Value of: Ekholm to the Oilers

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
I'm not a fan of any one team, but I watch the Oilers and the Predators a great deal. The Oilers' biggest need is (obviously) an all-round defenseman who can quarter-back the power play. Looking around the league, there aren't a great deal of them available, but Nashville has a ridiculous surplus in Subban, Josi, Ellis, and Ekholm. At times, Ekholm struggles to get power play minutes, and considering that Nashville *reportedly* offered him in a 3 way trade involving Turris & Duchene this season, I wonder if they'd consider moving him. And if so, what would they be wanting in return from Edmonton?

If I were Peter Chiarelli, I'd consider moving their 1st Round pick this season (provided they don't win the lottery). Actually, that's not entirely true. If I were Peter Chiarelli, I'd play solitaire on my computer all summer and then trade Draisaitl for Brett Pesce, but you get the idea. Somebody needs to do the groundwork for him.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Nashvilles top 4 is great. Real strength of their team. Their bottom two and depth outside of Fabbro isn't great. Why they would trade Ekholm on that contract at all is beffuddling to me.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
Nashvilles top 4 is great. Real strength of their team. Their bottom two and depth outside of Fabbro isn't great. Why they would trade Ekholm on that contract at all is beffuddling to me.

Well, like any trade, they would if they felt that the return justified it. I certainly never implied that they're actively shopping him, but with their depth at D, they'd seem to be one of the only teams the Oilers could target for such a player. And since Nashville isn't making full use of his offensive potential, I'm curious if he might have more value to Edmonton.

Source please?

Sens, Avs, Preds discussed three-way trade involving Duchene, Turris - Sportsnet.ca

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
How does getting a first round pick this season help Nashville win immediately? Their goal isn't to build up the prospect pool, or else they wouldn't have traded Girard in the Turris deal.

Reactions: ThirdManIn

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
I'm not a fan of any one team, but I watch the Oilers and the Predators a great deal. The Oilers' biggest need is (obviously) an all-round defenseman who can quarter-back the power play. Looking around the league, there aren't a great deal of them available, but Nashville has a ridiculous surplus in Subban, Josi, Ellis, and Ekholm. At times, Ekholm struggles to get power play minutes, and considering that Nashville *reportedly* offered him in a 3 way trade involving Turris & Duchene this season, I wonder if they'd consider moving him. And if so, what would they be wanting in return from Edmonton?

If I were Peter Chiarelli, I'd consider moving their 1st Round pick this season (provided they don't win the lottery). Actually, that's not entirely true. If I were Peter Chiarelli, I'd play solitaire on my computer all summer and then trade Draisaitl for Brett Pesce, but you get the idea. Somebody needs to do the groundwork for him.

Well picking 10th overall now, I have heard of talk of Chia flipping the pick to Nashville for Ryan Ellis but he's not signed long term and that worries me. He's likely the odd man out if they trade another d man and the experienced offensive RD that the Oilers are more likely to be looking for. And the Preds could draft a guy like Ty Smith to replace Ellis down the road and with Smith and Fabbro coming, they'd still be in solid shape for the future!

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
How does getting a first round pick this season help Nashville win immediately? Their goal isn't to build up the prospect pool, or else they wouldn't have traded Girard in the Turris deal.

I'm not claiming expertise. I'm simply curious if folks think he could be moved, and if so, what they think Nashville would want in return for him. I'm not 'offering' the pick, because it's absurd for hockey fans to make offers... I'm just saying that if I were in Chiarelli's position, that pick would certainly be moveable. And picks are just assets until they're used. Nashville might want to use such a pick to acquire something they might be missing.

If you feel the answer is Draisaitl, or something else that Edmonton would never trade in such a deal, then that's fine.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I'm not claiming expertise. I'm simply curious if folks think he could be moved, and if so, what they think Nashville would want in return for him. I'm not 'offering' the pick, because it's absurd for hockey fans to make offers... I'm just saying that if I were in Chiarelli's position, that pick would certainly be moveable. And picks are just assets until they're used. Nashville might want to use such a pick to acquire something they might be missing.

If you feel the answer is Draisaitl, or something else that Edmonton would never trade in such a deal, then that's fine.

Nashville does not need Edmonton to help them facilitate a deal for a forward. If they wanted a forward and was willing to trade Ekholm, many teams would come knocking on their doors.

For someone who's not a fan of any team, you sure sound like an Edmonton fan. Going by your posts here and in your history, that would seem to be the case.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Well picking 10th overall now, I have heard of talk of Chia flipping the pick to Nashville for Ryan Ellis but he's not signed long term and that worries me. He's likely the odd man out if they trade another d man and the experienced offensive RD that the Oilers are more likely to be looking for. And the Preds could draft a guy like Ty Smith to replace Ellis down the road and with Smith and Fabbro coming, they'd still be in solid shape for the future!
What talk, outside of internet message boards, is that? Iffy chance the 10th pick even becomes as impactful player as Ellis and makes little sense for a team trying to compete now.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
Nashville does not need Edmonton to help them facilitate a deal for a forward. If they wanted a forward and was willing to trade Ekholm, many teams would come knocking on their doors.

For someone who's not a fan of any team, you sure sound like an Edmonton fan. Going by your posts here and in your history, that would seem to be the case.

I don't get where the hostility comes from.

Believe it or not, there are fans of the game of hockey who don't care which team wins. I watch Edmonton a great deal because I love watching Connor McDavid play... and I hate seeing their power play ruined because they don't have a defenseman who's capable of keeping the puck in at the blue line, never mind making a play. I also have a great deal of admiration for Ekholm, but have watched many games where he wasn't even playing on the 2nd power play. Hence, I'm curious if something could be worked out between them.

And since you looked at my post history, you probably saw lots of posts praising players like Forsberg, Malkin, Klingberg etc., as well. I'm not trying to shatter your entire world view, but some of us just love great hockey and great players.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I don't get where the hostility comes from.

Believe it or not, there are fans of the game of hockey who don't care which team wins. I watch Edmonton a great deal because I love watching Connor McDavid play... and I hate seeing their power play ruined because they don't have a defenseman who's capable of keeping the puck in at the blue line, never mind making a play. I also have a great deal of admiration for Ekholm, but have watched many games where he wasn't even playing on the 2nd power play. Hence, I'm curious if something could be worked out between them.

And since you looked at my post history, you probably saw lots of posts praising players like Forsberg, Malkin, Klingberg etc., as well. I'm not trying to shatter your entire world view, but some of us just love great hockey and great players.

Where's the concern for Nashville's needs?

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
Poile typically only trades a defenseman for another defenseman. Seriously look up his trade history.

So probably Klefbom.

That's an interesting point about Poile. He does love that depth on defense.

In the event that Chiarelli could get Ekholm for Klefbom+, that would be great for the Oilers.

Popular opinion is that Klefbom is a pretty decent commodity, but I didn't see it this year. He'll probably bounce back, but lacks the offensive awareness Ekholm possesses.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Nope, didn't happen. We'd only be interested in McDavid and Draisaitl and that isn't happening.

If Preds get bounced by Jets I see a Draisaitl/Subban deal possible.
Preds need a playoff beast up front and Johansen isn't it

manroth19

May 20, 2015
Makes me laugh as I remember years ago saying Edmonton should trade Taylor Hall for #1(Ekblad) and Edmonton fans had their pitch forks out.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I'd actually be willing to trade Ekholm for 10th overall and Nurse. I'm really high on Nurse and he was actually a very good player this season, definitely a top 4 D currently. Nurse was basically Ekholm in 2014-2015. Oilers get a much needed upgrade on D that can play all situations. Preds slightly downgrade on Ekholm and get a great prospect with the 10th overall pick. With Ekholm's fantastic contract, Chia should be smart and secure himself a true 1D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad