion coming.

It's 7 forwards, 3 d and a goalie or 8 skaters and a goalie.

Matthews
Tavares
Marner
Nylander
Hyman
Kerfoot
Mikheyev

Rielly
Muzzin
Brodie/Holl

Campbell

We could go 8 and 1

Matthews
Tavares
Marner
Nylander
Rielly
Muzzin
Brodie
Holl

Campbell

The second one is us risking Hyman or Kerfoot which might be better than losing Holl but Hyman is a big deal arund here.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Having seen what a 1st has gotten Nashville back in many years of contender status....Holy shit would I have been excited if the returns were close to Ekholm, Forsberg, Arvidsson types that we are talking about moving. We got Paul Gaustead and Cody Franson/Mike Santorelli. WTF is that?

Reactions: Nihiliste

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Having seen what a 1st has gotten Nashville back in many years of contender status....Holy shit would I have been excited if the returns were close to Ekholm, Forsberg, Arvidsson types that we are talking about moving. We got Paul Gaustead and Cody Franson/Mike Santorelli. WTF is that?

It's not just firsts to be fair, there are some significant prospects being discussed as part of the package as well.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
As much as I'd love to add Ekholm, the timing is weird with Expansion coming up.

The Leafs would pay a premium for him now, and put themselves in a position where they expose a good Top 4 D on the current roster, effectively adding the lost player to the price paid for Ekholm.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
We are already looking at having to expose one. Adding another good D is an expansion problem. Can't go for a guy with term with expansion coming.

It's 7 forwards, 3 d and a goalie or 8 skaters and a goalie.

Matthews
Tavares
Marner
Nylander
Hyman
Kerfoot
Mikheyev

Rielly
Muzzin
Brodie/Holl

Campbell

We could go 8 and 1

Matthews
Tavares
Marner
Nylander
Rielly
Muzzin
Brodie
Holl

Campbell

The second one is us risking Hyman or Kerfoot which might be better than losing Holl but Hyman is a big deal arund here.
Hyman is a UFA so i dont think theres much to worry about there. i think the 8 skater option is better and risk Kerfoot/Mikheyev/Dermott

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Hyman is a UFA so i dont think theres much to worry about there. i think the 8 skater option is better and risk Kerfoot/Mikheyev/Dermott
You are probably right about Hyman, he and Freddy are no risk to expose but we could extend him prior, difficult without knowing their understanding. He seems like someone who would let us expose him knowing we plan to sign him after. Even if we go 8 and 1 we still have 4 forwards we have to protect which means exposing anyone new or exposing Holl instead. It's probably simpler to not add anyone with term unless he's someone special

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
You are probably right about Hyman, he and Freddy are no risk to expose but we could extend him prior, difficult without knowing their understanding. He seems like someone who would let us expose him knowing we plan to sign him after. Even if we go 8 and 1 we still have 4 forwards we have to protect which means exposing anyone new or exposing Holl instead. It's probably simpler to not add anyone with term unless he's someone special
yeah i think players looking for an extension would wait to sign it until after the expansion draft. maybe a handshake deal and wait to put pen to the paper until after.

i agree with the last part. getting a rental almost makes more sense. because spending more assets for someone with an extra year just to potentially lose him makes no sense.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin

Don't forget Ryan Hartman.

Reactions: Nihiliste

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
As a Leaf fan, I am reluctant to give up prospects from the dmen pool. Leafs are much stronger on the forward pool of prospects.

Niemela for me has sky high potential because of his IQ and they way exhibited this IQ at the WJC.

And while I agree with all of that, we shouldn't expect an Ekholm caliber defenseman in return, especially retained, unless we're going to draw from the top end of our forward pool, which is basically Robertson and Amirov... Neither of which most people want to move for a 30 year old defenseman, given our immediate need for scoring depth in the top 9.

We have 3 high end defensive prospects In Liljegren, Sandin and Niemela, compared to the 2 high end forward prospects. For the sake of organizational balance, I suspect a defenseman might be easier for the Leafs to stomach moving, especially when you consider how close Liljegren and Sandin are to being legitimate, every day contributors on the Leafs roster that is looking to contend. That, combined with lack of room that will exist on a d-core that you would be adding Elkholm to, means that opportunities for young defensemen would me limited over the next 3-4 years.

Nashville will care less about getting a "ready now" prospect, as they enter their rebuild, therefore a guy on Niemela's timeline (relative to growth and contract) probably best suits their organizational structure right now. He would be able to grow within their organization as they rebuild, without immediate contractual demands that will hurt them in terms of cap or real money.

Last edited:

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
My concern is what you send the other way to make the money work and where he plays? He moves Muzzin down to #3 LD, right?... Really nice point contributor, so I think he fetches more than Muzzin, especially retained.

To Nashville
2021 first round pick
Timothy Liljegren
Pierre Engvall (money)

To Toronto
Tobias Ekholm

Maybe you can get away with sending Niemela back the other way instead of Liljegren if you're willing to add a 2nd round pick to make up the difference.

I just don't think this is a pressing need for Toronto.

I'd rather try to make a big splash by getting Forsberg or Granlund retained, if we're going to deal with Nashville.

Is Tobias Ekholm any relation to Mattias Ekholm? Hopefully the Preds don’t trade the better of the two.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Leaf fans need to relax about the expansion draft worry about that in july when it it's relevant right now you are trying to win a cup and getting Ekholm gives you a top 5 of

Rielly
Brodie
Muzzin
Ekholm
Holl

With Bogosian, Sandin Dermott and Lehtonen fighting it out for #6 that is a championship level defense and that's the goal.

"But, but but we might lose Dermott or Holl in expansion so what? Who cares? Seriously who cares?

are you telling me we couldn't get by next season with Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin, Ekholm one of Holl or Dermott and then one or Bogosian if he stays or a free agent at #6?

Are you telling me you couldn't get by with that?

Because the way I see it if you pick up Ekholm losing one of Holl or Dermott means NOTHING, less than nothing.

Last edited:

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I'll high jack and make it about Fillip Forsberg.

Forsberg (Retained 50%) for Kerfoot, 1st, and one of any prospect not named Sandin or Robertson. (Amirov, Liljegren, Neimla are best options)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
A 1st, Niemela and SDA or 2nd, Liljegren, SDA probably the rough value. Maybe give Nashville the option to defer the pick to 2022, depending on where the pick ends up this year, how they think we will be next year, how many players they like this year, etc.

Leafs probably then run a D of

Muzzin - Ekholm/Holl
Rielly - Brodie
Dermott - Holl/Ekholm

With Bogosian, and Lehtonen as the spares. Holl heads to Seattle in expansion most likely.

Edit: Playing around on capfriendly, the only way any Ekholm to Toronto trade works, is if Kerfoot goes the other way, or he's the only one we acquire (no Granlund, or Jarnkrok) and it's at a retained rate. It likely doesn't work.

Any trade between Nashville and Toronto is likely just on the side of Granlund or Jarnkrok perhaps with some retention (Granlund) for Engvall and a draft pick

I'd be ok with with Ekholm being the "only" one we acquire look at the defense you just posted

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
At the right price, I'd certainly be interested.
But I would think Nashville should be wanting more than we should be spending.
And we have bigger holes to fill.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
You can never have enough great defensively minded defensemen. Rolling Ekholm-Muzzin and Holl-Bogosian in the playoffs after Brodie-Rielly would be great.

It's worth a significant price. I would gladly pay a first + Robertson/Sandin to get that for the playoffs.

Yeah no... Robertson and Sandin are going nowhere. Lilly can be had but not the other two. They will be key elc pieces

TK

Feb 26, 2019

Forsberg (Retained 50%) for Kerfoot, 1st, and one of any prospect not named Sandin or Robertson. (Amirov, Liljegren, Neimla are best options)

You don't think Nashville could very easily find something better than this?

Reactions: triggrman

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin

You don't get to list untouchable prospects for Forsberg, especially when we're retaining half and taking back a player we don't really want in Kerfoot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->